October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Bloodbowl & FUMBBL

More
29 Feb 2008 01:27 #3616 by Dogmatix
Bloodbowl & FUMBBL was created by Dogmatix
I originally posted this as a comment at the end of the "One Game" article. I then realized 2 things nearly simultaneously: (1) that there were forums here where the topic would be more appropriate and might actually get some responses; and (2) I was an idiot for forgetting that there were forums here where the post would be more appropriate and might get some responses. So, without further ado...

I stumbled on to FUMBBL while trying to figure out if BloodBowl was still in print (and, whattaya know, unlike every other GW title I wanted to spend my money on, it was).

After months of dicking around [and tracking down and actually buying a BB set from a source other than directly from GW so that I could at least touch the components and see what it's all about], I've just started to go through the motions of putting a team together and joining that online league. They appear to welcome newbs, which is so often not the case in anything online.

Out of curiosity, how many F:ATers [F:ATties?] have a team in FUMBBL? Do we have any folks here who might be willing talk [perhaps via Skype or something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo] some newbs through some starter online games [while padding their own league stats; shameless pandering on my part] and maybe put together a small tourney [report results to FUMBBL as if they were regular games but track results here on a bracket. Winner to get a Barnes-autographed unplayably scratched DVD of 24 Hour Party People or something equally useless but trashy? I've got a host of items I'd be happy to contribute].

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2008 16:17 #3648 by Michael Barnes
Winner to get a Barnes-autographed unplayably scratched DVD of 24 Hour Party People or something equally useless but trashy?

Hey, it was better than CONTROL.

I might look into this...I haven't played BB in years, but I wouldn't mind fielding a vampire team for the hell of it.

More
29 Feb 2008 17:00 - 29 Feb 2008 19:46 #3652 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Bloodbowl & FUMBBL
The "no set schedule" and "academy league" elements of it are big draws for me. A chance to learn the game without running headlong into the hardcore min-max types right out of the box and something that works around my goofy-ass schedule (or waxing and waning desires) are both huge plusses. But, I figured this crowd might have some BB players in that league who might be up to corrupting a newb.

[Was CONTROL that bad? I actually liked 24HrPP at a number of levels, but, nothing about Factory could ever achieve High Art[tm] status. As I think of it, other potential trash culture items available for prize-winners could include a "The Art of Robt. Williams" coffee table book, an issue or two of Bizarre ["the world's only Tits & Corpses magazine!"] or perhaps a Kozik poster or two I have dupes of [maybe a Morphine "Praise Cthulu!" poster].

edit: ugly grammar...
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 19:46 by Dogmatix.

More
29 Feb 2008 17:23 #3654 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Bloodbowl & FUMBBL
I have several teams. There is an Academy Division where plays are not recorded.

But I have no skype, so I won't be of any help, sorry.

More
29 Feb 2008 18:25 #3659 by Druen Kree
Replied by Druen Kree on topic Re:Bloodbowl & FUMBBL
Whys Control so bad? I am a big Joy Division fan so I was looking forword to seeing this .Oh and thanks for bringing up 24 hour party people ,It reminded me that I should get around to buying it.

I play on fumbbl alot lately ( about 2 games a day) and a Fortress ameritrash league would be cool.I think some one else brought this up in a another thread.
I set up my games thru there internal gamefinder and IRC and my coaches name is druenkree.

More
29 Feb 2008 23:37 #3666 by Michael Barnes
Joy Division is probably my all-time favorite band. CONTROL really, really dropped the ball (staying slightly on topic here) by changing the established facts of the suicide for dramatic effect for one thing, but for another it completely fumbled (heh heh) by turning the Ian Curtis story into a regular old rock biopic. Seriously, all the rock biopic tropes are there- the prescient producers nodding at each other while they record what they know is going to be a Great Record, the abandoned family at home while pop is on tour, and so on. Three really great things about it though- the scenes where they play are electrifying. It looks and sounds like it probably really did. The style, very British "kitchen sink" is well done. And there is one scene that is absolutely 100% flooring if you're a JD fan at all because it perfectly encapsulates "Love Will Tear Us Apart" visually.

It's not terrible...just disappointing that it's so conventional.

More
01 Mar 2008 01:18 #3667 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Bloodbowl & FUMBBL
Yes, the idea of a Fortress: Ameritrash FUMBBL league has been brought up in another thread. Malloc actually sent me a PM today asking me to let him know the details if I set anything up about this.

I've played BB on fumbbl quite a bit. It was like two years ago, so I don't really remember how it all works. I mainly just played my two buddies in the 'unranked' division. But there is a 'league' division which is what it says is if you want to set up your own private league or something. But I'm still not all that sure how that works.

Anyone else know how to set that up? If not, we could just keep a thread on here going of records, but it's so convenient to let fumbbl do that. The site is really great about keeping stats for you! I've never been in a league, it's never been more than me and two buddies playing. So I'm not really sure how league play is supposed to work. Do you play whomever you want? Are matches assigned each week? Do you play everybody once each week?

More
01 Mar 2008 02:33 #3670 by Druen Kree
Try this link out for help starting a group...

http://fumbbl.com/help:What+are+Groups+and+Tournaments%3F

More
01 Mar 2008 11:56 #3676 by metalface13
Thanks man! Looks like in order to start a group you have to make in invite to that fumbbl user.

So start posting your fumbbl coach name!

Mine (shocking) is metalface13

More
01 Mar 2008 11:59 #3677 by metalface13
Ok I created a group. It's called Fortress:Ameritrash but it's set to private so you gotta give your coach names in order for an invite.

More
01 Mar 2008 12:28 #3680 by Druen Kree
Mine is druenkree

More
03 Mar 2008 09:22 #3729 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re:Bloodbowl & FUMBBL
mine = malloc

More
03 Mar 2008 20:08 - 03 Mar 2008 20:09 #3758 by metalface13
Keep posting them coach names. But I guess it's teams that are invited to the group, not coaches.

So we'd better come up with the rules for our league. I propose we only allow rookie teams (teams that have not yet played any games), they must be in the 'League' division. No stunty or experimental teams. So just the normal ones (Skaven, humans, choas dwarves, etc). Do you want to place any restrictions on a limit of kinds of teams? Like only 2 of each race or something? Or not.

Once your team has been created notify of the team name and I'll invite it to the group.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2008 20:09 by metalface13.

More
04 Mar 2008 12:05 #3779 by Druen Kree
there should be a minimum fan factor rule....like nothing lower then 6 or 7.

More
06 Mar 2008 23:17 #3886 by metalface13
I guess the momentum for this died before it got started?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds