October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Who has unpainted Space Hulks?

More
02 Feb 2018 07:50 #262654 by Mr. White
Would you be interested in some form of F:AT initiative to collaborate and push one another to get our copies of SH painted?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Pug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2018 08:50 #262655 by Shellhead
I have partially painted my Space Hulk set. My genestealers are nearly finished, aside from their claws. My space marines only have primer and some red base coat on their larger armor sections. Shortly before I moved in 2011, a clumsy friend accidentally snapped off the winged top of Sergeant Lorenzo's helmet, so I need to deal with that before I get back to painting them. There is this chemical stuff at the local game shop that will soften the plastic so I can remold it and reattach it, but first I plan to practice on some sprue pieces. I kept the sprue because I was planing to break it up into little pieces and paint them to look like debris which I would scatter on the table between the map tiles. I'm interested in finishing them, but I don't have steady hands or much experience with painting minis. And I need to buy fresh paint, because the stuff that I bought eight years ago is probably not good anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Pug

More
02 Feb 2018 08:52 #262656 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Who has unpainted Space Hulks?
I have a copy waiting to be painted... sadly the weather has been extra cold so I haven’t been able to prime the figures with a spray. Hoping that in March I will be able to start.... but I think your initiative is awesome and would be happy to participate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
02 Feb 2018 09:25 #262659 by Josh Look
I’d rather start a collaboration to get our Space Hulks played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
02 Feb 2018 09:25 #262661 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Who has unpainted Space Hulks?
This is a ... sensitive topic. :) I got a copy of 4e Space Hulk when it came out. I didn't really care that much about the set being painted, but my wife, who is artsy and into painting but had never painted minis before, was interested in painting them. A couple of them got damaged while being removed from the sprues or by the dog, and she wasn't all that confident about her painting job (although I thought it was pretty good), so she ended up, against my advice, buying a second copy, the first copy being practice. Unfortunately, it's 2018, the first copy's incomplete, the second copy's still sealed, and I've never played the game. I've thought about seeing whether I could just replace the damaged figures for the first set, or selling off the non-mini parts for the second set, or something, but she still talks about starting up again, and I don't want to hurt her feelings over it, so there they sit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Feb 2018 09:40 - 02 Feb 2018 20:12 #262664 by Cranberries
I sold my copy for a ridiculously low price to a local buyer who low bid on Ebay. At least he'll play it. But I kept a copy that has no minis, so I need to figure out what size wooden discs to buy (who did that on here? Who is the wooden disk game guru?) and make a version where the pieces actually fit on the squares.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2018 20:12 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Feb 2018 09:49 #262668 by Matt Thrower
I bought my copy of Space Hulk in 1989, the year it was released.

In that time I've managed to paint five marines and four 'stealers to completion.

At that rate, I'll be finished just short of my 111th birthday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries, jpat, hotseatgames

More
02 Feb 2018 10:14 #262670 by san il defanso
I painted mine. Am I still allowed to read this thread?

More
02 Feb 2018 10:27 #262672 by Colorcrayons

MattDP wrote: I bought my copy of Space Hulk in 1989, the year it was released.

In that time I've managed to paint five marines and four 'stealers to completion.

At that rate, I'll be finished just short of my 111th birthday.

Correction:

That would be your eleventy first birthday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
02 Feb 2018 11:04 #262678 by Shellhead

cranberries wrote: I sold my copy for a ridiculously low price to a local buy who low bid on Ebay. At least he'll play it. But I kept a copy that has no minis, so I need to figure out what size wooden discs to buy (who did that on here? Who is the wooden disk game guru?) and make a version where the pieces actually fit on the squares.

I'm the wooden disk guy. In fact, my ambitious project for this weekend is to punch out the token sheets I made for Chaotic Adversaries (Silver Tower/Hammerhal) and mount them on wooden tokens. I will take a look at my Space Hulk tiles and tell you what size discs I would use. For the pictures, you could do scans from the Death Angel cardgame, or from photos people have taken of their finished Space Hulk minis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries

More
02 Feb 2018 20:14 #262717 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote:

cranberries wrote: I sold my copy for a ridiculously low price to a local buy who low bid on Ebay. At least he'll play it. But I kept a copy that has no minis, so I need to figure out what size wooden discs to buy (who did that on here? Who is the wooden disk game guru?) and make a version where the pieces actually fit on the squares.

I'm the wooden disk guy. In fact, my ambitious project for this weekend is to punch out the token sheets I made for Chaotic Adversaries (Silver Tower/Hammerhal) and mount them on wooden tokens. I will take a look at my Space Hulk tiles and tell you what size discs I would use. For the pictures, you could do scans from the Death Angel cardgame, or from photos people have taken of their finished Space Hulk minis.

I spent more than a few minutes trying to find the thread where you talked about this! Thanks for looking into it. I have a friend with Death Angel so I'll use that for my source material.

More
03 Feb 2018 08:27 #262722 by Shellhead

cranberries wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I spent more than a few minutes trying to find the thread where you talked about this! Thanks for looking into it. I have a friend with Death Angel so I'll use that for my source material.

The Space Hulk map tiles are 1", which makes 1" wooden nickels the obvious choice. There are at least three different companies in the U.S. that sell them online at a reasonable price. However 1" isn't very big for purposes of art. You might go with small pictures that show most of the figure, or go somewhat bigger and just focus on the face. Because of the significance of the gear used by the individual marines, I recommend show at least enough of the figure that you can identify the weapon, like the hammer or the claws or the flamer.

More
03 Feb 2018 09:23 #262723 by stoic

Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2018 10:00 #262724 by Cranberries

Shellhead wrote:

cranberries wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

The Space Hulk map tiles are 1", which makes 1" wooden nickels the obvious choice. There are at least three different companies in the U.S. that sell them online at a reasonable price. However 1" isn't very big for purposes of art. You might go with small pictures that show most of the figure, or go somewhat bigger and just focus on the face. Because of the significance of the gear used by the individual marines, I recommend show at least enough of the figure that you can identify the weapon, like the hammer or the claws or the flamer.

Thank you so much! I am also thinking of getting a 1-inch punch for cutting out the circles. I live in Utah, in the city where scrapbooking was invented, and can literally walk to three mega-craft stores, so if the discs aren't too expensive I'll get something there. Woo Hoo!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
03 Feb 2018 12:26 #262735 by Shellhead
If you buy in quantity online, the 1" wooden nickels will cost you roughly $0.05 each. Resist the temptation to buy them at a craft store, where they will cost considerably more. The hole punch is totally worth it, because cutting circles is a hassle.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds