October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

barrowdown's 40K Army Building on a Budget

More
03 Oct 2016 10:23 #235381 by barrowdown
Played my first game yesterday. I put together all of the Plague Bearers, the Herald, and the Nurglings from the Start Collecting box on Saturday.

The Tzeentch and Slaanesh models did not take transit well. I am going to need to pin the Tzeentch wings to the body. They hold very well if it is stable, but with how easily they were knocked off in my carrying case (pluck foam) means I do not have a lot of faith in the super glue's ability to hold them long term. Slaanesh will have much less weight on the wing join and the wings will be too thin to take a pin. I am planning on pinning the body and then gluing the wings along the pin and green stuffing it in place.

As for transport, my current idea is to glue sheet steel to the bottom of a taller container and then put magnets in the bottom of the bases. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to transport them?

Nurgle and Khorne transported in perfect condition.

My goals for this week are to finish green stuff work on the Nurgle prince, Khorne prince, and the smaller Nurgle daemons (just filling seams). After that, I am hoping to get through some painting on non-Nurgling Nurgle daemons (I plan on a slightly different method/scheme on them). Ideally, I will get through priming and their skin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 10:19 #235627 by barrowdown
I finished green stuff on everything I was hoping to get done this week. I switched to GW's Liquid Green Stuff for the tiny seams on the Plaguebearers because it is easy to water down and flows well.

I also glued all of the Nurglings to pieces of sprue to make it easier to manipulate them when painting:

Tonight, I am planning on getting all of the profiles typed up and an outside shot at priming everything. I changed my mind on Nurgle color schemes (stealing ThirdEyeNuke's brilliant Nurgle look ), so I am going to the Nurglings in the same way as the prince and Plaguebearers.

Yesterday, I rounded up all the paints that I would need that I did not already own or had close proxies for. They were all Vallejo paints that did not have what I considered a close enough approximation in a GW paint. Vallejo apparently uses the same color name across multiple colors, so the Yellow Olive in the Model Color line is different than the Yellow Olive in the Model Air line (this ignores that Yellow Olive is actually a darker green than their Olive Green and less yellow than Olive Grey). They are close, but certainly not an identical match.

For the Khorne prince, I already have everything I need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
06 Oct 2016 11:28 #235635 by fastbilly1

barrowdown wrote: As for transport, my current idea is to glue sheet steel to the bottom of a taller container and then put magnets in the bottom of the bases. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to transport them?

I did that back when I played Fantasy. 4 button magnets glued to the base of my Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur lasted the several years I owned it. Just make sure you either have a big magnet, or more than one, so they figures do not spin in transport. Nothing is worse than showing up to play, opening the box, and the wings of the Wyvern are busted off - or in my case, a local tournament.

Recently I have reversed this idea. I mount all my minis on 1/4 inch thick 1 1/4 inch fender washers. It gives me cheap bases that are just a hair bigger than 30mm for every human sized figure. Most units stay in their cases with strip magnets and I just glue 2-4 magnets down to hold the big guys in place. And you can move them with a expandable magnet stick if need be. I learn this trick from Eric of the Shedwars fame, and it is exceptional if you are not playing a rank/file game:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
06 Oct 2016 12:13 #235645 by barrowdown

fastbilly1 wrote: Recently I have reversed this idea. I mount all my minis on 1/4 inch thick 1 1/4 inch fender washers. It gives me cheap bases that are just a hair bigger than 30mm for every human sized figure. Most units stay in their cases with strip magnets and I just glue 2-4 magnets down to hold the big guys in place. And you can move them with a expandable magnet stick if need be. I learn this trick from Eric of the Shedwars fame, and it is exceptional if you are not playing a rank/file game:]

I've seen that idea before and will probably use that if I ever do historicals. The two C'Tan figures I am converting are older metal figures and have been secured extremely well to their current bases (I think it is glued on and then soldered from the bottom to basically fuse it to the base). The way they are attached along with the other plastic knobs on the bottom makes it so I couldn't fit a washer underneath the base. I only have small gaps to work with.

I will keep the multiple magnets in mind, as their weight will make them more likely to shift in transit.

Are those your figures/boards?

More
06 Oct 2016 12:57 - 06 Oct 2016 13:01 #235656 by fastbilly1
Glued AND Soldered! Thats hardcore.

As for the picutres, no sir, those are from Shed Wars and his skills are vastly superior to my own. I have not played Warhammer in a very long time (6th edition did away with my rank and file Poison Wind Globadiers and my Chaos Dwarves), and have not yet picked up a copy of Kings of War or Age of Sigmar. Most of my fantasy wargaming is Mordheim and most of my historical gaming is currently done via Bolt Action with proxies. I have a copy of Tomahawks and Muskets in the mail though, thanks to Shed Wars getting me interested in it. Easily the bulk of the wargaming at my house is in Arena of the Planeswalkers or Heroscape, so everything new is built to fit in 1.75inch hexes:

Which is like building a puzzle backwards.

Edit - Buggered up the encoding. No idea why its not working, its pretty straight forward.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 13:01 by fastbilly1. Reason: Buggered up the encoding

More
06 Oct 2016 13:20 #235662 by barrowdown

fastbilly1 wrote: Glued AND Soldered! Thats hardcore.

I did not assemble it, but the attachment to the base resisted all of my attempts to separate the two parts. They were terribly primed, but the previous owner apparently knew how to put things together so they would not come apart.

As for the picutres, no sir, those are from Shed Wars and his skills are vastly superior to my own. I have not played Warhammer in a very long time (6th edition did away with my rank and file Poison Wind Globadiers and my Chaos Dwarves), and have not yet picked up a copy of Kings of War or Age of Sigmar. Most of my fantasy wargaming is Mordheim and most of my historical gaming is currently done via Bolt Action with proxies. I have a copy of Tomahawks and Muskets in the mail though, thanks to Shed Wars getting me interested in it. Easily the bulk of the wargaming at my house is in Arena of the Planeswalkers or Heroscape, so everything new is built to fit in 1.75inch hexes:

Which is like building a puzzle backwards.

That looks good. I like the painted/flocked tiles better than the original look.

How is Bolt Action? One of the local hobby stores is trying it out as an item and has a really sweet deal ($85ish!) on the Band of Brothers starter set (the most current one). I'm curious to try it out, but not sure if it would ever get played. I also hear Warlord's minis are kind of a pain to assemble.

Edit - Buggered up the encoding. No idea why its not working, its pretty straight forward.

I think some of the non-alphanumeric characters throw it off.

More
06 Oct 2016 14:42 #235679 by fastbilly1
I am slowly flocking all of my Heroscape tiles for that reason, and to get around the stupid cost of the lava ones. Last night I got a set of trees in from China, that was one of the test images to see how they will look with the different sizes - 12 trees from T to O gauge (10mm to 160mm) for $4 shipped you gotta take a chance. I always keep a couple of broken pieces of Heroscape on the table so I can see how figures or terrain parts will look. In the background you can see a giant fish statue I made out of a childs toy and some tentacles that were a cellphone holder. I occasionally run games at conventions or an FLGS and I feel that it is the little things that make the games more memorable.

Alot of people say Bolt Action is just "Warhammer in WW2," I view it more as a step between Necromunda and ASL. It scales from a company to an army, but focuses far more on infantry than vehicles. I have played a couple 1000 points battles, and rarely are there more than two tanks per side. I love this since it makes vehicles both incredibly useful and deadly very much like the final battle in Saving Private Ryan. The mechanics are not I Go You Go or Initiative based, but every unit (most are five to ten figures) have a die in a cup, that are drawn at random. So you may get to move three units in a row, but then your opponent gets the same chance. It really changes the flow of battle and makes you think on your feet. When you activate a unit you have six actions with special names but do these actions:
Move and fire with penalty, Stand and fire, Move double and not fire, Overwatch, Go prone and get cover bonuses, Rally - aka remove pinned counters

Combat is very Warhammer like: roll to hit, roll to wound, with one neat caveat. If you are shooting at a unit and they have not taken an action that turn, your opponent can have them go prone and that counts as their activation. So they get defense bonuses at the expense of moving or firing, it is thematic and works well. There are special rules for running into hand to hand combat, morale, and the like, but I dont want to get way to off on a tangent here. There are plenty of well written reviews of the game out there.

I have a couple issue with it, like how must guns are the same ruleswise: Lee Enfields, M1s, and Gewehr 43s, all shoot the same distance for the same damage, but on the whole it works well, plays fast, and does not have a ton of downtime. Its not super historically accurate but it doesnt try to be. I can see the rules easily being adapted into a Necromunda/Mordheim like game in the future. As for their figures, I have never seen one in person, I have proxied everything thus far, 15mm to boot. But if my local group keeps playing it, I see me buying an army or two around Christmas.

Back to your 40k army. So I last played 40k in 2000, IG with multiple blocks of infantry and a basilisk or two in the back, as a Skaven player it only made sense. But this Daemon army would wreck that army in nothing flat with hit and run tactics. What is your local meta game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13, barrowdown

More
06 Oct 2016 15:06 - 06 Oct 2016 15:09 #235683 by barrowdown

fastbilly1 wrote: Back to your 40k army. So I last played 40k in 2000, IG with multiple blocks of infantry and a basilisk or two in the back, as a Skaven player it only made sense. But this Daemon army would wreck that army in nothing flat with hit and run tactics. What is your local meta game?

The other armies from my division (four players per division) were: bike-heavy Dark Eldar, Eldar Corsairs, and (I think) Mechanicus Skitarii. The other players all commented that they liked that I was playing Chaos because no local player really runs any Chaos army. I think the meta tends a little towards the competitive end of the spectrum, but I'll have to see.

Edit: I'll add that you can switch your army up every game of the league, so those are not necessarily the armies that I will see this week. The player I am going against on Sunday said he'd be running the Corsairs, but the other two players might run something different.

Thanks for the rundown of Bolt Action.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 15:09 by barrowdown.

More
07 Oct 2016 11:20 #235754 by Almalik
One more Bolt Action comment: Beyond the Gates of Antares (by Rick Priestley and others) uses the Bolt Action system (or a modified version) in a sci-fi setting. I've never played the original WW2 version, so I can't tell you what's been changed.

Back on topic: awesome conversions and discussion barrowdown! It's like a A Tale of One Gamer!

More
07 Oct 2016 11:44 #235757 by metalface13
You know, I think a squad-based WWII tabletop game with campaign mechanics like Necromunda/Mordheim would be cool.

More
07 Oct 2016 12:45 #235763 by hotseatgames
Bolt Action has a new Weird War II spin-off called Konflict 47. Looks neat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
11 Oct 2016 10:29 - 11 Oct 2016 10:30 #235918 by barrowdown
So I had a great weekend planned: going to the pumpkin patch, get some painting in, play a game of 40k and see a Ghost concert. And I got to halfheartedly do the first two. I spent all day Sunday and most of yesterday curled up in bed. I will assume that I would have swept the board after turn 1 due to my excellent unit reference sheets that I made.

Nurgle daemons and Khorne prince primed (wow, so black!):

Pink base for Khorne (Screamer Pink):

I have not seriously painted any Bones minis yet, only with cheap craft paints when my mini-human wants to paint figures. The wings took a couple more coats of paint to be covered than the green stuff or HIPS. Not too bad of an issue, but if I had not been airbrushing the base coat it might have been more of a headache.

Green base for Nurgle (Loren Forest):

End point base coat for Nurgle (zenithal coats of Zamesi Desert and Nurgling Green):

Here you can see the effect from the bottom:

And from the top:

I have since varnished them with Vallejo Gloss Varnish to protect for the next step.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2016 10:30 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13, Gary Sax, Mr. White, JEM

More
11 Oct 2016 10:46 #235923 by Michael Barnes
How was Ghost?

More
11 Oct 2016 10:51 #235925 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: How was Ghost?

I chose to miss it. I didn't really want to sit in the corner and attempt to keep my self awake and end up hating the performance. I was basically a zombie all day. In bed until almost 4 and then awake for a couple of hours before I was ready to pass out again. I am sure I will get to hear how awesome the concert was from some coworkers.

I'm going to Slayer/Anthrax/Death Angel on Thursday, so I can at least get some metal in this week.

More
12 Oct 2016 10:29 #235970 by barrowdown
I painted up Khorne's skin last night.

Base coat (Screamer Pink/Pink Horror mix) over the skin:

Blended up to Pink Horror:

Washed in the recesses (Carroburg Crimson):

Then finally blended up to the outer highlight (Pink Horror/white mix) and then a glaze made from the same color to soften the shading (I didn't take a picture of the intermediate step):

From the photo, I can see that I need to probably glaze the lower left leg again as it's a little sharp in spots. The messy spots on the arms are yet to be painted as its some kind of bracelet around the upper arm so that ugliness is intentional at this point. If I redid the whole process, I probably would have thinned the wash as it stained much darker than I anticipated making the glaze a must.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Mr. White, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds