October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Shadespire news...

More
23 Mar 2017 00:12 - 23 Mar 2017 00:20 #245531 by Michael Barnes
www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/breaking...st-eternal-mini.html

And there they are as I predicted- the X-wing style cards and the Gorechosen style arena board with hexes. I'm telling you, I have seen the future. The minis they are showing are one piece and more to board game standard than Citadel standard...and they are blue. they are also blue on the picture on the card so I guess they are not prepainted.

Oh look, there is also this;

Also- lady Stormcast- awesome!

Oh- and I called this too (not the dice though!)

The game is played using unique dice and card decks, and these will, to an extent, be unique to each faction. Both decks of cards used in the game are fully customisable – meaning you can choose to create all manner of combinations of overlapping abilities to use and objectives to achieve. This can be a really rewarding part of the game – and means that even the same faction can be played in wildly different ways. We’re expecting to see all sorts of combinations tried out at game stores, clubs and in tournaments.

Oops- looks like I was wrong about single piece molds- they are snap fit models.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 00:20 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2017 00:29 - 23 Mar 2017 00:30 #245533 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Shadespire news...
Very interesting. This will require a much tighter grasp of balance than GW is normally capable of, if they want it to compete with X-wing.

Edit: if it is a solid enough game to compete, I'll definitely be buying in.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 00:30 by barrowdown.

More
23 Mar 2017 00:41 - 23 Mar 2017 00:42 #245534 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Shadespire news...
This is a nice combination. Tight FFG style minis game gameplay, it has to be. I don't necessarily trust them with it, but as barrow says, they HAVE to be careful with gameplay to compete in this space w/x-wing, armada, etc. Then they give you these ok but not great single piece minis. But then they add the "Real Minis" that they sell that you can replace them with!
Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 00:42 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Mar 2017 07:56 #245537 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadespire news...
Seems neat, but my sadly underplayed Dungeon Command set will allow me to resist.

More
23 Mar 2017 09:21 #245538 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Shadespire news...
Yeah, I was watching some guys do a livestream from after seeing it at Adepticon last night. The minis are snapfit, not one piece. But that's small details. This totally feels like a full-blow FFG-style game. Seems like these former allies are really going after each others' core demographics now. What I didn't see was any indication that this had a movement/combat style like Gorechosen. The similarities seem to end at being minis on a hex board.

More
23 Mar 2017 13:49 #245556 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadespire news...
I can see some Gorechosen card design elements from the video preview, but without more info, it's really hard to say exactly just how related.

I'm actually pretty excited by this. I can give GW some design leeway considering the designs that came out recently. They are actually quite a bit better than designs I see coming from FFG simply because they are far more succinct than what FFG are known for.

Sadly this doesn't look like it is Gorechosen 2.0, but it is at least a kissing cousin.

I'm liking that GW are teasing future products, but this one is giving me blue balls.

More
23 Mar 2017 13:55 #245559 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadespire news...
Is this not coming out until end of 2017? Thought I saw that somewhere.

More
23 Mar 2017 14:03 #245560 by Colorcrayons

charlest wrote: Is this not coming out until end of 2017? Thought I saw that somewhere.

That's correct. No precise release date, just "end of 2017".

More
23 Mar 2017 14:13 #245561 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Shadespire news...
Usually GW teases something and it comes out like next week. I think they are really going to push this in a wider way than is usual for the core lines.

More
23 Mar 2017 20:34 #245574 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Shadespire news...
At first I tried to ignore this game, but then I saw that the Stormcast and Bloodbound have different defensive icon. One is shield, the other is dodge-like icon. If this difference doesn't make it into core mechanics (or just indicating which die face to seek) and only in "special abilities" they're missing a lot of opportunity.

I'm not sure this have teeth to fight X-Wing head to head, particularly due to IP strength. It seems that 40k is a much better choice in this regard.

More
23 Mar 2017 21:40 #245575 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Shadespire news...
The truth is that no, this will not compete with X-Wing or attract that kind of player base. It looks to have the makings of a decent game with maybe 2-3 years of gas in the tank at most. It will not be around long term- many games like this with bigger licenses have come and gone, including Star Wars ones.

I'm totally interested and I'll take everything they are selling, regardless.

If you notice, Age of Sigmar is sort of GW's experimental area. They have less to lose with that brand, and more room to mess around with things like reducing hundreds of pages of rules to 4 and some unit cards. A lot of AoS stuff is now confirmed as of this week to be going into 8th edition.

So if Shadespire is even modestly successful as a kind of beta product...I bet we'll see a 40k version of it down the line.

More
23 Mar 2017 22:32 #245578 by Colorcrayons
Well, the game has an uphill battle from many ends. Their own core demographic is resistant to anything that isn't directly and obviously promoting an army they own.
Then there is the years of Ill will that they have rightfully earned.

It could be a classic like bloodbowl.

Personally, I hope it doesn't attract the same sorts that play XWing. The WAAC fun vampire mindset can eat week old potatoe salad out of Black Barney's chocolate starfish.

More
24 Mar 2017 09:52 - 24 Mar 2017 09:53 #245585 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Shadespire news...
Notice the complete title is Age of Sigmar Underworlds: Shadespire - plural. I wonder if it hints at anything more.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2017 09:53 by Columbob.

More
24 Mar 2017 19:50 #245596 by Colorcrayons
For those of you who detest the Bols site like I do, here is a video demo at adepticon.

More
25 Mar 2017 06:36 #245599 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Shadespire news...
This looks pretty cool. I don't really get how it's being sold. Is the idea that I would buy specific unit boxes and mix/match/make up my own team on point buy? Or are they putting out complete unit boxes that I pick units from without mix & matching?

I hope the design isn't super clean with a lot of depth. I don't have the motivation to build armies/decks/whatever when there's a bunch of interplay and intricacies. I'd rather slap together some stuff that seems fun and get to playing. That's how I've enjoyed Warhammer Diskwars the most.

Also, what is "Warhammer Underworlds"?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds