October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Found on my front porch today...

More
More
06 Jun 2017 13:55 #249504 by southernman
Tough neighbourhood, fly-tippers only dump rubbish in street or back alleys here rather than on your property.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2017 14:04 #249506 by charlest
Ha, nice.

I played three games of it Sunday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've only played with the Death Guard and Primaris Space Marines included in the Dark Imperium box. I dig the fast play nature of the ruleset, although they've included armies that are very hardy and kind of work against those new changes.

Best element of the new edition for me is the different modes of play, with my favorite being narrative.

Despite appreciating this release quite a bit, I don't think it comes close to replacing Shadow War for me.

More
06 Jun 2017 14:09 #249507 by Michael Barnes
The product itself is mind blowing...the books and all are the best GW has ever put out. It's just a beautiful set. Then miniatures are incredible- the Nurgle stuff in particular. I never really considered a Nurgle army...until now.

Really torn on what to do with the SMs...thinking about going Space Wolves or Dark Angels...but everything I already have is UM.

Primaris Marines are totally bad ass.

More
06 Jun 2017 14:15 #249508 by bendgar
"I'm sorry. I already have a religion."
*closes door*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Legomancer, Black Barney, san il defanso, sornars, Erik Twice

More
06 Jun 2017 14:15 #249509 by charlest
Yeah, those Bolt Rifles look really great. Love the Interceptor flying dudes too.

More
06 Jun 2017 14:25 #249510 by stormseeker75
You got a tough life, Barnes. :)

More
07 Jun 2017 01:47 #249530 by Cranberries
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
07 Jun 2017 14:32 #249572 by Michael Barnes
Man, I am about to just get rid of all my old SMs. These new ones are just WAY better. I know there's been lots of grumbling about them, etc., as expected, but they just look amazing. They are QUITE larger, which makes them look far more impressive...like they should. The poses are much more characterful and the sculpting is much more interesting. The only thing is they make some of the older figures look small. But this is pretty common across all of Citadel's stuff, the l'il old Vampire Counts skeletons just don't match up with Stormcast for example.

The new styling isn't as cartoony, but it still has that influence. For example, the bolt rifles look more like realistic weapons and less like big ol' Nerf guns. Some may not like that. I think it looks great.

I think I just want to run a Primaris army, since they are treating them as a distinct faction. They have their own funky little tank and all coming out.

More
07 Jun 2017 20:05 #249595 by Sevej
The bolt rifles are my favorite part of the new sculpt. I'm still unsure whether I'm going to get them, because for sure I'm going to finish my company project with minimarines.

Nitpicking, I don't like the helmets and the uniform chestplate. I'm also miffed that the flying dudes only have like 3 guys in a squad. The overall design have also changed, with more curves (especially if you check the backpack, jump pack and the new dreadnought's sloped shoulders).

Otherwise, they are a welcome addition.

More
08 Jun 2017 00:31 #249602 by Vlad
It is very unlikely I won't get involved with 40K new edition sooner or later, but I'll pass on the starter for now. I mean, it looks great and all, but I still have a lot of stuff to paint. And to play, too. I still haven't done a SW campaign, or ran one AoS skirmish. GW's production is overwhelming for my capacity to assimilate it.
But I can't say it isn't appealing. I have 15 guardsmen and 10 scions in various stages of completion, about 10 well-painted space marines, a commissar and a Taurox vehicle. Once all that is done, I will want to play with these dudes, sure (also considering I have an obscene amount of scenery).
I'll probably get some books first, and will take my time with completing an army.

More
08 Jun 2017 15:56 - 08 Jun 2017 16:44 #249631 by Matt Thrower
So that's the box set, plus all the index books, getting on for £200? Wow, you're more heavily into this than I realised.

The nurgle marines are sweet figures. I'm not sure I like the new-look space marines though: I've always preferred the classic "long snout" look for some reason. Don't like the new plaguebearers at all.

Had a look at some of the other ranges. I've not heard of Skitarii before but man, I love those sculpts. Wonderful mixture of high tech and steampunk and body horror.

But, since I'm still painting the copy of Space Hulk I bought nearly 30 years ago, I think I'll pass.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2017 16:44 by Matt Thrower.

More
08 Jun 2017 18:16 #249636 by Michael Barnes
Heh heh... $0 USD. Membership has its privileges!

As for how "heavily" I am into this...I started thinking about how much I've dropped on GW in the past year- almost all of it funded through liquidating other games- and I just stopped. It got scary.

I love the old beaky marines...the think about the Mk X armor is that it looks like they wanted to bring in some of the styling of the very popular Horus Heresy-era marks. So it has the more "bulldog knight armor" look. To be completely honest, if you hold one of this Primaris Marines up to a typical Tac Squad SM...the old ones look like a joke. But more importantly, they LOOK right in scale- they are supposed to be even bigger than the standard marine. The only thing is that it has the knock-on effect of making other figures look smaller. Like Orks and Tau, they look really small in comparison.

There is some funny business about them though. They can't ride in a standard Rhino. Too big! But yes, there is a Primaris Rhino coming...but GW promises that the old marines are still viable! Remember that in 5 years when EVERYTHING is Primaris-sized. I don't think this is bad at all. The larger figures are better in general, and it also promotes SMALLER armies. For example, the standard Intercessor squad is only five marines instead of 10-15. I kind of wish everything would get the Primaris treatment...but you know how that would go down. HOWLING.

The Nurgle figures are NUTS. They really went bananas on them. The Foetid Blight Drone is incredible. I really like the Poxwalkers, they have that slightly goofy edge that classic GW stuff has. Really excited (and nervous) about painting all the Death Guard, but I'm holding out until the new Death Guard Green comes out.

Skitarii are cool...I have a set of Vanguards for SW:A and they were fun to paint. Very striking with those red cloaks and the metallic bodies. Definitely some body horror action going on. Some of the other stuff they have I'm not so crazy about, but most of the troops look great.

Vlad- you can run Primaris Marines with IG. I'm just sayin'.

More
08 Jun 2017 23:53 #249644 by Vlad
I'm not a big fan of space nazis marines, certainly not enough to spend all that dough on the starter set.
Besides, I really enjoy SW and painting for SW. I took out my skaven for a fight few days ago, and (although I enjoyed it a lot) couldn't stop thinking: "can't believe I painted all of THIS". It is really rewarding to paint a small unit, and even better small units of different armies. I am more interested at the moment in painting a band of cultists for SW than in the new oversized marines.

More
09 Jun 2017 07:00 #249651 by Matt Thrower
A question because I'm too lazy to look it up myself. How is this looking on the complexity scale compared to previous editions? Is there a big step back, Age of Sigmar style? Or is it more of the same with new toys?

I'm just curious to know what directions GW are pushing their brand in nowadays.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds