October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Core Space chat

More
24 Feb 2022 20:01 #331049 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Core Space chat
Yes, that's the tempo. You get comfortable and then it's all excess and you don't need new equipment. There are little bumps if someone loses their equipment or even dies, but mostly you will have excess UA at some point.

I have a lot of thoughts on the ship expansion already, and I haven't even played with it yet. Will probably look to introduce near the end of the 10 scenarios, if I can afford it.

Yes, Steve. You can sprinkle in any scenarios at any time. While the 10 scenarios in First Born - just like the previous core game campaign - are intended to be played in order, that's not even really necessary. You could play all 10 and then even go back to say, scenario 2, and play it again with the same crew.

That's honestly one of the strengths of the system in my eyes. There's not a huge amount of scripted campaign narrative, the campaign is really just the continuation of your crew.

I will realistically never do this, but I would love to see the game GM'd almost as an RPG with someone creating scenarios in response to the emergent story as you went along, as well as introducing galactic scale events. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a campaign event deck that produced introducing situations between scenarios. Could be used to introduce sidequest style diversions, as well as new situations such as temporary price increases, equipment shortages, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2022 20:49 #331050 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Core Space chat
I figured we start with the Eidolon so I'm using the ship expansion, but really at this point it doesn't matter because I don't have the money to do any upgrading.

Charlie, if I ever wring out all the Core Space I can, I'll just use the components with Stargrave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
25 Feb 2022 20:10 #331093 by charlest
I'm going to stop posting an update after every mission, but had to share with someone that I just came out of scenario 5 with 81 UA. Here comes a mechanized harness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars

More
28 Feb 2022 22:14 #331168 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Core Space chat
Phwew, I was -this- close to going all in on this game :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Mar 2022 18:22 - 05 Mar 2022 18:25 #331396 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Core Space chat
Spouse and I played our first game. We got in and got out, but the main fun feature was when drone and liege after liege descended on my wife's Chewbacca guy and she just went absolute ape shit on them. Killed like 4 liege and 5 drones. Standing next to the drone emergence closet bashing them as they moved away.

I'm sure we'll play again. Jury still out a little bit, the shopping and upgrading is fairly overwhelming for a new player. First Born is good about this because it front loads weird wacky stuff without you having to buy it. My wife got a weird matter telekinesis item where she can fling containers at people.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2022 18:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
05 Mar 2022 18:31 #331397 by charlest
For shopping, you can keep it fairly simple if you want. I tend to buy almost nothing between missions.

What you really need is armor for anyone who doesn't have it (Wade and Hopper), and then ideally high attack value pistols (such as the 3/1). Maybe a nano health token for each crew member.

Of course there's many more options. You could designate someone in a sniper role and give them a long range weapon at the expense of more inventory space. You can get some more upgrade items like the targeting laser nano token that allows a re-roll when attached to a weapon.

I tend to go light on gear for more loot space.

Skills can be overwhelming, but I tend to just fly through it and wing it. Such as going the pistol skill for Cassie, Walk it Off level 1 for everyone, trying to pick up Stubborn level 1 for a free move to get out of trouble, etc.

Once you've played a bit, you will sort of know what type of builds you want or favor and it becomes very quick. When playing solo, I will spend at most 5 minutes in the maintenance phase, and that includes paying expenses and making repairs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
05 Mar 2022 18:37 - 05 Mar 2022 23:08 #331398 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Core Space chat
We swapped Wade for the plant character, my wife was into it. Bought him some shiny new body armor as our only purchase so we are on the same page as you apparently.

Edit for action shot:

Last edit: 05 Mar 2022 23:08 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Mar 2022 11:06 #331532 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Core Space chat
Not sure if you saw the last KS update for this, but they announced their fantasy version of it and showed a prototype terrain setup. Seems they are going more vertical, it looked cool.

I don't have room in my life for two of these so I'm out. I'm not sure I have room for the one I have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds