October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Monsterpocalypse... is back!

More
08 Mar 2018 16:38 - 08 Mar 2018 16:48 #265095 by Colorcrayons

I honestly never thought id see the day. Please, I need wave 6.

www.monsterpocalypse.com/

Initial thoughts after cleaning up my underwear:

I think most people will still be using their original models. I seriously doubt scale will matter much if at all when it comes to Monpoc. It was never that kind of game..
So tourneys and such can go kick rocks.

I bet this will be expensive as fuck though, if the PP starter boxes are anything to go by. Making hunting down older prepaints even cheaper than going through the effort to redo your agendas and such.

Plenty of ways around the dumb PP are proposing. It's just good to see it back. And hopefully a bit more accessible this time rather than a good game that you cannot excel in unless you eat sleep and breath Monpoc.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 16:48 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, ufe20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 17:13 #265100 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I think Monsterpocalypse is one of the most underrated games of the last 20 years. I loved it so much but the blind buy sales model killed it. It required a constant churn so you never got to enjoy and learn the tactics for what you had and the rare models occasionally being super powerful meant that money bought skill.

I am hopeful that the new sales model will finally give it the recognition that it deserves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
08 Mar 2018 17:17 #265104 by Michael Barnes
Fuckin’ hell! I am IN! G.U.A.R.D. and Terrasaurs!

I actually like that it’s not prepainted, I want to paint the GUARD stuff in particular. Like the bigger size too.

I only dabbled in the original game- it was overly complicated. But I trust PP to make a quality product and I think they will do right by it.

Now if they get a license from Toho...god help us.

More
08 Mar 2018 17:18 #265105 by Michael Barnes
Also...how fucking great is it to be able to be excited about this NOT being a god damned Kickstarter?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Jexik, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
08 Mar 2018 17:24 #265107 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Also...how fucking great is it to be able to be excited about this NOT being a god damned Kickstarter?

I saw something about Pacific Rim game kickstarter being placed on the day of the movies release.

So..... I get to watch a movie, get excited because of that marketing...wait forever (if ever) for the game to be delivered, instead of just going to the store and buying it right after watching the movie.

Stupid as fuck.

More
08 Mar 2018 17:51 - 08 Mar 2018 17:54 #265110 by Mr. White
I _might_ look at this. The boy is really getting keen on 40k. I'm not sure SH will be enough to satisfy. Maybe I can steer him towards this?
building up a cityscape table sounds like a nightmare though.

Odd they won't allow 1e figs in play though. Not to fanboy, but GW were never that restrictive. They never cared what year/edition a model was from just that it was a GW.
This seems a bad move. Allowing 1e figs puts a pre-exsiting player base in the stores at launch. Don't they want potential new players to see large groups playing their new shiny title?

EDIT: so is this going to be sold like traditional table top minis games or still blind boosters?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 17:54 by Mr. White.

More
08 Mar 2018 17:58 #265112 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Monsterpocalypse... is back!
it looks like traditional hobby miniatures. larger and unpainted.

More
08 Mar 2018 18:03 #265114 by Michael Barnes
I agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that they can not very well launch a new product line and then have players going straight to eBay (or the closet) for figures. The game would be completely DOA, financially. It isn’t realistic to expect them to support 10+ year old legacy product from another manufacturer.

Of course, nothing is stopping casual players from doing whatever they want, although I’m sure the miniatures will come with cards.

More
08 Mar 2018 18:07 #265115 by Colorcrayons
My question about all this is:

How are they gonna handle the hyper forms?

In the original, you had a translucent model replica of your monster. I seriously doubt they are going to provide a duplicate unpainted model in the kit.

Probably just a card you flip over to signify hyperform,or a new card altogether. Like they should have done originally.

More
08 Mar 2018 18:09 #265116 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Monsterpocalypse... is back!
unless they just took hyperforms out

More
08 Mar 2018 18:44 #265124 by Colorcrayons
If that's true, I see a ready made market for the old hyperforms.

PP will mostly sell units, and people will buy the 'much' cheaper option of buying the old hyperforms.

And why not? The new models are only marginally larger than the old, the sculpt quality isn't a leap and bounds above the old. The only real difference will be cost, and ever Monpoc player who switches to newer rules will have a complete duplicate set of their monsters waiting to be bought by noobs who don't want to spend $35+ on a kaiju.

More
08 Mar 2018 19:23 #265128 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Monsterpocalypse... is back!
I'm pretty excited about this. Was always interested in the old game but blind boosters, especially of something as clunky/wasteful as miniatures, can suck it. Here's hoping the price isn't too crazy.

How many factions and how many units per faction were there in the old game?

More
08 Mar 2018 20:12 #265132 by Ancient_of_MuMu

ufe20 wrote: How many factions and how many units per faction were there in the old game?

There were 12 factions. The first 6 were in the first 3 waves and the second six were in waves 4 and 5. I cant remember how many units but I think it was about 4-6 in each wave, so about 10-14 units per faction.

More
08 Mar 2018 20:56 #265135 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Also...how fucking great is it to be able to be excited about this NOT being a god damned Kickstarter?

I saw something about Pacific Rim game kickstarter being placed on the day of the movies release.

So..... I get to watch a movie, get excited because of that marketing...wait forever (if ever) for the game to be delivered, instead of just going to the store and buying it right after watching the movie.

Stupid as fuck.

If they made a Pacific Rim game based on Heroscape’s bones I would sell a kidney

More
08 Mar 2018 21:11 #265136 by Colorcrayons

Mr. White wrote: Odd they won't allow 1e figs in play though. Not to fanboy, but GW were never that restrictive. They never cared what year/edition a model was from just that it was a GW.
This seems a bad move. Allowing 1e figs puts a pre-exsiting player base in the stores at launch. Don't they want potential new players to see large groups playing their new shiny title?

I kinda doubt stores will block people from using their old models from playing, at least in a non tourney setting.
Having folks use old models on day one will draw others in immediately. Models and buildings are already painted. Just set up and draw onlookers in.
Oh your interested?
Check these out. *walks person over to monpoc wall* They are a bit bigger and a bit more detailed. They should be fun to paint.

I've never seen a game shop be so restrictive, despite what PP are saying. Unless the game has changed drastically, scale plays no role in the game and is thus irrelevant. I have no idea what PP even gave that as an excuse to be honest. They should have just been honest and said that they make more money by selling the same product to you again. But whatever. The PP police scare nobody. And now that they no longer have their official "privateers" or whatever tourney organizers were called, there is even less reason to worry about what models get used in official tourneys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds