October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
28 Oct 2019 19:58 - 28 Oct 2019 20:00 #302874 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: 4) Terrain---any terrain recommendations? Cheap and storeable is good here, but ultimately this is my lowest priority.

For terrain, at bare minimum, you should have 3 or 4 gates and starting/finish lines, which just need to be two upright posts/somethings with a Long Straight template distance between them.

If you are interested, and the timing works out for you, I could print you some terrain and mail it to you. Material cost would probably be less than $15, and it doesn't weigh much. Painting it is pretty easy. All the gates you just need to sponge on some silver and sponge on some rust brown. Jersey barriers paint gray and sponge darker gray, etc. I could do any or all the stuff below.

Starting line and finish line (two copies of the structure):

Gates 1-4:

Fencing:

Plastic Barriers:

Jersey barriers (intact and damaged), tire piles, junk piles, pallet of barrels:

Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 20:00 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 13:06 - 30 Oct 2019 13:33 #302934 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Getting back to this---thanks for all the advice! What quality craft paint can I can work with, can I just roll into Michaels or whatever for this low level of paint treatment? Michael's suggestions were very helpful.

Thanks for all the links... I might take you up on those start/finish line terrain items if you're willing and have time.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 13:33 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Oct 2019 16:06 #302945 by the_jake_1973
I have had decent results with bog standard craft paints and powdered pastels for weathering. You could opt for any acrylic paint though. I have become more fond of tube acrylics and thinning medium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Oct 2019 16:30 #302946 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I’d just go go for the $1 bottles and not the .50 ones.

There are a couple of Citadel paints that may be worth investing in:

Agrax Earthshade- the classic chestnut wash- makes even a lime green Countach look grimy and tore up.

Typhus Corrosion- a dark, milky brown with grit texture in it. Apply with a sponge for instant filth.

Ryza Rust- bright orange dry paint that gives you an instant rust look. Works great on Typhus Corrosion. Don’t be scared of the color, when drybrushed it is the right shade.

Necron Compound- really shiny silver dry paint. Make painted metals look flaked and worn at the edges. Looks great on blacks (such as on weapons).

I’d also recommend their Munitorium Varnish- it’s expensive, but it is the best matte varnish I’ve tried.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
30 Oct 2019 20:25 #302951 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: I might take you up on those start/finish line terrain items if you're willing and have time.

Absolutely. If all you want are the Start and Finish line gates, those can be done in 2 days or so. Let me know and I'll start them.

More
01 Nov 2019 06:58 #303007 by ModelVillain

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, I’d just go go for the $1 bottles and not the .50 ones.

There are a couple of Citadel paints that may be worth investing in:

Agrax Earthshade- the classic chestnut wash- makes even a lime green Countach look grimy and tore up.

Typhus Corrosion- a dark, milky brown with grit texture in it. Apply with a sponge for instant filth.

Ryza Rust- bright orange dry paint that gives you an instant rust look. Works great on Typhus Corrosion. Don’t be scared of the color, when drybrushed it is the right shade.

Necron Compound- really shiny silver dry paint. Make painted metals look flaked and worn at the edges. Looks great on blacks (such as on weapons).

I’d also recommend their Munitorium Varnish- it’s expensive, but it is the best matte varnish I’ve tried.

^^ This! For Gaslands you're not so much painting, as you are wearing, distressing, and finishing. I'd agree the easiest thing to do isn't apply a basecoat + layers of acrylics, but sand down/wash/sponge/drybrush/seal an already painted vehicle.

If you can buy some cheaper art store paints and know how to improvise color/texture etc. then by all means go for it -- you may just need to experiment with a witch's brew of mixes and thinning. Otherwise, I think Barnes is on point -- the Citadel / hobby paint stuff really shines, even when it comes to value-for-money -- they're made and mixed to do exactly what you want. Super easy to apply, and the results are excellent.

Plenty of published/community online paint guides too, spanning virtually any minis game or line, GW or otherwise. Knowing exactly what named paints to use (or how to map them to other/cheaper lines) can save a bunch of time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
01 Nov 2019 09:02 #303011 by Michael Barnes
I should also point out that those Citadel paints -do not- have a cheap craft store alternative. As ModelVillain pointed out they are technical paints made for specific results. Some hobbyists make their own washes, but I’d rather pay a couple of bucks more for a ready to use and consistent product.

He also made a great point there- don’t think of this as painting the cars- you can do that, but if you just want table ready Mad Max cars, you don’t have to repaint them at all. You see a lot of stuff out there where people are disassembling their cars and all that but I don’t see the point.

One thing you might want to do is to get some Tamiya masking tape- it’s really thin and you can use it to cover windshields and windows. When you hit the car with the varnish, it makes the windows look milky and opaque. You might not mind it and and you can paint them black or whatever, but if you want clear windshields you’ll have to do this.

I’m about to get back into this racket myself, picked up some new cars to play with and some of those Northstar weapons.

More
01 Nov 2019 09:29 - 01 Nov 2019 09:30 #303012 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
This is our favorite game in my group. It delivers EVERY time. It's the only game we play where losing is legitimately just as much fun as winning. Maybe more. If you can't laugh at your car flipping over, skidding into a rock and exploding because you were carrying too much ammo...I don't want to know you.

I have an MDF Taco Bell store that is in perfect scale and I can't WAIT to get it painted up and weathered.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 09:30 by blatz.

More
01 Nov 2019 09:52 #303013 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Has anybody built a war rig yet? I went through a couple of semis looking for the perfect one and finally settled on a tanker that looked appropriately scaled. That, and about 12 motorcycles, were going to be my project before I put everything away and got distracted by other games.

More
01 Nov 2019 10:25 - 01 Nov 2019 10:29 #303014 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I almost posted on here about how people do hot wheels semis, if that's a thing, I'm glad Charlie popped in.

The tape tip is a good one. I'm looking at amazon right now---will 6mm be sufficiently small for me to cover up some windows, etc? I'll have to think about how deep I want to go on "real" paint.

PS: I PMed you Disgustipater
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 10:29 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Nov 2019 10:27 - 01 Nov 2019 10:28 #303015 by Michael Barnes
I haven’t found a base vehicle for one that I like. Scales are weird, all the Hot Wheels/Matchbox options are goofy looking, and none have the right tone so to speak.

I love the one in the book that has other cars for armor.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 10:28 by Michael Barnes.

More
01 Nov 2019 10:27 #303016 by Michael Barnes
I haven’t found a base vehicle for one that I like. Scales are weird, all the Hot Wheels/Matchbox options are goofy looking, and none have the right tone so to speak.

I love the one in the book that has other cars for armor.

More
01 Nov 2019 10:31 #303017 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Yeah I bought 3 I think on Ebay before I settled on that felt the right scale. I spent a lot of hours looking at ones on Amazon and none of them seem to be the right size, most are too small as they aren't the same scale as the cars.

More
01 Nov 2019 12:38 #303031 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I got a couple of 1:65 scale semis from aliexpress.

More
01 Nov 2019 12:40 - 01 Nov 2019 12:41 #303032 by Gary Sax
Last edit: 01 Nov 2019 12:41 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds