October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
24 Mar 2020 16:56 #308537 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
man, all of these make me jealous.

I went an bought a small set of paints for D&D models and gaslands stuff....and haven't touched it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2020 18:17 #308540 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
The nice part is you don't have to feel guilty, you didn't buy like 300 dollars in models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, lj1983

More
04 Apr 2020 15:07 - 04 Apr 2020 15:09 #308905 by Gary Sax
Finally got a game of Gaslands in. Not picture in those, the toxic waste pool my partner made. She's been making terrain pretty furiously. Good thing she liked the game, given how much energy we've been putting into modeling, painting etc. Right now a lot of the stuff in this picture is only halfway done or so. Paint pots filling in for the sort of minor bullshit tires, debris, and road barriers you need for this game.

My buggy is named Skullface.

Last edit: 04 Apr 2020 15:09 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, charlest

More
16 Aug 2020 21:54 - 16 Aug 2020 21:59 #313163 by Disgustipater
After harassment from my friends, I finally crafted my first car for Gaslands. A Highway Patrol car. I'm not super happy with how the weathering turned out, but it's more than fine. Also my first time using decals. They didn't turn out too bad and I learned a few things for next time.

The pictures are probably too close, and show every speck of paint harshly.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 21:59 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Brewmiester, drewcula, mc, DarthJoJo

More
17 Aug 2020 16:35 #313189 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
When Douglas MacArthur said "I shall return", I didn't realise he meant "in the postapocalyptic future as a shotgun toting squad car crew member after being cryogenically frozen".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
22 Dec 2020 22:39 #317459 by Gary Sax
My spouse and I have gotten back to Gaslands. Does anyone have any favorite scenarios? We've just been doing the race and we're ready for more

More
22 Dec 2020 23:16 #317461 by Disgustipater
Here are the ones I've played. All of them were with at least 4 players, so YMMV with only 2.

Capture the Flag: This was fun with four people. Not sure about only two. You are basically racing toward the other cars with flags to either destroy them or snipe the flag when someone else destroys them, all the while trying to avoid the same fate. A lot of nice tension and decision-making.

Flag Tag: Similar to CtF but the flags stay at spawn points. With only two players, it'll likely just turn into a race toward the other player's flag, but maybe there's some interesting attack and defend tactics to be had. We had a tank in this game who was able to pivot so he kind of cheesed the scenario by grabbing a flag, and when it respawned, he just pivoted towards it instead of having to make a big circle back around like a normal vehicle. He also placed his spawn as close as allowed to another player's spawn. This resulted in a general house rule where the spawn points are evenly spaced around the board and you choose which one you want to start at. All in all, I much prefer Capture the Flag over this one.

Big Game Hunter: This is a cool scenario. You are basically wrangling monsters. You shoot them to draw their attention toward your spawn and trying to pull enemy focused monsters away, while your opponent is doing the same to you. We used Cthulhu Wars figures for the monsters, but for my own set, I'm making a set of armored dinosaurs.

Zombie Bash: This feels like a game of One Step Forward, Two Steps Back. Losing 5 zombies when wrecked is a big deal. There's not as much combat in this scenario since people are concentrating on running over zombies. I've played this twice now and won't choose to play it again myself.

Arena of Death: Just a free-for-all with gun turrets scattered around. We rolled an 11 for the number of turrets, so they chewed us up pretty badly. It was fine, but likely won't see many repeat plays.

I'm really interested in trying the Express Delivery scenario because it has a "Rolling Road" mechanic where you reset the table when a player reaches the other side. But it is a bit daunting to have to re-do all the terrain multiple times with 4+ players since the games can go long as it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2022 19:10 #330502 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands

I think this car came out pretty cool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, drewcula, sornars, charlest, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
06 Feb 2022 19:12 #330503 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Love the dirt and the red slash across "Police".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
06 Feb 2022 19:33 #330505 by Gary Sax
Looking good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
06 Feb 2022 21:22 #330506 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
One more, we're going ham tonight :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula, sornars, Nodens

More
07 Feb 2022 03:25 #330508 by Erik Twice
My girlfriend gifted me a copy of the game and a bunch of cars! Now I only need to print the tiles and actually learn the rules.

Any tips for a first play?

More
07 Feb 2022 09:57 - 07 Feb 2022 09:58 #330511 by Gary Sax
Some people recommend doing the free for all destruction dome scenario to start instead of the death race. I like death race more than most.

Otherwise it's pretty fool proof and you'll know if you like it. I'd be tempted to at least get some laser cut movement templates but the paper ones will still work fine.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2022 09:58 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
07 Feb 2022 11:24 #330515 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I'd also suggest the zombie scenario for a 'slightly' less head-to-head-to-head confrontational experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
07 Feb 2022 11:57 - 07 Feb 2022 11:58 #330516 by Disgustipater
For those who may not be aware, Mike Hutchinson (the designer) has released some experimental rules updates for Wipeouts and Evades. I really like the new wipeout rules. There’s a lot fewer “sit out for the entire round” situations.
I’ve only played with new evasion rules once, so I am still undecided. It makes vehicles more durable, which could be a positive or negative, depending on your viewpoint.

gaslands.com/rd-wipeouts/
gaslands.com/rd-evades/

Erik Twice wrote: Any tips for a first play?

I think the "Street Race" beginner scenario in the book is a good first play. It's basically just a simplified version of Death Race. 95% of my games are races, but I don't necessarily disagree with the Arena of Death (sans turrets?) as your first go.

I would keep your list simple at 35 Cans, or even just use the book's recommendation of each player getting a car and a buggy with a front-facing machine gun. And maybe not on your very first game, but I would definitely use the Sponsors/Perks and Audience Votes as standard practice.

I doubt you need this, but just to be thorough, here’s a couple of commonly confused rules:

1) You get to move and shoot every time you activate, which means the higher the gear you are in, the more times you go. But your movement options get more limited the faster you go.

2) When rolling Skid Dice, using a Shift result to change gears gives you an immediate hazard, which means you can use another Shift result to cancel that hazard. However, Slide and Spin results don’t resolve until the end, so you can’t cancel the hazards you get from those if you choose to resolve them.

Helpful resources:

- Quick Reference: gaslands.com/wp-content/uploads/Gaslands...led-QuickRefCard.pdf
The last page outlines the steps in each phase as well as how wipeouts and wrecks resolve. I still use this every time I play.

- Vehicle dashboards: gaslands.com/wp-content/uploads/Gaslands...elled_Dashboards.pdf

- The FAQ: gaslands.com/wp-content/uploads/Gaslands-Refuelled-FAQ.pdf

- Online list builder: lukerazor.dx.am/GTB/GRTB_inline.html
There's several online list builders out there, but this one is my favorite. I really like the layout of the printed dashboards.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2022 11:58 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, drewcula, sornars, Erik Twice, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds