October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2690 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
20 Jun 2018 01:21 #275789 by Michael Barnes
Just played an 8 player game including my 6 year old daughter and 8 year old son. It was, as you might imagine, complete mayhem. Five players had never played so it was definitely a learning game.

The highlight reel:

- Chaos at the starting gate! I spent my first turn blowing a skid roll and winding up ready to smash into a pipe on the second activation. We had three collisions by gear 2.

- Watching Population Control (a big Bus/Coach class APC piloted by my friend Pierre) try time and time again to do smash attacks...but struggle with the slow speed and sluggish handling. But once he went weapons got after the first gate, he had 7D6 pistol shots and wound up a pretty fearsome midgame brawler.

- Seeing Kristoff (piloting “Diablo Cody” get stuck for like 5 activations in what we called “Kristoff’s Korner” and he blamed it on a pothole printed on the mat.

- Telling Ryan “Hobbytown” McKorkle over and over again that he had to go through the gates in the direction of the arrows...while he circled around and went through the wrong way...and then he claimed he thought we were kidding. The maneuver is now known as the “Hobbytown Slide”.

- I dropped glue on the buggy-class Warthog Keren was driving, lowering him to second gear and then blasted him with the MG turret. He then proceeded to ram me into a pipe and I wiped out. That lead to me spending like 4 rounds in 1st gear going BACkWARDS down a long straight behind a pipeline.

- River’s “Army Devil” lead for most of the first half but an early collision and a godlike roll knocked off 7 damage. He wound up gunned down by Erekh’s car, whose name I’ve forgotten before the third gate.

- Scarlett’s taco truck had the best name and she came up with it on her own- “Taco Doomsday”. She almost single handedly took out the armor-plated Population Control with her 125mm “Queso Cannon” with a single roll that did 9 hits- and caused her to wipeout, flip, and crash. It gives 2 hazard tokens because it’s not meant to be mounted on civilian vehciles.

We made it to gate 3 before we had to call it with Ryan declared the winner (despite the game falling into dispute for a number of reasons, as our games always do). It was a ton of fun and everyone got the rules right away- very little need to even open the book. I think if we do another 8 player, we’ll do teams and use less terrain- it was really too dense.

This may be a top ten game- it’s almost perfect. And it supports 2-8 pretty smoothly, unlike most miniatures games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, the_jake_1973, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2018 17:01 #276100 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Next game I finally get to try the “thumper” and and the arc lightening projector.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD, the_jake_1973, GorillaGrody

More
24 Jun 2018 23:30 #276115 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Love the speaker wagon

More
25 Jun 2018 05:29 #276125 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Just ordered the rule book. should be here in a few days

Tried explaining the game to my wife.

Me: "You see, you get some Hot Wheels and customize them to look like they are out of a Mad Max movie. You remember Mad Max, right?"

She: "I remember Mad Max." With a still puzzled look.

Me: (Going on line and presenting some pictures of cars) "You put on machine guns or rocket launchers and then they fight."

She: (Looking at the images and coming to a decision) "That's stupid."

Me: (Now with me looking puzzled) "But Honey, you can put flame throwers or missals or whatever you want on them and then THEY FIGHT!"

She remains unconvinced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, lj1983, Jexik, the_jake_1973, GorillaGrody

More
25 Jun 2018 13:33 #276159 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I picked up that Death Ray terrain set that Barnes recommended. I’ll be heading out after work to pick up some cars and some materials to make roads.

More
25 Jun 2018 14:00 #276160 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Repoman, I'm guessing that she isn't a fan of The Three Stooges, either.

More
01 Jul 2018 12:35 #276659 by stormseeker75
Played a 4-player game yesterday. Really good times. We took one car each and ran a course with two gates and a really tight finish line. I rolled the WORST dice ever. It was attrocious. On the second turn, I ended up facing the wrong direction after a slide/spin combo. I was about half way through the track when the winner crossed through the gate. It was really tight. There were too cars heading towards the finish. One of them ended up wiping out, flipping, and crashing into the wall next to the gate which also gave him his last hull point. Epic finish. The woman that won evaded basically ever hit that was inflicted on her. It was ridiculous. Such a good time.

The only downside to this game was that it was about 3 hours. I wish I could get it just a bit shorter.

More
01 Jul 2018 14:35 #276662 by Michael Barnes
We do 20-30 minutes per player...the more you play, the quicker it goes. I find the resolutions to be WAY faster than most other minis games

Probably doing another 6 player game Tuesday...I’m thinking about running he Zombie smash scenario, or possibly the one with the turrets. Should be a massacre.

In other news, I got my stuff from Ramshackle. The armor plates are realy nice, but I think they are too thick for most cars- definitely more Truck/coach or even war rig stuff. The bikers are near but I think they are a little too small- I believe they are about Dark Future sized, but they kind of look a bit wee next the cars. I also got a bunch of drivers/gunners with the kits, so I’m going to try a couple of open top designs soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
02 Jul 2018 08:47 #276705 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Funny, it looks like we placed identical orders (I got mine a week ago). Bikers, armor plates, and the drivers/crew stuff.

More
02 Jul 2018 09:17 #276709 by stormseeker75
Rumor has it that the bikes from Sons of Anarchy are the perfect size. It's on sale for $12 at Miniature Market.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
02 Jul 2018 09:32 - 02 Jul 2018 09:32 #276710 by the_jake_1973
If you are interesting in kitbashing, 1/72 scale German WW2 motorcycles with or w/out side cars make for excellent bikes.

motorcycle on clearance
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 09:32 by the_jake_1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jul 2018 13:02 #276726 by stormseeker75
Those look pretty cool!

More
04 Jul 2018 18:57 #276890 by Michael Barnes
6 player death race last night. I am pretty sure that you can not actually finish a 6 player death race. Too many guns, too many crashes.

The field was:

Hotline Miami (my turquoise/purple buggy covered in spikes)
Space Jam
THE NECRON
Spear of Destiny
SS Hobbytown
Working Class Hero (a Jaws-themed car I made- spot the reference)

Naming your car is a big deal for us.

Highlights:

- All veteran players this time, so it was fast playing and far fewer stupid wipeouts- everyone managed hazard well and we actually didn’t have a wipeout until...Working Class Hero hit the tower on the first gate.
My son (Space Jam) dropped mines right in that middle of the gate. WCH tried to do a reverse hairpin (which we call “The McCorkle Tuck”) through them to get through the gate. He wound up sliding and crashing into a silo, and then wiping out.

- Right out of the gate, Spear of Destiny rammed me and rolled three sixes and a five. Brutal.

- THE NECRON was a performance car and leveraged that slip away thing to get an early lead...until I stupidly rocketed him in this narrow corridor between the first and second gates. My son- in 4th gear- threaded the needle perfectly between the wreck of THE NECRON and a container - and then blasted Spear of Destiny with a minigun. SoD wrecked and his three rockets exploded...which in turn destroyed SS Hobbytown. Which ALSO exploded. Fucking spectacular.

- Earlier, SS Hobbytown got shot up by WCH...but he rolled 4 sixes on his evade roll..

- River was declared the winner since he caused the most mayhem.

- Everyone was excited to see THE NECRON’s Arc Lightning Projectior in action...but it was never fired.

- Rockets may be OP- 6D6 plus blast is brutal!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stormseeker75

More
05 Jul 2018 22:53 #276957 by Space Ghost

charlest wrote: Funny, it looks like we placed identical orders (I got mine a week ago). Bikers, armor plates, and the drivers/crew stuff.

What stuff is this?

More
06 Jul 2018 02:05 #276969 by Michael Barnes
Ramshackle Games, a UK company...they have some 20mm armor/weapons sets as well as some 20mm bikers...

shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_...s&controller=product

I like their stuff (resin), but I think the Stan Johansen stuff I got is better. It’s pewter and a little more versatile. He has a great “Gaslands Special” that gives you some good armor pieces and a lot of weapons, including turret mounts.

www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/Road.htm

I haven’t bought any of this stuff yet, but Brigade Games has an assortment of parts that you buy by the sprue:

brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Vehicle-Cu...you-want_p_4418.html

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds