October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

How Many Unpainted Minis Do You Own?

More
19 Oct 2022 11:48 #336277 by Michael Barnes
LMAO the in advance priming..."well, I got the fan out, might as well..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2022 12:26 #336278 by Shellhead
At my age, a cluster of unpainted gray minis looks like indistinguishable blobs from just two feet away.

More
19 Oct 2022 14:00 #336280 by Joebot
I was doing pretty good on getting through my haul from the Reaper 5 Kickstarter. Then I got a bunch of stuff from Archon Studios' "Dungeons and Lasers" Kickstarter, and I switched over to painting those instead. I think Reaper stuff is mostly 28mm, and Archon is mostly 25mm, and you wouldn't think 3mm would be a big fucking deal, but to my tired old eyes, those Archon minis are TINY. Also, Archon figures are hard plastic on a sprue, and I didn't think I would like snipping them off and gluing them together, but honestly ... that part is weirdly fun and satisfying.

I don't use my painted figures for anything really. All my D&D is strictly online via roll20. I don't use any of my painted minis for gaming. I just like painting. I put on a podcast, and I can just zone out and ignore the world. I love it. I don't care if that painted mini sits on the shelf and collects dust for the next 30 years. I had fun painting it.

More
19 Oct 2022 14:45 #336283 by n815e
They say you can’t die unless all your miniatures are painted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Virabhadra

More
19 Oct 2022 15:32 #336284 by Shellhead

n815e wrote: They say you can’t die unless all your miniatures are painted.

Who said that? George RR Martin?

More
19 Oct 2022 15:54 #336287 by n815e
LOL

It’s an old miniatures wargamer superstition, it excuses an excess of purchases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
19 Oct 2022 16:36 #336288 by Virabhadra

Michael Barnes wrote: LMAO the in advance priming..."well, I got the fan out, might as well..."

If I know how I plan to paint them down along the line, I'll give models a quick zenithal prime or a colored basecoat to play with them in the meantime. They stand out much better than plain polystyrene.

I'm a big fan of the colored plastics they've been using for smaller releases. Wonder if they'll do more with that?

More
02 Nov 2022 03:26 #336547 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: LMAO the in advance priming..."well, I got the fan out, might as well..."

Really it was more a function of having an aerosol can of primer that I figured wouldn't be wise to either ship or to take in a carry-on, so I figured, "might as well!"

He said in a very defensive voice...

More
02 Nov 2022 08:46 #336551 by fightcitymayor
I've learned to love assembling and spray priming a mini (in a color like flat gray, flat green, flat khaki, etc.) and leaving it at that. The social media era means we get to see studio painters throwing around their professionally done stuff that makes my efforts look like total shyte, so I declare defeat and simply retire from the arena.

I do like the newer Skinny Minis acrylic standees. All the fun of minis, none of the painting & fewer storage issues.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Kmann

More
02 Nov 2022 10:46 - 02 Nov 2022 10:48 #336554 by southernman
Well I've never painted a miniature for a game (and I'm getting old now and own, and have owned, a lot of boardgames so we're talking decent period of time) but last year I realise I was getting a few games now, thanks to kickstarters, with lots and lots of decent looking grey minis that looked pretty below average on the game boards - plus they are mostly medium to large so that helped my decision - and I had read a bit, and watched some videos, on basic dry brushing over a black primer. So I thought what the hell, they can't look any worse than grey plastic - have a go.

Started on Awaken Realm's Lords of Hellas 'cos they're fantastic looking minis and a good size for older eyes and fingers. My god did it take me a long time, core and kickstarter bonus box, many stops as I got bored and taking much longer on each mini than a real painter would take just dry brushing - but I finished in the end, and they do look much better than grey plastic. The smaller hero figures are so-so, a bit too small for me but they still are (just) better than grey plastic. While I still had a slight flame of interest in me I started on the smaller minis in Fortune and Glory, got the Nazis and Zeppelin done before I was over it (the Nazis came out looking quite evil, could nearly pass as zombie Nazis, so worth the effort) and paints and brushes were put away.

And then about three months ago, bored during summer and with a few more kickstarters having arrived with grey hordes (Deep Madness and Bloodborne), I pulled the paints out and started again - Bloodborne because they had larger minis and we were playing it. Again took me a lot longer than any of you guys would take but with a combination of dry brushing and a (very) little bit of painting I finished the core box minis ... well apart from half a dozen smaller ones as I ran out of primer. And I have impressed myself, they are not anywhere in the league of real minis painters but for boardgaming and looking at them from 10 - 12 inches away I may give myself a soft 7 ... and if the attachment feature ever starts working for me in these forums I may be brave enough (one day) to post a photo :lol:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2022 10:48 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Virabhadra, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds