October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Blood Bowl - Official Website Up

More
07 Nov 2016 08:20 - 07 Nov 2016 08:21 #237575 by drewcula
Fellow DreadBall Fanatic Geoff and I played at Origins this summer. I was not impressed.

Caveat: I like "board games," not "miniature games." I define the two between a board with a grid, and a map with nothing.
Guild Ball requires a ruler. I hate rulers. I despise them. I retired my X-Wing wings because of the templates.
NOTE: Blood Bowl gets a "pass" from me because the templates are only for throwing/scattering the ball, and those template actions can be accounted for with alternatives. It also plays on a gridded pitch.

Other DB Fanatics has stressed to me that GB takes a handful of games to see it's beauty. Perhaps, but I won't pursue it after my first two outings. Using the tape measure was obnoxious. The other obnoxious part? The cost.

On the positive: the game's minis are handsome. Theme aside, there's no denying they are quality. Thematically, each team is distinct with an interesting political leaning. These differences lend to various plot cards and adds some narrative to the game.

I was less impressed with the card graphics. They're too muddled with information, and you're flipping them back and forth for stat lines. Further, you'll need to have a supply of dry erase markers because you're always checking off damage onto the cards. I'm told the layout is improved in the 'third' edition.

I also understand the 3rd edition will introduce a plastic starter box that is actually affordable. Not that it seems to matter. Cost seems to be little factor with the middle aged playing. Guild Ball has leap frogged DreadBall in tournament popularity. Digression: I rarely see kids playing a sports board game.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2016 08:21 by drewcula.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2016 08:24 #237579 by Mr. White

drewcula wrote: Guild Ball has leap frogged DreadBall in tournament popularity.

How is this qualified? Based on Origins turn-out?

More
07 Nov 2016 08:28 - 07 Nov 2016 08:33 #237581 by edulis
I've played a few games of Guildball. It is a straight miniatures game- as in terrain set up different and measuring tapes rather than a girded board. It reminded me a lot of Warmachine/Hordes in the placing of influence/focus tokens to buff characters abilities, cards for each character with check boxes and even the base sizes.

In all the games I have played so far, my opponents have focused on combat and essentially ignored the ball. Which is too bad because there are some clever soccer ideas built in- you can do give and go passes you can swing the ball cross field and are awarded for making multiple passes in a turn. In other words spreading the field to make passes and trying to get open is valuable. There is a lot of tactical decisions - the turns work where I activate a guy then you do - once everyone is activated the next round starts. All the characters have special abilities and many have some synergy. So decided who to use when is important.

It is a pretty neat game, it feels a bit more open (and confusing) than Blood bowl and is not a short game.... you play to a set number of points rather than a number of turns.

Just wanted to add the Guildball is FREE. The games site has all the rules and cards and even cardboard players to print on their website. My team (Masons) consists of the starter box set for masons, an ape pencil topper, Stryker from Warmachine, and two deadlands railroad worker miniatures- all mounted on old warmachine stands. The miniatures sold for the game are nice quality, but they are spendy - however the rules/ tournament rules whatever do not require you to use them.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2016 08:33 by edulis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
07 Nov 2016 08:55 #237585 by drewcula
Edulis is far more articulate on the game than I. And he does point out a great perk: all of Guild is free if you go the paper route. DreadBall does some of this, but not nearly as comprehensively as Guild Ball. Check it out Jeff. You may dig it. I did not.

Tournament attendance was bananas at Gencon. DreadBall was less than a dozen. GuildBall and Blood Bowl were over two dozen each.

More
07 Nov 2016 08:56 #237586 by drewcula
DreadBall tournament attendance has been dropping at Adepticon, Origins, and Gencon for the past two years.

More
07 Nov 2016 08:58 #237587 by Mr. White

drewcula wrote: DreadBall tournament attendance has been dropping at Adepticon, Origins, and Gencon for the past two years.

Because of Guildball and the resurging BloodBowl? Any other theories?

More
07 Nov 2016 09:32 #237590 by drewcula
I don't know if there's correlation or not. I would think so, as the sports board game genre is a niche of a niche. I have no evidence, other than attendance observation at the big three in NA.

More
07 Nov 2016 16:00 - 07 Nov 2016 16:05 #237642 by Mr. White
Today's word from the Comixininos FB page:

COMIXININOS - GW HOT NEWS!!! Pre-Order 20% Discount + FF Wooden Coin!!!

Ok, it’s confirmed. We just talked with our Games Workshop salesman and gave us the following information:

25/11/16 Official Release of the following 4 items:

Blood Bowl Boxed Set: retail price 85 EUR

Death Zone Season 1 gaming supplement: retail price 20 EUR

Skaven Team (12 Players): retail price 25 EUR

Skaven Dice (Set of 10 Dice): retail price 9 EUR

12/11/16 Pre-Orders of the 4 items stated above

As you know, CXN will also offer Pre-Orders for all these items. These pre-orders will also start on 12/11/16, the same date than GW will start them. We will offer a 20% DISCOUNT over all the retail prices. Besides that, we will also offer a Limited Edition Wooden Fan Factor Coin for all you, fan-boys that make your pre-orders through us CXN!!! With this coin, there will be no doubt about who is in possession of the +1 FF or the +2 FF every time you play!!! We will show you soon pictures of this Wooden FF Coin.

Ups, I almost forgot... You will also get the usual gifts that we offfer to all the regular orders made in your store, depending on the total value of your order. You can find out here the gifts that you will receive:

www.comixininos.com/index.php/free-gifts/

Please take into account that the Boxed Set is a heavy item. However, with our Shipping Costs Policy, you will be able to get Free Shipping Costs worldwide, if you accomplish the requirements stated here:

www.comixininos.com/shipping-policy

If you are interested in making a pre-order through us, let us know your name and which items you wish and we will send you all the information and details about how to do it. You can start sending your messages right now to this email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

We guess that we will receive a very large amount of messages in the following hours and days. So please give us some time to reply your message. Don’t worry, we will reply. ;)

May Nuffle bless your dice,

COMIXININOS – Your Fantasy Football Online Store

The box set is a little more than I would have thought, but the sold separately teams are not. 25 Euros...that's like $28. Not bad at all.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2016 16:05 by Mr. White.

More
10 Nov 2016 15:11 #237939 by Mr. White

More
10 Nov 2016 19:46 #237967 by Sevej
Yea thinking of getting into this sports miniatures game nonsense, then I heard the cost is $100 (no, no discounts around here). Not unfair, but currently out of my budget.

More
11 Nov 2016 09:06 #238022 by Mr. White
Skulls and Ones podcast has an interview with the team behind the new release.
baconwrappedskullsandones.libsyn.com/sku...lood-bowl-podcast-23

Here's a summary:
theendzone.co/blog/blood-bowl-podcast-spoiler-roundup.html

I'm amazed they gave the skaven gutter runners a new skill because the model has knives. Anyone seen all those punch daggers issued out to the human team?

More
11 Nov 2016 09:09 #238023 by Michael Barnes
Dan's preorder is up on their website. $77 base game, $129.75 for everything which makes the Skaven dice free. Went all in on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
11 Nov 2016 09:45 #238029 by Da Bid Dabid
Sigh. Going all in and might as well throw Gorechosen in there too eh?

More
11 Nov 2016 09:49 #238031 by Michael Barnes
It would be foolish not to.

More
11 Nov 2016 16:31 #238103 by PavingMantis
What's the url for Dan's?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds