October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Core Space chat

More
13 Feb 2022 15:03 #330739 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Core Space chat
Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2022 18:49 #330830 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Core Space chat
I would love to know what they were thinking with these tiny, TINY Console Runes. I have lost one without even trying. A truly incomprehensible component choice. For people who don't own the new Core Space... there are 4 "tokens" that, and I am not exaggerating, measure approximately 1/8" x 1/2". They are essentially cardboard waste, and you are supposed to find these things in chests during missions. They also blend in perfectly with the game mat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
16 Feb 2022 19:54 #330832 by Gary Sax
I thought they were waste too, I had to fish them out of the assorted discarded sprues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
16 Feb 2022 20:05 #330834 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Core Space chat
Yeah those suck. I would just use something else to represent them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Feb 2022 13:43 - 19 Feb 2022 13:46 #330928 by charlest
I was in a bit of a malaise for whatever reason and really wanted to open up and play 303 Squadron instead, but I pushed through and setup the first campaign scenario. I've now played two and have the itch again.

Still love this game. While First Born is still Core Space, there are quite a few differences, many of them more subtle than I was expecting.

The power level increase is kind of staggering. Cassie, the captain, in particular is a powerhouse. Balcor the wookie dude is pretty strong as well. In regular Core Space, it was much more common to start with crew members with one skill peg, and one native skill on their board if they were lucky. Most people don't have any natural armor, where you get two with a point of armor in this set.

The First Born environment seems more dangerous, however, which balances this out to a degree. I really dig how different it feels, how the threats have a distinct personality from the previous game, and the tempo itself is changed up. This is all great, not necessarily better, but I'm thankful the First Born have a different feel.

Big fan of them also including some of the Dangerous Days campaign rules here, such as paying crew after each mission and ship repairs being more costly. Same with the career upgrades and it being harder to gain them past the first level. If you bounce back to the regular Core Space set Mark, I'd recommend you use these rules as they improve the game significantly (progression is too fast in OG CS).

I'm jonesing to start mining, but I don't feel like the inventory space is well supported to be a prospector. It's just too costly to have a pickaxe take up a whole square slot, and then whatever you mine taking up additional space. Think the backpacks and bandoliers will make that more enticing. Or, maybe once I get a fourth crew member. I often use a fourth crew as a mule of sorts in previous campaigns. Give them a single not terribly costly weapon, and maybe even drop it for more expensive loot if given the opportunity.

LOVE the worms and hunters. Such a different personality than the civies/gangers/cops/workers/bounty hunters. I really appreciate how worms/hunters interact as well. It creates neat story moments independent of your actions.

My first mission was relatively calm and never even saw a Liege. Second mission went to hell, as Core Space often does, and I didn't even get near the 10UA Dyson stick.

The Knowledge Die is nuts.

I think they did a wonderful job with this sequel, rune sliver tokens notwithstanding.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2022 13:46 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars

More
19 Feb 2022 14:10 #330931 by Gary Sax
The contrast between Cassie and "Wade" is incredible in power level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Feb 2022 16:01 #330933 by hotseatgames
Agreed, Wade is a chump. I have the second mission set up, but haven't started it yet. The crew are sitting there at the airlock, expectantly. I like the changes as well, Charlie. I have not thrown the hunters into the mix, I think I want to experience the campaign as it suggests before throwing in other elements. At least at first.

I think after I complete the campaign it would be neat to throw the whole mess together. Maybe alternate spawning on the First Born enemy tracker and then the Purge tracker. I assume the Purge would fight the First Born but I don't know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Feb 2022 16:13 #330934 by charlest
The second mission has you putting Hunter event cards in, Mark. You should have a good shot at running into one or two.

More
19 Feb 2022 16:43 #330935 by hotseatgames
Ah, I guess I did forget the "set up the event deck" step :D

More
21 Feb 2022 08:24 #330954 by hotseatgames
I played mission 2 of the campaign last night, and had the easiest time I've ever had in a Core Space mission. My crew got in and out without ever firing a shot, all just prior to the hazard tracker getting outside of Patrol.

While it was fairly boring, I figured I'd take the easy victory where I can get it since usually this game dropkicks me. Had I not been lucky in mission 1, finding the alien key that lets me use the First Born secret doors, this mission would surely not have gone so easily. I was really glad I didn't sell it.

Speaking of selling, I now have enough money to buy a backpack, and I am surely going to. There is so much more loot in these levels than I have the capacity to carry.

More
21 Feb 2022 09:00 #330955 by charlest
I sold a key after the first scenario (couldn't pass up the 4 UA for a half slot item). That combined with Hunters showing up and tripping the alarm, made for a less than ideal outcome. I ended up just bailing before getting into too much trouble.

Scenario three was the most interesting yet. I outright failed, although came close to success. Stocked up with a backpack myself afterwards, as well as giving the Wookie a pickaxe and bandolier.

I've been fortunate not to leave a crew member behind yet. Rolling poorly on one of the evac charts and losing equipment can really dent your UA supply.

Haven't even seen a True Born yet, either. Imagine that will change soon as the scenario difficulty ramps up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
24 Feb 2022 17:57 #331043 by charlest
I'd recommend not failing the fourth scenario. This means you have to pay 25 UA to recruit the robot after the mission, instead of simply getting him for free. The middle of the map turned into Omaha Beach when a worm, two bounty hunters, and several First Born all collided. Balcor was caught in the crossfire and left behind, as was the robot. Everything went to hell.

I went from wealthy to basically having four UA in reserve, as I had to pay for the new crew member as well as buy it a pistol. My ship is in nearly mint shape, as it seems like I make it off with the repair Fibril every single scenario. If it was beat up, I'd be in serious trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
24 Feb 2022 18:04 #331044 by Gary Sax
That sounds like good tension to me...

Do you play that you can do whatever scenarios you want between scenarios of a campaign?

More
24 Feb 2022 18:45 #331046 by hotseatgames
Looking at how much they think you can pay for a ship change, it's hard to believe I'll ever be that flush with cash. I've done two missions and have 11 UA.

More
24 Feb 2022 18:55 #331047 by Gary Sax
I feel like at some point you get settled with decent guns so maybe you have a little more room to sell everything you find.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds