October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Lancaster Host is open again?

More
15 Jul 2018 22:53 #277620 by Sagrilarus
There's other venues in the city.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2018 22:59 #277621 by Gary Sax
My post above definitely makes me sound like an elitist prick re: money for lodging when you have to do it multiple days. I just think the tradeoff some people are willing to make is pretty extreme.

More
16 Jul 2018 00:29 #277628 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: My post above definitely makes me sound like an elitist prick re: money for lodging when you have to do it multiple days. I just think the tradeoff some people are willing to make is pretty extreme.

I was willing to put up with it for the convince of the location when it was just kind of down at the heels and threadbare. And it was so cheap that we’d get the Spawn and her cousin their own room, and let them sublet the extra bed space out to their friends (she could keep what ever money they gave her for their share of the room as spend money for the week). It was a total party atmosphere in part because the place was so rundown no one gave a shit. But then it got way beyond rundown the last two years. The rain of bugs was the last draw for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Jul 2018 09:57 #277651 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: There's other venues in the city.

With 80,000 sq feet of meeting space ? With room rates that won't be appreciably higher than the current ones ( $125/night ) ? With adequate tables of the proper type ? Please provide a link.

People often suggest Hershey, which isn't far away. The Board looked into that and found room rates pushing $200/night. That's a deal breaker for a lot of folks.

Look, the subject of alternate/prospective sites has been hashed to death over the last couple years. Its telling that Historicon ended up considering the Host and the downtown Lancaster place just as WBC did. Bottom line, there aren't many sites to even consider, and they all have pros and cons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
16 Jul 2018 12:01 - 16 Jul 2018 12:10 #277667 by Sagrilarus
80,000 square feet is a showstopper for just about everywhere cheap. I'll grant you that. The monster venue in Central PA is the Farm Show Arena, something like 25 acres of space. But if I recall correctly it doesn't have hotels attached to it. I always commuted to it because I lived close by.

I appreciate Historicon has much bigger setups than WBC, but I'm surprised they need that much space. Apparently there are a LOT more people attending than when I was there last (about 25 years ago.) It used to be a day trip to a place a few miles away from my house, and you could walk the room in detail in an hour or two. WBC I expect to be bigger, Historicon not so much.

Hershey is a nice part of the world but it's a bit off the main highways. And there's no overflow hotel space.

I had more or less written off WBC prior to the Host going south, largely because I felt like I was spending a lot of money for what I was getting in return. Good fellowship for sure, but I can get that at mini-cons and if I'm going to travel for one I'd much rather head up to New England for Trashfest than to Pittsburgh for WBC. Cheaper, more cozy, more friendly, plenty of people to play with.

Didn't mean to stir the same old pot with the thread. Last I heard the building was up for auction, and I expected to hear it was razed shortly after that. Build new seemed the best option for a location that didn't get significant bids. Seeing it still in existence (and running) on the Historicon web site caught me by surprise.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2018 12:10 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Jul 2018 13:00 #277678 by SuperflyPete
I think they should move to Wilmington OH’s R+L center. Massive venue, cheap, and easy to get to from any direction.

More
16 Jul 2018 18:25 - 17 Jul 2018 05:04 #277712 by Msample

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think they should move to Wilmington OH’s R+L center. Massive venue, cheap, and easy to get to from any direction.

Another 4.5 hours further west puts it outside the geographic area the Board wants to stay within. For New Englanders, it’s a very long drive.

Also, the current site has another 8-9 years left on the contract.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 05:04 by Msample.

More
17 Jul 2018 12:03 #277769 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: I'd much rather head up to New England for Trashfest than to Pittsburgh for WBC.

Does that mean we might see you up here one of these years?

More
17 Jul 2018 12:22 #277771 by ubarose
Lancaster is a pretty perfect location for a con. It's close enough to the outer suburbs of Philly and Baltimore that some people just commute to the con. It's damn close to both DC and NYC. Plus there are several nearby college towns.

Moving WBC to 7 Springs didn't hurt the numbers much, but we did a lot of those 20/30somethings commuting in from Philly/Baltimore/Harrisburg and the local college demographic, which has changed the tone of the event. Much more a family vacation feel than a weeklong party.

Also lost some of the NY/NJ vendors and designers - transporting product that extra distance was just too costly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Jul 2018 15:43 #277779 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I'd much rather head up to New England for Trashfest than to Pittsburgh for WBC.

Always looking to make it work. Haven't pulled it off yet, but let's see what this year brings.

I drive from Annapolis and used to day-trip it. When I started playing with the FATties I needed to overnight because your marquis game sessions didn't start until 7pm. But day trips were a lot of fun and super cheap.

More
17 Jul 2018 16:05 #277783 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Always looking to make it work. Haven't pulled it off yet, but let's see what this year brings.

I drive from Annapolis and used to day-trip it. When I started playing with the FATties I needed to overnight because your marquis game sessions didn't start until 7pm. But day trips were a lot of fun and super cheap.

Veterans day weekend. Overnight is free if you stay with us or one of the locals, plus Friday night potluck dinner, leftovers for lunch, and what ever you can find in my kitchen for breakfast. But bring your own Scotch.

More
18 Jul 2018 15:26 #277848 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: But bring your own Scotch.

Deal is OFF.

More
18 Jul 2018 20:29 #277869 by Msample
Apparently these were plastered all over the hotel for Historicon.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3

More
18 Jul 2018 20:57 - 18 Jul 2018 20:58 #277871 by Sagrilarus
That's Shellie's fault. She and her cohorts ruined it for everyone a few years back.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 20:58 by Sagrilarus.

More
18 Jul 2018 21:38 #277874 by Gary Sax
Haha, with no beer taps too, just bottles. Nervy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds