October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
06 Jul 2018 08:06 #276976 by the_jake_1973
I'll throw this link in here as well:

Dice Mechanic Games

Some awesome stuff that I am planning on buying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 09:17 #277151 by san il defanso
So let's say my kids have a bucket of Hot Wheels, and while I'm not interested in doing any modelling to get them to look all Mad Max-y, this game does sound like it's right up my alley. It sounds like my older son would be into it as well.

I know the visual appeal is a big part of what makes this fun, but would it be perfectly viable to just say that your Hot Wheel has guns that aren't actually visible? In other words, how important is the customization for this game?

More
09 Jul 2018 09:33 #277155 by hotseatgames
I have so far only played with stock hot wheels that everyone at the table "knows" what is on the cars. It's perfectly enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
09 Jul 2018 14:58 #277191 by the_jake_1973
Customization is of no consequence. No GW rules here!

More
09 Jul 2018 15:05 #277194 by Michael Barnes
The modeling is actually 100 percent optional. We use a lot of unmodded cars and no one cares.

You CAN also use cars that already have stuff on them. There are plenty of Hot Wheels with weapons, armor and so forth. For example, they make a car called Dune Scorcher that basically has front and back MGs on it. They do a Halo warthog that has an MG turret built in. One of the dinosaur cars has a middle rack on top.

You can also play the game as a straight up race- and it’s actually great that way.

More
09 Jul 2018 15:07 #277195 by Michael Barnes
All that said...once you start gluing toothpicks onto them, I think you’d find that it is tremendously addicting...

More
21 Jul 2018 19:16 #278080 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
There’s roughly a 100% chance I’ll be modifying the weapons list for a Mario Kart game.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, WadeMonnig

More
21 Jul 2018 19:24 #278082 by WadeMonnig
Damn, beat me to it
Close-Up Look at the Mario Kart Hot Wheels Toys! …:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, GorillaGrody

More
11 Oct 2018 03:45 - 11 Oct 2018 13:06 #282973 by zamakli2
Replied by zamakli2 on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
it... could be a good thing to add to Fallout as a driving part of the game, mix and match etc Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 13:06 by zamakli2.

More
28 Oct 2019 13:17 #302853 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I'm bringing this back from the dead because I need some advice. I decided I'm getting Gaslands for my nephew for the holidays, he's getting of an age where I think he can play. And my brother, his dad, fucking loved car wars back when he was a kid so I think he might be interested in playing with him.

So I bought Gaslands Refueled, but I'd kind of like to go a little further and make this a cooler, more personalized, gift. I'm going to go out looking for some hot wheels stuff or whatever, but I'm curious if anyone has any advice on any of the other hobby aspects. Specifically:

1) Templates---iirc, this game uses templates for movement, etc. Any good etsy shops or other "I have a 3d printer" links you guys have used for this game? I got a great, great set of rulers and stuff for Armada and it really improved my experience, but they don't do Gaslands.

2) Painting---so my hands are super shaky so I'll never be able to paint well, but I'm curious what you guys would suggest for some super basic stuff. I'll probably do a couple cars in matte black, think about some rust or bare frame color instead of the default hot wheels stuff, etc... maybe try some color in really broad strokes. What kind of paints would you suggest? I don't mind spending some money, there's a games workshop down in the valley or I'm doing this far enough ahead of time that I can order stuff too. Any good paint guides for this sort of simple shit?

3) Bits---I know people use WH40k bits. What is my best bet for just getting a few bits that I can glue on or whatever? Or can you do magnet stuff on this?

4) Terrain---any terrain recommendations? Cheap and storeable is good here, but ultimately this is my lowest priority.

Anyway, I'm not looking to make this look amazing or anything, I don't have any good skills. But a guide to basic painting and making the cars look slightly more wasteland I think would make this more fun and personal as a gift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, lj1983, Nodens

More
28 Oct 2019 13:44 #302856 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I've heard good things about this etsy store for templates and dice:
www.etsy.com/shop/thomaswynnstudio

More
28 Oct 2019 13:45 - 28 Oct 2019 13:45 #302857 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I haven’t tried it yet on my card, but instead of painting, I was looking to just strip the paint and go for a brushed stainless steel look. You can add a little rust, too if you want to go the extra mile. barametalHW is my go to for Hot Wheels mods.

Or just get a pile of the Mario Kart Hot Wheels if the boy is of the inclination. They look great and modding the rules to make weapons random drops from running over boxes is no problem.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 13:45 by DarthJoJo.

More
28 Oct 2019 14:08 - 28 Oct 2019 15:52 #302858 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
The easiest method is simply hitting a prepainted Hot Wheel with a matte sealer which will dull the bright color. Then drybrush rust and dirt. It looks very good honestly and it's so easy.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 15:52 by charlest.

More
28 Oct 2019 15:34 - 28 Oct 2019 15:39 #302860 by Michael Barnes
1) Templates

You can get these at virtually any Etsy shop and they are about the same. very little variation, what you will usually get are clear lucite plastic in whatever color. Buy your dice at the same seller. I got mine from Thomas Wynn. You want the token set too.

2) Painting

Charlie’s matte spray technique is by far the best way to go about it. Get some craft paints- black, silver, a dark brown, and a rust color to touch it up. Spray the car LIGHTLY, just leave it the color it is with whatever markings it has (looks really cool for police cars and such.) Repaint the wheels black. Tear off a piece of sponge and dab dark brown on it. Hit some edges with the rust color using a drybrush technique. Water down the rust color and streak it down from the top. Just play with it- making them look junky is the point. Note that there are some Hot Wheels that already have some Gaslands-y features- I bought a VW yesterday that only needs a gun glued on it and it is good to go. keep an eye out for stuff like muscle cars with no hood.

3) Bits

North Star does a two sprue set for about $13 called Implements of Carnage. It is by far the best, easiest to use, and cheapest weapon set I’ve seen. It had a lot of basic MGs, missiles, a harpoon launcher, droppers, armor plates and so forth. Also two bikes with riders as a bonus. It doesn’t really have turrets though, or some of the more exotic weapons. There are other metal and resin options out there but I think those are going to be more work than you want to get into. Glue the weapons/armor on before you spray the matte on it so you can paint them black/silver/whatever.

4) Terrain

This is where you are going to run into problems. Most of the terrain available is MDF, which is HORRIBLE. I hate building it, I hate painting it. There really aren’t any plastic kits. I mostly use 40k Sector Mechanicus stuff- containers, pipes and industrial buildings. I also use some of the debris from Necromunda. I have a decent MDF set of gates, tank traps, tires, and turrets that I got from Death Ray Designs. They are fine, but I hated every minute of assembling and painting them. Hot Wheels scale is a little weird, it’s between 15mm and 28mm so you’ll see a lot of too small or too big stuff.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 15:39 by Michael Barnes. Reason: C
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Oct 2019 16:16 #302864 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I used Labmasu in Italy (an official Friend of Gaslands) to make some custom painted templates that look awesome and are a step above the plastic ones. They cost around $15 ($23 shipped to the US) so much the same price, worth checking out.

It's late here and dark so apologies that the colour is a bit off.

Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds