October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

The Walking Dead - All Out War convention hit = The Walker Challenge

More
07 Jan 2022 16:45 - 07 Jan 2022 17:09 #329541 by drewcula
I owed a few F:ATties a breakdown of a convention staple: The Walker Challenge for The Walking Dead All Out War.

Below is a unedited recap to fellow Mantic reps of my first convention with The Walker Challenge. WashingCon 2019. I've since taken it to Adepticon and Gencon. It's a hit, and I've streamlined the process for maximum fun.

"Crazy A has a tale to tell, and it includes everything you could want; panties, zombies, a man's constant struggle for efficiency, and a sociopathic six year old.
I offered my fourth year as a counter-programmed Mantic Pathfinder at WashingCon. WashingCon is a little (1K), boutique gaming convention at Georgetown University in Washington DC. It's my town, it's an easy commute, and it's a nice distance after flying across several states during 2019. WashingCon is bizarre. It's all about board games, families, and friends. There are no ticketed events. Few sales. Just show up, and play. I served my time over the years as the ONLY rep offering a miniature game (or a miniature focused board game). 2016 = Dungeon Saga demos. 2017 = TWD: AOW demos. 2018 = DreadBall demos and tournament. 2019 = a return to TWD.
But this year's returns to TWD was inspired but what I saw at this year's Adepticon and Gencon. I saw a lot of folks having fun with the "Walker Challenge" scenario, and I knew that I could put butts in seats if I offered it myself. So early this summer, I got started on cranking out my own set. It would make its first public appearance at WashingCon.
- Every miniature painted.
- 20th Century Brick terrain painted and distressed.
- Dashboards purchased from some dude on Etsy, assembled and painted.
- A black and white map conversion of Mars Attacks into a dozen square tiles.
- Signage.
- Prizes (Thanks Pat!)
- Rules clarity (Thanks Taylor!)
I offered eight sessions, and I was running like the Italian trains. If any of you have been to one of my tournaments, I DO NOT FUCK AROUND. 90 minute blocks. If someone wanted to play, they signed up. 15 minutes (or less) of rules explanation. 60 minutes of gaming. 15 minutes to reset. Rinse and repeat for two days, and your voice is fried.
I had 40 gamers this weekend. But. Only 32 were unique. Many were having so much fun, they just signed up for additional seats later in the day. For those not in the know, it's a simple premise. Set up TWD:AOW into a shooting gallery. Kill the most zombies and win some stuff. For my iteration, I took a slightly different tact than what was done previously. I tricked out six of the best and most recognized characters from TWD. Each survivor was a 100pt beast. The map had 18 objective markers with a Walker standing right beside it. Attention was made about placement, but I'll explain in the photos. Scoring? Easy. Destroy a Walker? 1 point. Destroy a survivor? 3 points. NOTE: Destroying a survivor means wiping it off the map. If the survivor becomes a member of the undead, it still needs to be... destroyed.
Crazy good times. Our big winner had 8 points, followed by a four-way tie for second place with 6 points. The top dog got his big box of toys by finding a grenade and hurling it into a herd of Walkers that had just turned an ambitious survivor into a fellow member. It was truly epic. But not as epic as our last game, when a six year old kid controlling Negan brained Andrea, then brained her again as a Walker. Kids are sick little monsters. Check out any of the pics for more explanation."

Until I can successfully upload images, you'll have to use your imagination. Or, I guess I could post them on the Facebook site (gross!).

1) Georgetown University. Sunday morning. 8:30am. Fall is in the air.

2) After my first group left, a dude named Wes had the most kills with 5. That wouldn't last for long.

3) 100 point (well, 99) Brian Blake build.

4) 100 point Abraham build.

5) 100 point Andrea build.

6) 100 point Michonne build. I regret giving her a 15 point piece of Gory Clothing. It just wasn't practical in an aggressive Convention scenario. I'll switch this out for some more offensive gear.

7) 100 point Rick build.

8) 100 point Negan build.

9) Over head of my city. Great pains were made to make certain no survivor had a clean shot on any other player. Survivors started in the corners, with a fifth player in the middle right and a sixth in the middle left.

10) Different view of the city-scape.

11) For the occasional Walker herd roll (10 dice, or more?) - I used a thematic dice cup. No shit. This thing is an official TWD Yahtzee dice cup.

12) I had two signs up so lookie loos could figure out what the hell was happening.

13) I pre-built this deck. 18 objective tokens, 18 cards. I had play tested with predetermining where the cards were located, but it was just too much of a hassle, and not as much fun.

14) I absolutely pre-built this deck and kept the order tight. Left to right, top to bottom. These cards were ordered so that more Walkers would usually enter play every other round.

15) A rare shot when everyone is still seated.

16) Typically, I see the Dad coaching the kid to victory. Not this little man. He did it all by himself. He tied for second and took home a disfigured Rick.

For those in need of a thematic arc, I explained the situation like this; Carl (represented by his first mini on a rooftop) is an old man, suffering a fever dream of days past. His nightmare is from a rooftop perspective, as he looks into fractured memories. Six of his parent figures are alive and well, albeit roaming a city apocalypse as though it's a shooting gallery...
Last edit: 07 Jan 2022 17:09 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2022 16:58 - 07 Jan 2022 16:58 #329542 by drewcula
I have a lot of images to share, and no idea how to do it. This is coming from a guy who has been a member of the site for years.

If someone can patiently explain how to upload pictures, I'll back fill with undead goodness.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2022 16:58 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
07 Jan 2022 17:10 #329543 by Gary Sax
Ubarose can tell you for sure, but I think there are problems with uploaded picture image insertion and the forum software, unfortunately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
07 Jan 2022 17:19 - 07 Jan 2022 17:20 #329545 by drewcula
FYI: At Gencon 2021, some guy racked up 15 destroyed Walkers. It was awesome.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2022 17:20 by drewcula.

More
07 Jan 2022 18:19 #329546 by dysjunct
Could you upload them to Imgur or another site, then link them?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jan 2022 22:46 - 09 Jan 2022 22:48 #329583 by Smeagol
How big does the starting map measure?

I'm looking foreard to the pictures I'd like to re-create this and use your stuff as a jump start!
Last edit: 09 Jan 2022 22:48 by Smeagol. Reason: more comments

More
14 May 2022 15:32 #333045 by Smeagol
I'm going for this in the next week or so.

Any advice for table size, threat dial usage , or initiative would be greatly appreciated.

I'll share how I solve it afterwards if I don't hear from you!

Thanks for all the information you've given so far.

More
16 May 2022 09:59 - 20 May 2022 10:10 #333074 by Smeagol
We went with a 3x3.

Initiaitve handled by just passing the1st player marker to the left each turn. (thought about random init or other solutions)

We stopped twhen the threat dial reached the skull. That felt very premature so I'll have to adjust that. I don;t see how anybody could rack up the numbers of kills described above if the threat dial ends the game so I'll try letting it sit at max threat next week until some time limit or one player is the last alive.
Last edit: 20 May 2022 10:10 by Smeagol. Reason: correcting errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
20 May 2022 09:00 - 20 May 2022 09:02 #333159 by drewcula
I'm been a bad F:ATtie.
I've been meaning to message those who touched base, but I have a really good (sad) excuse. All of my notes, player aids, and the like are in my traveling TWD convention box. And...

My TWD convention box has been tucked away in storage. In another state. With another gamer. We (Mantic) didn't use it at Adepticon this March, choosing to focus our attention on the new naval game (Armada*) in the Kings of War universe. Alas, my walker horde is trapped in a storage locker in Ohio. I may be able to grab it for Origins.

* A lot of fun if you liked Man O War.
Last edit: 20 May 2022 09:02 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Smeagol

More
20 May 2022 10:10 #333165 by drewcula
Smeagol should just write my tired ass off, but I finally uploaded TWD Walker Challenge images to BGG. Once a moderator approves, he can laugh it off.

Sorry mate. I hope your event was excellent.

More
20 May 2022 10:13 #333166 by Smeagol
Nobody is upset! I'm glad to have your information as a launching point.

And: I feel not being able to find things.

I wrote up Michonne, Negan, Abraham, Rick, and Shane. And with my various project boxes and two workbenchs I couldn't find Rick, which is a pretty bad character to lsoe track of.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds