October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
12 Apr 2018 07:36 #267346 by stormseeker75
Yeah, me too. Jake invited me out for party once, but I couldn't go. I'd love to hang and try this game out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2018 10:42 #267367 by the_jake_1973
Da Bid and Storm. I am going to do some shopping for cars this weekend. I have been focused on getting my niece's power wheels Jeep finished (new paint, lights, etc.)
We could set up a weekend to throw down.

The Beer Olympics is happening on June 2nd this year. I'll put a thread up for it in case anyone is interested in participating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
12 Apr 2018 11:06 #267369 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
As an old-school Car Wars fan, it looks like Gaslands falls short of what I want from this kind of game. I liked the level of detail in Car Wars, though it eventually collapsed under the weight of too many expansions and some power creep in the newer weapons. This game seems a little too focused on the toy factor and hand-wavy on the system, which will likely lead to arguments during close games. And while the modified Hot Wheels look cool, their size will paradoxically make for smaller map layouts and slower-moving vehicles during combat.

More
12 Apr 2018 11:08 #267370 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands

Shellhead wrote: slower-moving vehicles during combat.

I seem to remember it taking about 2 hours and 80 phases for my Car Wars vehicle to move 12 inches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, lj1983

More
12 Apr 2018 11:49 #267375 by Shellhead

charlest wrote:

Shellhead wrote: slower-moving vehicles during combat.

I seem to remember it taking about 2 hours and 80 phases for my Car Wars vehicle to move 12 inches.

The vehicles could move faster in Car Wars because they had smaller tokens which meant potentially large maps. My favorite was the small town map from Sunday Drivers, which included a nice long main street.

But your point is good. The level of detail in Car Wars could bog the game down. My group played a huge amount of Car Wars in the '80s, so the turns went by fairly quickly unless there was a collision. One of our most ambitious duels used the Double Drum map, and each of our six players got $30,000 to spend on a pair of vehicles. Counting an hour of hasty vehicle design at the start of the session, the whole 12-vehicle fight took about 4 hours.

The Double Drum:

More
12 Apr 2018 17:07 #267407 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands

Shellhead wrote: As an old-school Car Wars fan, it looks like Gaslands falls short of what I want from this kind of game. I liked the level of detail in Car Wars, though it eventually collapsed under the weight of too many expansions and some power creep in the newer weapons. This game seems a little too focused on the toy factor and hand-wavy on the system, which will likely lead to arguments during close games. And while the modified Hot Wheels look cool, their size will paradoxically make for smaller map layouts and slower-moving vehicles during combat.

You can play at any scale you want. Just resize the templates. I'm not sure what you mean by hand-wavy on the system though. All arguments are settled by the rule of carnage: whatever results in the most damage is what happens.

More
12 Apr 2018 17:12 #267409 by Michael Barnes
I wonder if there is anyone out there that still regards Car Wars as worth playing today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Apr 2018 17:53 #267419 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I wonder if there is anyone out there that still regards Car Wars as worth playing today.

No idea, but in my imagination, there are a couple of events at Origins and GenCon, with maybe a dozen old-timers.

More
12 Apr 2018 18:29 #267422 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: I wonder if there is anyone out there that still regards Car Wars as worth playing today.

I do, I'm just not interested enough to make my own player aids. I really think the core mechanics are compelling, it's just that the way they are presented is a chore. I think the game needs not so much a redesign as it needs to present its content much better. Micro Machines would help, too.

In other words, I would need to work to print the CRT, devise a good way to write down damage and track speed and all that is work.

Anyways, my worry with Gaslands is the way you collect hazard tokens. I understand why it was designed this way, but it seems odd that the risk of a manouver is impacted not so much but what you are doing, but what you did on other turns. It makes sense, from a game design perspective but I liked the simulationist way it is handled in Car Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
12 Apr 2018 19:32 #267428 by hotseatgames

I came into possession of a LOT of these plastic screws. I'm going to use them as hazard tokens. If anyone wants any, PM me your address and I'll send you some, on me, if you are in the USA. Otherwise feel free to pay shipping and I'll send you some.

More
13 Apr 2018 07:51 #267445 by stormseeker75
You could throw those on a quick base and have all kinds of fun modding something up.

More
13 Apr 2018 09:08 #267452 by the_jake_1973
Thingiverse has a bunch of barriers and such for HO slot car tracks. They would look great with Gaslands.

Some people are also printing slot car bodies.

More
13 Apr 2018 10:25 #267466 by stormseeker75
Damn peer pressure. I bought a copy of the rules on eBay for less than $13 shipped. Now I have a good excuse to do modelling like a little kid. I'll have use for my miniatures paints. This should be fun.

More
13 Apr 2018 14:56 #267492 by the_jake_1973
I just bought my first Hot Wheels cars in years. There is a Marvin Martian one that will look super cool with a front mounted X-93 Particle Disintegrator.

More
13 Apr 2018 15:34 #267495 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I bought a copy of the rules and printed some templates. I found an Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile that is going to fuckin' wreck shop
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds