October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

barrowdown's 40K Army Building on a Budget

More
17 Oct 2016 10:27 #236304 by barrowdown
I got some more painting in on the Khorne model. I am unsure how I feel about the pink scheme. Maybe once I have some brass in, it will all fall into place.

Sorry about the super glossy/wet look on some parts. I played a game in between this and the previous step so I gave it a quick gloss varnish to protect it.

First off, began the etching on the armor (shoulder pads and bracers) with blue to contrast with the rest of the red/pink.

This is after the first coat with Teclis Blue. (I then went back with Temple Guard Blue to make it brighter. I may go back with a TGB/White blend to edge the engraving).

Next, I recess shaded all the parts that would be red with a real watery mix of brown/Screamer Pink. It's most obvious on the wings at this point because I could be sloppy with the edge shading.

First coat of Screamer Pink/Wazdakka Red blend:

Two coats of Wazdakka Red:

The armor did not really need a second coat, but the wings looked terribly streaky before so I went with a second coat on them. They still do not look great, but they are at least more red and kind of look like they might be some kind of textile.

And then it all goes terrible, I edge highlighted the red armor with Squig Orange (a dark orange/red), which is the normal outer highlight for Wazdakka Red. I had to pick this paint up because I did not already have it. The paint was in very poor condition and about half had solidified to an unusable state. The rest needed a lot of solvent to thin and I still think I had it too thick for my highlight. Plus, with the pink base coat for everything it made it appear too bright for my liking and it blends with the skin color.

Ugh. I think I am going to make a glaze with Wazdakka Red and glaze the highlights to dull them back to the base armor color.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 10:31 - 17 Oct 2016 10:31 #236307 by the_jake_1973
Nice paint job. I think I will forever tie colors like that to Slannesh rather than Khorne.

I think Khorne has the most restrictive paint scheme, fluff-wise. It's interesting to see a different take on it.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 10:31 by the_jake_1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
17 Oct 2016 10:34 #236309 by Mr. White
Yeah, I actually like this a lot.

The armor is still red, so the allegiance to Khorne is there. The skin being pink is the big difference from usual Khorne fare.

Can't wait to see the final product!

More
17 Oct 2016 11:21 #236318 by Gary Sax
I like it a lot...

More
01 Nov 2016 10:30 - 01 Nov 2016 10:31 #237287 by barrowdown
It has been slow going as I had some family visiting during my last update on painting. My only progress has been on Khorne, which is almost done.

I first started on the metallics, by basecoating everything with GW Warplock Bronze. I did this for both steel and brass features:

Next the brass was highlighted with GW Brass Scorpion:

I combined the next three steps in one picture because with my crappy lighting and poor photography skills, it was a little hard to tell the difference. First I loosely washed the brass rivets, and joins with GW Nihilakh Oxide. It turned out a little too weathered and thick for the effect I was going for so I wiped a lot of it off to make it look a little cleaner. I then re-highlighted the brass with GW Runelord Brass. The silver was then painted with GW Ironbreaker:

The ribs in the wings look a lot messier than they do in real life. The camera appears to be separating the shades of brass/bronze and it looks a little splotchy. The color difference is certainly there, but not nearly as jarring as the picture seems to indicate.

The next step was to black out everything that would be bone-like or black (GW Abaddon Black):

After that, I shaded the black up through a series of grey (GW Eshin Grey, GW Dawnstone, GW Administratum Grey). The axe handle was only up through Eshin Grey as I wanted it to appear very dark (cannot really tell from the photo). All the black and the steal was then washed with GW Nuln Oil.

My next steps are:
  • Finish brass on axe
  • Highlight axe blade
  • Blood splatter on axe
  • Highlight teeth to white (maybe)
  • Clean up armor plating (maybe)
  • Finish base

The only step that will really take any time is the basing. The other steps will not take long at all. For basing, I am going to try using GW Martian Ironearth. Does anyone have any experience getting a great crackle effect with it? I normally use art crackle paint for small cracks (like in ice), but I like the bigger cracks the examples on their website show for this paint.

After this I can go back to the Nurgle figures.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 10:31 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, JEM

More
01 Nov 2016 12:07 #237290 by Michael Barnes
You should look into the new range of texture paints that came out like three weeks ago. They are "thick" versions of the existing texture paints. So they have like "extreme" versions of Martian Ironearth, Agrellan Earth, Astrogranite, etc. I have the Astrogranite Debris, it is SUPER chunky and definitely more pronounced than the old one.

I've also heard that you can paint PVA on the base BEFORE you do the crackle paint and it will exaggerate it. But I've not tried that.

More
01 Nov 2016 13:09 #237294 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: You should look into the new range of texture paints that came out like three weeks ago. They are "thick" versions of the existing texture paints. So they have like "extreme" versions of Martian Ironearth, Agrellan Earth, Astrogranite, etc. I have the Astrogranite Debris, it is SUPER chunky and definitely more pronounced than the old one.

I have a pot of the normal Astrogranite that I was planning on using for the cooled lava portions. I did not realize that the same named paints were the same as the crackle paints that were previously in the Technical line. Looking at the pics on the GW site, I think I do want the more frequent cracks of the Ironearth, but Ironcrust does look nifty.

I've also heard that you can paint PVA on the base BEFORE you do the crackle paint and it will exaggerate it. But I've not tried that.

Am I supposed to let the PVA dry all the way? Or paint the Ironearth on when it is wet? I might try this.

More
07 Nov 2016 10:55 #237601 by barrowdown
I finished up the Khorne Daemon Prince over the weekend (except for finishing up the varnish).

The basing turned out okay.

My first step was to apply GW Astrogranite around 80% of the base, the remaining flat area I painted with GW Mephiston Red. The red area was highlighted up with GW Trollslayer Orange, GW Yriel Yellow, and GW White Scar.

I then painted GW Martian Ironearth over the red area and used a mix of GW Abaddon Black and GW Nuln Oil to paint over the top everything. I obviously did not dry out the Ironearth long enough before applying the black and the two mixed in some areas and did not crack as much as I wanted. The texture paint was then drybrushed with GW Etherium Blue before painting the edge with GW Steel Legion Drab.

And the finished mini:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
14 Nov 2016 11:15 - 14 Nov 2016 11:22 #238319 by barrowdown
Not a lot of obvious progress this week in painting, but I do like what I have done for the Nurgle daemons.

The first step this week was covering them all with an oil wash. I used W&N Winton Burnt Umber thinned down with turpentine substitute. I let this sit for a few minutes before removing the outer layer of wash with a sponge damp with more turpentine substitute. It's advantage over an acrylic wash is it takes longer to set so you can manipulate it or remove areas. It also seems to fill tiny crevices more easily and resists gravity a little more.

I then touched it up with a light spray of GW Nurgling Green from above to soften the colors again.

I really like the outcome. The last photo has pretty direct lighting from the front so most of the shading is paint and not actual shadow.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 11:22 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
14 Nov 2016 20:43 #238403 by metalface13
Nurgle demons are looking good. Suitably grotesque, I think they'll be great.

The Khorne demon is also pretty awesome and the base looks great, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the pink skin, not that's too Slaanesh, but it's hard to read visually. Maybe it's just the pictures though.

More
14 Nov 2016 21:11 #238404 by barrowdown
I think it looks a bit clearer in person, but it's not my favorite color scheme( I'm also not great at photography). I just wanted to try something a little different for Khorne as it kind of has little variety in the general portrayal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
01 Dec 2016 11:59 #239560 by barrowdown
I have finished up the actual painting of all of the models except basing and the Prince's wings. I took fewer pictures here as I had a good groove going. After the step above, I drybrushed all of the skin with GW Nurgling Green, followed by a GW Nurgling Green + GW White Scar drybrush:

After this, it was back into the garage for airbrushing. I airbrushed the wounds and mouths of the models with VMC Tan Earth followed by a highlight of VMC Basic Skintone. Horns and metal objects (the bells on the Herald and the Prince's sword and left arm) were airbrushed GW Abaddon Black.

I painted all of the metal parts by drybrushing with GW Leadbelcher, VMC Oily Steel, and VMA Chrome. VMA Chrome may be my new favorite metallic highlighting paint. It's extremely shiny, but adds almost no color to the base paint when drybrushed so you get the metallic shine without messing with the colors you already have in place.

I do not have a picture of the next step, but I went back to the airbrush and airbrushed all of the shaded regions (under the arms and bellies) with VMC Yellow Olive then recessed highlighted with VMC Yellow Olive + GW Abaddon Black.

Next was a long series of washes, starting with GW Reikland Fleshshade on all of the wounds and mouths:

All of the next steps were done without individual photos. This was then followed with watered down washes on the skin with GW Druichii Violet and GW Drakenhof Nightshade to look like bruising. The teeth were picked out with GW Ushabti Bone. The mouths and lower portions of the wounds were washed with a mix of VMC Smoke + GW Evil Sunz Scarlet + a lot of water. I used GW Abaddon Black to clean up the horns and paint the eyes, which took forever because the Nurglings have so many little heads everywhere. I then washed the wounds and made drips with a mix of Tamiya Clear Red and W&N Black Indian Ink to make it look fresh and gory.

For the metal, I mixed GW Rhinox Hide and GW Abaddon Black together and sponged it on. I then washed the metal and all of the Plaguebearer swords with GW Agrax Earthshade.

I really like how these turned out. The only issue I ran into is Vallejo Model Color paints hate my solvents, so it was a lot of trial and error figuring out the mix that would work for airbrushing. Now I just need to finish the bases and drybrushing the Prince's wings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Hadik

More
06 Dec 2016 11:39 #239940 by barrowdown
I finished up the basing this weekend the Nurgle daemons. I did not take a picture of them after I painted the base edge with GW Steel Legion Drab.

First the texture was painted on most of the base with GW Stirland Battlemire, then drybrushed with GW Underhive Ash, folled by a heavy wash of GW Athonian Camoshade. The untextured areas were painted with a sloppy coat of GW Yriel Yellow before several coats of GW Nurgle's Rot. It's hard to tell in the photos, but the sloppy coat of yellow makes the bile actually look more like a liquid as it has a lot of color variation from the uneven basecoat.

Basing:

More
20 Dec 2016 09:09 - 20 Dec 2016 09:09 #241023 by fastbilly1
barrowdown, your work is always amazing.

metalface13 wrote: You know, I think a squad-based WWII tabletop game with campaign mechanics like Necromunda/Mordheim would be cool.

www.wwpd.net/2016/08/bolt-action-victory-road-campaign-and.html
So Warlord is adding a campaign system to Bolt Action.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 09:09 by fastbilly1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, barrowdown

More
20 Dec 2016 10:23 #241036 by barrowdown

fastbilly1 wrote: barrowdown, your work is always amazing.

metalface13 wrote: You know, I think a squad-based WWII tabletop game with campaign mechanics like Necromunda/Mordheim would be cool.

www.wwpd.net/2016/08/bolt-action-victory-road-campaign-and.html
So Warlord is adding a campaign system to Bolt Action.

That sounds intriguing! I think there are some locals who play, so it might be feasible to actually get it played.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds