October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Arcane Legions

More
26 Aug 2009 18:23 #39420 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Arcane Legions
Anyone got a line on the cheapest place to buy this + shipping? I haven't started searching in earnest yet but it sound really fun.

Steve"liking what he's hearing"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2009 19:09 #39426 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Arcane Legions
Pat II wrote:

I'd be intrested to know how they felt about movement. In other words how did it feel with the movement rules - were the units free wheelling or tend to bunch in a mess of melee until all from one side were eliminated. I'm a little concerend over the size of the bases but not necessarily the unit cohesion aspect which is fine.

Are untis able to disengage quickly etc..

Just briefly "how did it feel" sort of question. Thanks in advance.

Ok here's what two people's answers were to your questions.

The size of the bases are exactly what they need to be. You have to realize that this is a Warhammer clone, but they've included the optional movement bases and made them mandatory. Don't forget that a standard game is 7,000 points per side and played on a 4'x6' table/board. So, you can basically count on having about 8-10 of these trays per side. Also keep in mind that some of the trays are square and only half the size of the rectangles.

Movement is easy. Snapping and sliding means that you don't wind up with some retarded clusterfuck in the middle of the map. Measuring movement is a breeze, and goes really fast. Limited orders means you won't spend ten minutes just positioning your guys.

In terms of physical, can-my-monkey-fingers-move-this physics, the bases are great. You're not going to accidentally toss all the pieces everywhere trying to move away from a fight. In terms of game speed, disengage actions come at a penalty, so you won't do it very often if you don't have to. But when you do it, it's generally pretty quick.

"How does the game movement/flow 'feel' to you?"

Like clarified butter. Turn length is nearly perfect - your turn is long enough to exercise some strategic and tactical options, but not so long that your opponent gets bored. Like a couple minutes, and then you're done. This game moves better than a fiber-eating hippie.

More
26 Aug 2009 20:23 #39431 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Arcane Legions
This all sounds very good. I've been wanting a fairly inexpensive table top wargame with monsters and regular troops for quite some time - and one I can plop down $150 and realistically be done with it (with enough for two people to play). Bonus I only have to paint half of the models also.

More
08 Oct 2009 15:13 #44226 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Stop talking about Arkham Minis
Stop talking about Arkham Minis and start chatting about this thing again. Tycho at Penny Arcade is entranced .

Can anyone figure out the retailing? The closest store to me is 55 miles away. I'm in LOS FUCKING ANGELES. Only 9 milion people here, Jesus.

More
08 Oct 2009 20:12 #44257 by Stephen Avery
I've played several games now and I've got to say that I'm really liking it. It takes alot of the drudgery out of minis and keeps a lot of the things I like, special powers, mass carnage, cool units.

As for retailing, the nearest I can figure is that its going to be a November release and your best best is online retailers. I'll pick some stuff up from Coolstuffinc.com

www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults....orm_search_number=25

So far I haven't been too successful in generating interest here. The crowds I hang with are not really mini gamers so I may need to expand my horizons to find people who will play. (that and the fact that we have very very few game stores in Atlanta.)

I'd like to hear your thougths on the game. So far I'm extremely pleased with it. One facet of the gameplay that i've just begun exploring is the creation of your own unit cards. On the Arcane Legions website, you can combine powers and ablities in wierd ways to make some very specialized units. Then you submit it and it goes into a public database and print out the ones you like.

Steve"Legionare"Avery

More
08 Oct 2009 20:43 #44259 by jhuntin1
One of the crowds that I'm taking advantage of at my FLGS is the historical minis players. They're able to look past some of the mythological aspects of the game for the chance to play Romans vs. Egyptians, for example.

What I've really liked about this game is that it's Warhammer Fantasy with less variety but at a fraction of the cost or time necessary to invest.

More
08 Oct 2009 21:26 #44264 by MattFantastic
jeb wrote:

Stop talking about Arkham Minis and start chatting about this thing again. Tycho at Penny Arcade is entranced .

Haha, that post got me all fired up about being interested in it again too.

More
08 Oct 2009 21:27 #44265 by jeb
jhuntin1 wrote:

One of the crowds that I'm taking advantage of at my FLGS is the historical minis players. They're able to look past some of the mythological aspects of the game for the chance to play Romans vs. Egyptians, for example.

What I've really liked about this game is that it's Warhammer Fantasy with less variety but at a fraction of the cost or time necessary to invest.

jhuntin1's on the money here. Everything I have read says the game plays tight, looks good enough, and is cheap as hell compared to Warhammer Fantasy. There is a sweet spot to hit here that a couple of companies have missed. Fantasy dudes, on terrain, with cool combat, not by GW.

More
09 Oct 2009 08:18 #44278 by Stephen Avery
The formations thing is brilliant. You map out spots on your unit sheet that give you attacking dice defensive dice, movement and special powers. The placement of the guys determines which dice you using. It was fun to see my guys switch from a loose pack (movement) to a spearhead (attacking) then fall back into a tight cluster (defence) for defence. They are all formations I've used before in other minis games but your placement directly translates into what dice/powers you'll get to use. It also gives you great flexiblity to what kind of tactics you may want to use. I had a unit all geared up for maximum mobility and pushed them to move halfway across the board to take a heavy unit from behind. It took half of my commands but was cool as hell to surprise my foe like that.

Steve"Legionare"Avery

More
09 Oct 2009 08:18 #44279 by Stephen Avery
The formations thing is brilliant. You map out spots on your unit sheet that give you attacking dice defensive dice, movement and special powers. The placement of the guys determines which dice you using. It was fun to see my guys switch from a loose pack (movement) to a spearhead (attacking) then fall back into a tight cluster (defence) for defence. They are all formations I've used before in other minis games but your placement directly translates into what dice/powers you'll get to use. It also gives you great flexiblity to what kind of tactics you may want to use. I had a unit all geared up for maximum mobility and pushed them to move halfway across the board to take a heavy unit from behind. It took half of my commands but was cool as hell to surprise my foe like that.

Steve"Legionare"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds