October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon

More
20 Apr 2012 02:37 #123377 by Shellhead

iguanaDitty wrote: back to the actual topic...this sounds like something i would have thought was really cool when i was a kid. not to bag on it. but now it just sounds basically impossible to play.

I agree. Based on that brief description, Serpent's Tongue sounds like it will fall somewhere between unplayable and unenjoyable, despite the interesting and original concepts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2012 05:43 #123380 by SaMoKo
Is it common on kickstarter to pledge a higher amount for future expansions that might never exist? Because holy shit is that sleazy.

Gibberish speaking gimmick aside, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the card game part of all this. They also seem to pitch the game as a LCG rather than the CCG it is.

If legit, the game sounds like it could be good, even though I'd ignore the chanting stuff. But there are a lot of signs that say wait for retail release here.

More
20 Apr 2012 07:17 #123382 by TheDukester

Bridger wrote: Ah, I take it that here at FAT it's common place to scowl on the concept of kickstarter then? Might I ask why?

It's all about gamer cred, acting "professional," and telling other people how they can spend their money.

More
20 Apr 2012 11:03 #123383 by wolvendancer

TheDukester wrote: It's all about gamer cred, acting "professional," and telling other people how they can spend their money.

Also, suavely stating that when a game is released 'professionally' (which never would have happened outside of Kickstarter) that you'll take a look, and damning Kickstarter for the fact you purchased a bad game, which has obviously never happened in a normal retail setting for anyone. See also: 'those one guys had a bad business model!' and the complete misunderstanding of the word 'vaporware'.

Just took notice of Serpent's Tongue a few days ago. I'm keeping an eye out and waiting for more info, but it looks promising.

More
20 Apr 2012 12:36 #123388 by Bridger

SaMoKo wrote: Gibberish speaking gimmick aside, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the card game part of all this. They also seem to pitch the game as a LCG rather than the CCG it is.

If legit, the game sounds like it could be good, even though I'd ignore the chanting stuff. But there are a lot of signs that say wait for retail release here.

Yeah, It's definitely a CCG and not an LCG. I too, am waiting for them to release some info on how the cards actually interact (beyond the attack vs. defense example they've given) before I back it. I think they have mentioned that there are more videos in the works to explain the specifics, and they have been updating their website about once or twice every other day with new details.

Not sure why you'd ignore the main point of the game, which is the memorization. That's the attraction for me, but there does need to be something beisdes that for me to buy it. I'm also interested in learning more about their supposed 40 hour DMless campaign, and how they'll handle the meta-game elements they have been talking about.

More
20 Apr 2012 13:32 - 20 Apr 2012 13:35 #123394 by SuperflyPete

Space Ghost wrote:

Josh Look wrote: The worst game I've played in recent memory, possibly ever, was a Kickstarter.

Just sayin'.

Was it Alien Frontiers -- because I am inclined to agree then.

First Nate, now you're dead to me too?

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH F:AT!!??!?!?

And Sir Ghost, I would gladly take that copy of Alien Frontiers away from you. One of my greatest regrets is living by my own personal Bushido code and giving shit away.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2012 13:35 by SuperflyPete.

More
20 Apr 2012 16:23 - 21 Apr 2012 05:14 #123409 by mjl1783

Ah, I take it that here at FAT it's common place to scowl on the concept of kickstarter then? Might I ask why?

Because here at F:AT, it's commonplace for people who, for the moment, have run out of things to say about games to start bitching back and forth about games' business models.

You can recognize such posters by their liberal use of the words "leverage," "monetize," and and "revenue stream". When confronted with one of these people, do not, under any circumstances approach or otherwise engage them. They are corporate, capitalist automotons with no souls.

Be just as wary of anyone who displays inordinate levels of butthurt when jumping to Kickstarter's defense. These people only drink Vodka. Never water. They will sap and impurify all our precious bodily fluids.

Also, Serpent's Tongue looks pretty dumb.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2012 05:14 by mjl1783.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor, Ska_baron, DeletedUser, SuperflyPete, Dair, cdennett, Erik Twice

More
20 Apr 2012 20:08 - 21 Apr 2012 01:10 #123430 by wolvendancer

mjl1783 wrote: Be just as wary of anyone who displays inordinate levels of butthurt when jumping to Kickstarter's defense. These people only drink Vodka. Never water. They will sap and impurify all our precious bodily fluids.

I was going to object to this, until I realized the number of times I've been completely wasted on cheap vodka while traveling via boat between Osaka and Shanghai (1) outnumbers of the times I've uttered the phrase 'We have to synergize our backwards overflow.' (0). So, you know, fair point.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2012 01:10 by wolvendancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, DeletedUser, Josh Look, Fallen

More
20 Apr 2012 23:54 #123440 by Mr Skeletor
10/10 for the concept, which is pretty brilliant. I doubt that the fantastic concept can actually be translated into a good game, and the end result will most likely be a clusterfuck, but if they do this will be worth owning.

More
21 Apr 2012 17:09 #123482 by Notahandle
I've been keeping an eye on it for a while; it's a nice concept but the focus is on the chrome, I want to know more about the game. (Plus, memorisation puts me off, I'm awaiting something that'll counter that.)

VonTush wrote:
" Because it will first bring about the downfall of the boardgame hobby, followed by commerce in general and eventually the world."
I thought that was the Will Wheaton Tabletop series. Time for 'Trashdome: End of the World - Kickstarter vs Wheaton?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds