October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

More Silver Tower Stuff

More
23 Sep 2016 08:40 #234848 by hotseatgames
He should just make an account here. He could probably retire just from us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2016 08:53 #234851 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic More Silver Tower Stuff

Michael Barnes wrote: He does. Don't bother with the Web site, just get on the mailing list. He sends out a price sheet with it.

alright, on the list I go...

until I get an update, any idea if he has that dungeon saga furniture or door packs?

More
23 Sep 2016 19:43 - 23 Sep 2016 19:46 #234906 by Michael Barnes
$12.41 a piece. Down from $17.99 retail. I _think_ with some of that stuff he orders based on his orders, so it may take a few days extra to get it. I don't think he actually has a retail store or inventory beyond the new/best selling stuff. Kind of like how I ran Factory Games after the store shut down.

He usually runs a "Crazy Sale" where you can get something for really cheap if you include it with a $100 order. He did Silver Tower for FIFTY BUCKS back in August.

I have no idea how he does it...because GW's wholesale prices are terrible. Unless he is just loss-leading like a MF and making it up with volume. Chaos Orc is the only site that has competitive prices, they're easier to order from/deal with but I like going through Dan. And shipping is free. It's crazy. You'd have to be foolish to buy new GW (or PP, or Mantic...) anywhere else. I don't think he sells individual Citadel paints though, which kind of stinks because I would do all my paint buying there.

Need to see if he got those Deadeye Archers for Black Plague in...
Last edit: 23 Sep 2016 19:46 by Michael Barnes.

More
24 Sep 2016 08:45 #234915 by Mr. White
Those miniature packs come with 9 figs...$13 shipped is a great price!

sold!

More
25 Sep 2016 16:04 - 25 Sep 2016 20:58 #234945 by Mr. White
Somebody tell me why i should jump into the Silver Tower rather than AHQ or WHQ proper. The former have campaign rules... ST doesn't. I understand silver tower is easy, so how replayable is it?

I understand the heroes in the old world. Explain to me how a Sigmarine and a chaos warrior are adventuring together? As well as a skink, a chaos sorcerer, skaven warlock, etc. I mean lizards (in WFB) hate chaos and skaven...I need help seeing a skink tagging up with them.

What does it mean?
Last edit: 25 Sep 2016 20:58 by Mr. White.

More
26 Sep 2016 00:47 #234957 by Mr. White
The bottom of this page...are these the same characters from the app and cards?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_Quest:_Silver_Tower
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
26 Sep 2016 04:27 #234959 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: Somebody tell me why i should jump into the Silver Tower rather than AHQ or WHQ proper. The former have campaign rules... ST doesn't. I understand silver tower is easy, so how replayable is it?

It's very replayable. The "scenarios" are really just bookends to a bunch of random stuff: each time you play you'll have different tiles and different encounters and they'll likely behave differently. There's also a random encounter book with a bunch of choose your own adventure type paragraphs which are well-written, imaginative and even contain a bunch of cool mini-games. And how many long-running campaign board games have you actually finished? Honestly?

Mr. White wrote: I understand the heroes in the old world. Explain to me how a Sigmarine and a chaos warrior are adventuring together? As well as a skink, a chaos sorcerer, skaven warlock, etc. I mean lizards (in WFB) hate chaos and skaven...I need help seeing a skink tagging up with them.

The fluff goes that they're all seeking a wish from the Gaunt Summoner, the master of the tower. If you can find and defeat him, he will grant you your desires whether they be for good or evil. But the tower is such a dangerous place that even sworn enemies have to work together to survive and beat the Summoner.

It works for the heroes in the box. I agree that it's a bit thin stretched to the massive variety of heroes you can get in the app.

More
26 Sep 2016 05:45 #234961 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: The bottom of this page...are these the same characters from the app and cards?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_Quest:_Silver_Tower

Don't know for absolute certain, but this review of the Sorceress, for example, suggests that they are:

areteandtabletop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/...l-hold-distress.html

More
26 Sep 2016 08:17 - 26 Sep 2016 08:27 #234965 by Mr. White
I guess I do have some more question about the setting...

Do the humans, elves, lizardmen, orcs, skaven, whatever live on the same planet like they did in the Old World, or are they on different planets/dimensions now? I guess the Stormcast guys teleport around or something, but how do orcs fight elves if they don't live on the same planet?

Are there regular dwarves or just nekkid fyreslayers?

About Silver Tower itself...I understand there may be an undead themed base game this winter. Any more on that? In a way, I kind of like the idea of big box iterations only. Too often when there are a bunch of little expansions we find ourselves with games that outgrow the boxes. At big boxes only, we only pull down the adventure we want to go on. Don't have to lug around 3-4 boxes because your heroes are in one, monsters in another, all the cards in a third, etc.

Also, about the minis. I guess I thought I read that the AoS line is 30-32mm...If I bought, say, the dark elf sorceress is she still the old 28mm or are AoS close in line with the older line? I guess it ultimately doesn't matter, but I can see myself only getting into heroes that are the same scale to each other.

EDIT: oh, one thing I miss though are true character sheets. I like naming my own dudes and writing stuff down with a pencil. I very much see myself cooking up some AoS style character sheets of some nature.

Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 08:27 by Mr. White.

More
26 Sep 2016 09:05 #234966 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: Do the humans, elves, lizardmen, orcs, skaven, whatever live on the same planet like they did in the Old World, or are they on different planets/dimensions now? I guess the Stormcast guys teleport around or something, but how do orcs fight elves if they don't live on the same planet?

I don't really know. This is Age of Sigmar stuff. It's not directly relevant to Silver Tower since that's more like a pocket dimension where the normal rules don't apply. Champions of all kinds go in, most never come out.

If you care, here's a synposis:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar#Setting

I didn't care enough to read beyond the first paragraph which does at least answer your question about getting around. All the worlds/planes in the Age of Sigmar are connected by gates.

Mr. White wrote: About Silver Tower itself...I understand there may be an undead themed base game this winter. Any more on that?

Nope. Nothing but rumours. I like the game a lot but I'm not sold on the idea of re-themed expansions. They'd pretty much need to be as comprehensive as the base game itself - only the heroes would be re-usable - which would make them overly expensive for the amount of extra play value.

Mr. White wrote: Also, about the minis. I guess I thought I read that the AoS line is 30-32mm...If I bought, say, the dark elf sorceress is she still the old 28mm or are AoS close in line with the older line? I guess it ultimately doesn't matter, but I can see myself only getting into heroes that are the same scale to each other.

I'm not sure I understand this question. But the Silver Tower figures scale with the existing Age of Sigmar line. I haven't done a direct comparison with older figures but to my eye they certainly look bigger than the 6th edition Warhammer ones I own.

More
26 Sep 2016 10:56 #234969 by Michael Barnes
I don't get all the grief about Age of Sigmar...I think it's pretty cool overall. That is, after giving it a chance and realizing that most of the hate and spite toward is generated by the 'everything sucks' culture of the Internet in concert with old-time gamers getting pissy because things today are not the same as they were when they were 15 years old. That link Matt provided is TERRIBLE way to learn anything about the setting because the whole thing is predicated on a a jokey "Age of Sigmar sucks, har har har" attitude that shuts down the reader's chance to make a decision for themselves about it. It's an opinion piece, not a reference.

I'm not sure what scale the AoS figures are..."heroic" 32 maybe?

I've heard the "undead' rumor too, which if it is true, I hope has something to do with some kind of Tomb Kings relaunch. Which would make sense (see: Deathwatch Overkill ->Genestealer Cults coming out next week). So like a thing with MUMMIES and so forth in a semi-Egyptian setting. I would happily buy another $125 box with six more heroes and as many monsters, tiles, cards, etc.

The other rumor is that each additional release would be themed around a chaos god, which is likely because of this one being Tzeentch. But with Gorechosen just out, I don't think they'd do a Khorne thing so soon. Nurgle? I dunno. Nobody knows anything right now, really.

More
26 Sep 2016 11:24 #234973 by hotseatgames
I'm eager to read a review of Gorechosen before I take the plunge on that one.

More
26 Sep 2016 12:00 - 26 Sep 2016 12:06 #234977 by Mr. White
I don't have a problem with the AoS at all. I'm sure it's very cool in a Hawkwind album sort of way...I just don't understand it yet.

The Old World was very easy to grok. There are countries with towns, merchants, farmers, etc. Commerce exists, armies are equipped and march to war.

What goes down in these AoS realms? Are there towns? Commerce? Are there even physical beings or are these all souls floating around these realms that coalesce (with armor and weapons I guess) to battle other souls in other realms in times of war?

Regarding scale, I would love to cut the head off the barbarian dude and put on a helmeted one. Maybe something from this set (which is cheap at only $33).

If not that AoS set, it would be an older marauder and there I'm not sure if the heads would be to scale...

Ultimately, I'd want to make a Silver Tower version of...
Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 12:06 by Mr. White.

More
26 Sep 2016 12:11 #234979 by Colorcrayons
War duke... Now that brings back memories.

I miss the d&d cartoon.

More
26 Sep 2016 13:01 #234987 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
I think this is the best Age of Sigmar fluff summary I've found so far, done in a Q&A format
www.tronhammer.com/2016/03/age-of-sigmar...g-fluff-edition.html

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds