October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

The mini games people are playing

More
29 Apr 2008 13:07 #5494 by VonTush
So what are they?

It seems like the mini section is pretty slow over here and I was wondering if anyone around plays mini games on a regular basis. I started in mini gaming many moons and many dollars ago and have tinkered around with more than I should have.

The games I try to play on a regular basis are:
Warmaster; Man o War; Flames of War; Space Marine/Titan Legions; BattleTech; Wargods of Eygptus

Games which I've messed around with and doubt will hit the table on a consistant basis are:
Warmachine/Hoards; 40k; Warhammer Fantasy; Blood Bowl; Necromunda; Battlefleet Gothic; Mighty Armies; Infinity

For me, I find everything that I want out of gaming in good miniature games. Yes they do have their downfalls, but no boardgame has left me feeling as satasfied and wanting more afterwards than a good miniature game.

There are games that I remember quite vividly from a decade ago that are part of my gaming history and stories...What was happening when I blasted a guass rifle round through the cockpit of my opponent's mech on the first turn of a 1vs1 match (still my shortest game ever where the table setup and preperation took longer than the game); I'll always remember when my 1st Ed 40k Eldar Jetbike army had my opponent's army descimated by the middle of the second turn (like all but a half dozen guys dead); A six hour long back and forth tug-of-war between my Tyranids and my friend's Chaos in a Space Marine/Titan Legions game in his garage on a wonderful Saturday afternoon - and I'll never forget the fifteen mins after the game or silence where we stood on his deck, drinking a beer, smoking a cig and just unwinding after the struggle.

To this day there is not one board game that I've played where the specifics stick out so well for me. Yes I do have fun with board games but for me nothing captures the excitement and narrative as well as miniature games.

So if you do play miniature games what do you play? And if you don't I'm wondering what aspects of the mini genre keep you away?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2008 13:16 #5495 by Ken B.
I only play "light" miniatures games, and only those with grids. The whole ruler thing just ain't my bag...I've heard people arguing over fractions of inches in movement and/or range and arguing those things just ain't my cup of tea.

Then there's the matter of "I can't paint worth shit."

So all I've really played are the prepainted offerings such as Star Wars Miniatures, Heroclix, and a tiny handful of others. I like SWM but it could use a little more meat on its bones.

More
29 Apr 2008 13:34 #5499 by VonTush
Ken B. wrote:

I only play "light" miniatures games, and only those with grids. The whole ruler thing just ain't my bag...I've heard people arguing over fractions of inches in movement and/or range and arguing those things just ain't my cup of tea.

I hear you here...That's actually one reason why I've sworn off playing against people I don't know. I've been caught too many times with people like that when doing a pickup game at the store. I don't know what it is about miniature games that brings out the unreasonable side of people. Like many games though playing with people you know really brings out the best in the games. That way you're able to learn eachother's tollarances and what is reasonable. For example with my group something about a half inch is no big deal...As long as what your proposing looks reasonable we'll let it pass just to keep the game moving.

More
29 Apr 2008 14:23 #5506 by Ken B.
Yeah man, I'm not dissing minis games at all, just stating how they haven't historically been a great fit for me.

I mean, you can't fault people for arguing over inches when the game's rules are all about range and amount of movement.

When I say "light", I always assumed that minis players didn't consider stuff like SWM to be "real" minis games.

More
29 Apr 2008 14:59 #5510 by Druen Kree
Blood Bowl,Blood Bowl And then Blood Bowl!!

I try to get a game in once a week.
As for the other GW games ...Ive hung up my generals hat for about 2 years now..just dont have the time to paint whole armies anymore.

More
30 Apr 2008 01:17 #5548 by metalface13
Ah mini games. 40K, Magic and Axis and Allies were my first forays into gaming after playing Dungeons and Dragons with my brothers when I was like 7.

I played 40K, bought Epic but never played it, Necromunda, Gorkamorka and Blood Bowl. Necromunda and Blood Bowl were my favorites because of the small scale and RPG elements of gang/team progression. My buddy and I just didn't have enough money to get into 40K or the skill to make terrain.

I've been playing a little Dawn of War on PC this weekend and it's making me want to get into 40K again. My wife would never let me get into it though. That's the limit on my geekhood. She can't stand the hordes of unshowered, stinky 40K players that are always in the local game stores.

But I also have other turn offs, they are:
* Too expensive
* I can't paint or do the other hobby stuff
* I can't stand the bickering over inches and cover. When my best friend and I played GW games in high school it always got ugly.

But on the other hand the hobby has come a long way in resolving some of my issues:
* Prepainted minis like in Confrontation, AT-43 and CMGs are appealing
* The grid based CMGs are also attractive but the collectibility thing is a turn off
* Pre-made terrain and downloadable cut and craft terrain are pretty cool

So every once in a while I get tempted into buying a minis game. First it was Warmachine because I liked the small, squad sized battles. Then it was Star Wars Miniatures but my wife said no because I had gotten the Star Wars Miniatures Spaceship Battles and never played it. Then it was Horror Clix: AVP but again got vetoed because of the Star Wars spaceships. Now my hunger is for 40K but I'm sure it'll subside soon enough. I just wish GW would do all prepainted plastic stuff like AT-43 but do it cheaper. If it was like $10 to buy a squad of 10 miniatures, I'd probably be all over it. But paying $50, man that's expensive.

More
30 Apr 2008 01:37 - 30 Apr 2008 02:00 #5551 by Lagduf
I just got in to 40K. I'm playing Orks. I have around a 500 point force (with appropriate upgrades) I'm working on at the moment.

I have 1 Trukk.
22 Boyz
3 Bikez
1 Warboss

So far the Trukk is basically done, the Bikez are basically done, and everything else is primed and ready to paint.

The Trukk Boyz are red sunz, and the other boyz are Blood Axes.

Not sure what kind of Army I wanted to field at the moment, but I have a feeling it will mostly be an army full of Boyz mobs. Maybe 2 trukks for options (with 12 boyz each). We'll see when we get to that point.

I enjoy the modelling and terrain building aspect, and the rulest isn't too bad either. I'm not a gifted painter in the least, but I agree with GW when they say that if you can hold a pencil you can paint a mini.

It's prohibitively expensive for many, especially those more interested in the gaming side than the hobby side. I find the money to be time well spent since I get to paint the models and put them together.

GW's sprues are pretty nice, since you have so many options you can put on vehicles and infantry that you invariably have a lot of extra bitz. From a hobby standpoint this is awesome.

I started reading white dwarf again.

I tried out and bought in to GW's LotR SBG but ultimately I found it to be a waste of time. The ruleset is too simple for my tastes.

EDIT: I am a little irritated that the 40K 5th Ed is coming out so soon after I got in to 4th ed (i've actually had the 4th ed rulebook for about 2 years though) but my understanding of this rulebook is that it wont necessarily invalidate whole armies, but it will weaken/strengthen some units. Either way I don't care because I wont need to buy a new Codex for Orks.

The new starter, if the rumors are true is poised to be a truly amazing deal for 60 dollars and will start new playes off with a nice army of SPACE MARINS and ORKS. Truly some epic stuff right there and I can't wait.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2008 02:00 by Lagduf.

More
30 Apr 2008 01:45 - 30 Apr 2008 01:46 #5552 by Lagduf

metalface13 wrote: Then it was Star Wars Miniatures but my wife said no because I had gotten the Star Wars Miniatures Spaceship Battles and never played it. Then it was Horror Clix: AVP but again got vetoed because of the Star Wars spaceships. Now my hunger is for 40K but I'm sure it'll subside soon enough. I just wish GW would do all prepainted plastic stuff like AT-43 but do it cheaper. If it was like $10 to buy a squad of 10 miniatures, I'd probably be all over it. But paying $50, man that's expensive.

Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles was probably the biggest gaming let down EVER for me.

What an absolute joke, garbage game that is.

Horrible, boring ruleset, that only has ONE thing going for it: Absolutely beautiful prepainted miniatures.

I finally found the Starship game I wanted in Federation Commander. Once I get some more of the expansions for it that I want, i'm getting the Starline minis (though i'll still play on the hex grid). So far I have both Border Boxes and Romulan Attack. I need Klingon Attack next to round out the Klingon fleet. Then i'll probabloy pick up a few select booster packs.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2008 01:46 by Lagduf.

More
30 Apr 2008 05:26 #5554 by Citadel
Recently, I have been playing Warmachine and Hordes a fair bit. Also, Blood Bowl, Necromunda (which I don't like that much, the campaign rules suck) and Confrontation. I have been wanting to start playing some of the other GW games again: Epic, 40K and Battlefleet Gothic are the ones I have my eye on.

More
30 Apr 2008 13:18 #5587 by VonTush
I'm actually really excited to see what is coming down in terms of pre-painted miniatures. What Rackham has been doing with AT-43 and Confrontation looks amazing.

Up until this point I've always seen the collectable/pre-painted miniatures an not a "real" miniature game, but those lines are really starting to blur for me. Rackham seems like they want to take all the work out of miniature gaming (which I'm all in favor of) by painting models and providing scenery. I just hope they pull out of bankrupt protection to continue what could be a revolution in miniature gaming.

I do find it funny that the comment I hear the most is: Don't have time/talent to paint". I'm chucking because I'd say for every painted model I have, there are twenty sitting naked.

More
30 Apr 2008 13:24 #5588 by VonTush
To the people playing CMG's...which ones are good?

The market for those have exploded and the collectable aspect is a bit of a turn off for me, but I could see myself getting into one.

Especially Mosterpocolips (or however its spelled); The Mutant Chronicals also looks really cool. I've heard good things about A&A and Dreamblade. The Star Wars ones...well its Star Wars so of course it appeals to me!

If you were to recommend one, what would it be?

More
30 Apr 2008 21:28 #5610 by metalface13
Well I don't think you NEED to paint your minis in order to play. I know some leagues and tournaments require it but for casual play it's OK. But that's not the main thing that keeps me out of minis gaming. The real thing is cost. For every unit you buy you could be potentially be buying a video game or a board game.

More
01 May 2008 04:39 #5624 by Citadel
I've only painted about 10% of my miniatures. Even people I know who are really into painting often play with unpainted stuff. It is really a time and inclination thing. Looking at the average prepainted mini, which are generally just rushed on blocks of colour, I can't believe people think they can't paint that well. I know I've seen people not undercoating and using the wrong kinds of paint but its not that hard.

More
01 May 2008 10:19 #5640 by VonTush
The best tip I can give for painting minis is to go with "Night-Camo". Undercoat black and paint the eyes!

The cost is a killer...I agree with that. I think I could have fed a small country in Africa for a decade with the amount of money I've pissed away on minis...Or Pewter Pals as my family liked to call them.

At one point they actually weren't too expensive to play. There was a time when the Carnifex for the Tyranids first came out and it retailed for $10 and people thought that was high. How it's gone to five times that amount I'm really not sure.

More
01 May 2008 10:45 #5645 by jur
The answer to expensive minis and painting is smaller minis. Get into 6mm and life is easy.
Have a look at the Baccus 6mm painting guide . Quick and not too high a standard to reach, as I have experienced.

Better still: do WWII and modern and stay away from the camouflage patterns. Just a black ground coating, then a layer in the basic colour, then drybrushing the highlight, finish with varnish and Bob's your uncle.

I was hoping AT-43 would do well for the untalented, but apparently Rackham has folded.

And also stay away from GW minis, they're dead expensive. There lots of cheaper alternatives.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds