October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

More Silver Tower Stuff

More
26 Sep 2016 13:08 #234988 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
Here are some scale shots I found

https://www.google.com/search?q=age+of+sigmar+scale&espv=2&biw=1674&bih=1268&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8qazOwa3PAhWIdSYKHcmIBZEQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=-mL9YPEsr6tYhM%3A

Regarding why are these dudes fighting together in Silver Tower, I haven't played yet, but think of it maybe as a fantasy version of the movie Cubed. These heroes (and villains) awake in this mystical tower, each fighting for their own goals and rewards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2016 13:13 - 26 Sep 2016 13:48 #234990 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
Besides that large left arm, that slaughterpriest could make a good new look Warduke.

check out this Stormcast conversion. I dig the owl totem/familiar. Nice touch.

I wish the Stormcast gent who came with Silver Tower had a warhammer and not a sword. Again, maybe it's worth getting that $33 set and subbing the model out...
Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 13:48 by Mr. White.

More
26 Sep 2016 14:43 #234997 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
I read the book that came with Silver Tower (some Labyrinth something and something) -- it wasn't too bad.

Generally, it seems like all the heroes in the Silver Tower are champions from their own lands (assume they all exist in the same world, but that is not clear; although some of them definitely do) and have shown up to either ask the Guardian for a wish or defeat the Guardian. The tower is constructed in such a way that they have been there different lengths of times and they meet while fighting the tower and its denizens. They also have less need for food/sleep in the tower, so it is an ongoing slog in search of the Guardian before the Guardian finds them.

Basically, they join forces out of necessity, even though it is clear that some would be natural enemies outside of the tower, to escape the maze that is the Silver Tower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Mr. White, Frohike

More
26 Sep 2016 17:34 #235015 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
As a follow-up, I have really enjoyed the GW board games -- as of now, I have only played with stand-ins because I was too afraid of screwing up the minis. I have found that I really enjoyed assembling and painting the slaughter priest mini -- I am working on the genestealers from Lost Patrol now, thinking of going with a Hive Fleet Kraken paint scheme (which is a bit different than the box, but I like the defined carapace a bit more than everything being just white).

In any event, I am getting more curious about actually building an army proper and trying out the minis game. However, I find the structure of the Codices confusing. What exactly do I need? Where should I start? That kind of thing. Any advice or insight would be welcome.

I did order some Daemonettes, Plaguebearers, Daemons, and Pink Horrors to round out the Assassinorum optional rules in the last White Dwarf. Likewise, I purchased a Demon Prince for the supplemental rules in WD from last December -- although, I am looking for a pdf version and can't find it. Does GW put any supplemental rules up (or just have the rules for purchase separately)? So I should have a lot of Chaos stuff just due to filling out the boardgames.

More
26 Sep 2016 17:42 - 26 Sep 2016 17:44 #235016 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic More Silver Tower Stuff

Space Ghost wrote: As a follow-up, I have really enjoyed the GW board games -- as of now, I have only played with stand-ins because I was too afraid of screwing up the minis. I have found that I really enjoyed assembling and painting the slaughter priest mini -- I am working on the genestealers from Lost Patrol now, thinking of going with a Hive Fleet Kraken paint scheme (which is a bit different than the box, but I like the defined carapace a bit more than everything being just white).

In any event, I am getting more curious about actually building an army proper and trying out the minis game. However, I find the structure of the Codices confusing. What exactly do I need? Where should I start? That kind of thing. Any advice or insight would be welcome.

I did order some Daemonettes, Plaguebearers, Daemons, and Pink Horrors to round out the Assassinorum optional rules in the last White Dwarf. Likewise, I purchased a Demon Prince for the supplemental rules in WD from last December -- although, I am looking for a pdf version and can't find it. Does GW put any supplemental rules up (or just have the rules for purchase separately)? So I should have a lot of Chaos stuff just due to filling out the boardgames.

Link to download Daemon Prince rules.

What army are you looking at playing for the full game? That will have an impact on what you need to buy. Any given army concept may require a combination of several different books to cover it.

Are you wanting to have a chance at winning, flexibility in unit selection, strict fluff adherence, etc.?
Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 17:44 by barrowdown.

More
26 Sep 2016 18:10 #235018 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
I think the main issue people have with AoS is not the setting itself, but for it to exist, a beloved world has to be killed.

On AoS itself, many people (including me) prefer the best version of something we're familiar with than something really unique. I really like the feeling of the Old World. AoS feels (or try to feel) to be edgy. I mean... just look at the dryads and angry dwarves. Also, when they made Sigmarites as their posterboy, the overall tone moved from pseudo-historical gritty fantasy to a battle between heaven and hell, and it's much more mystical. At least to me it feels very much so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
27 Sep 2016 13:32 - 27 Sep 2016 14:44 #235042 by Mr. White
Can anyone tell me what size and how many round bases come in the game?

I may look around for some detailed ones.

Also, I am now 100% sold on AoS and the Silver Tower setting in particular.

Ideally, I'd like to see 3-4 standalone WHQ boxes like the DDAS games. Each fully realized with their own flavor and villains, but heroes that can play across any of them. I'm not up for the FFG model of a bunch of small expansions puffing up boxes so that the contents no longer fit. If I want to play against the Gaunt Summoner...then I solely pull Silver Tower off the shelf. If I want to run against the Strigoi Ghoul King than I pull Flesh-Eater Courts off the shelf.

There isn't much chance I do a lot of role-playing with the kids, so it would be neat if these titles became the 'Keep on the Borderlands', 'Isle of Dread', and 'Castle Ravenloft' for my kids and friends.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2016 14:44 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delobius

More
27 Sep 2016 14:49 #235044 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
By my count from the assembly guide, it's:

40mm x 3
32mm x 21
25mm x 27

The 25mm bases are too small to do much detail on, IMO, since the miniature obscures most of the base. The 32mm and 40mm have plenty of room for fancy shit, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
27 Sep 2016 14:58 #235045 by Mr. White
Actually, I was thinking of simply replacing them with something like this:
www.tinyworlds.co.uk/30mm-round-lipped-p...-dungeon-resin-bases

Three 40mm? What are they? I thought the ogre thing was on a 50mm.

Long ago I bought dungeon tiled bases for my GW DQ. I really liked it.

I don't have the patience or talent to cut up a punch of plasti-card and make tiles.

Well...I don't think I do...

More
27 Sep 2016 15:27 #235047 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
Oh yeah, you're right - that's a typo in the assembly guide. The ogre dude is on a 50mm. The two 40s are the Stormcast hero and the Gaunt Summoner.

More
27 Sep 2016 15:29 #235048 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic More Silver Tower Stuff
Fancy GW "Shattered Dominion" bases? www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Painting-Mo...ryId=cat440136a-flat

I know there are lots of companies out there that do fancy bases.

More
27 Sep 2016 15:36 #235049 by Michael Barnes
Paint the base something like Yriel Yellow, then put Vallejo crackle medium on pretty thick and let it dry. Drybrush with colors like Temple Guard Blue, Kalabite Green, Sotek Green, etc.

That's what I'm going to try.

More
27 Sep 2016 15:42 #235050 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote: Fancy GW "Shattered Dominion" bases? www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Painting-Mo...ryId=cat440136a-flat

I know there are lots of companies out there that do fancy bases.

Those bases are too specific.

I'm going to go with the assumption there will be more whq games. If I get more generic dungeon tiled bases, paint most tiles grey shades, with one or two tiles having a blue or purple tint, the hope is they would match close enough to silver tower, but also not be out of place in another dungeon.

Feel it?

More
27 Sep 2016 15:45 #235051 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Paint the base something like Yriel Yellow, then put Vallejo crackle medium on pretty thick and let it dry. Drybrush with colors like Temple Guard Blue, Kalabite Green, Sotek Green, etc.

That's what I'm going to try.

Looking forward to the result.

Check out some of these.
www.tga.community/forums/topic/1108-silver-tower-bases/
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Frohike

More
27 Sep 2016 17:34 - 27 Sep 2016 17:37 #235054 by Matt Thrower
I used plasticard on mine. You can see the result (unpainted) in my Silver Tower review.

www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-warhammer-quest-silver-tower/

Here's a painted version.

Painted dark blue, then highlighted with a mixture of metallic blue and green. It needs much more contrast to work properly: a darker wash into the cracks would have helped. But it convinced me it was the way to go. In some of the review images you can probably see that for a few bases I cut strips off and turned them over to make a solid block. Going to paint those gold.

The biggest problem with plasticard is that it doesn't cut into neat rounds. I cut mine square and filed the edges off and they're really uneven. Doesn't show much when they're painted but that's not the point. Someone on SU & SD suggested using as plastic punch which is a great idea except you'd need one for every exact base size in the game, which seems unlikely.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2016 17:37 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds