October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

LCGs: the plusses and minuses

More
10 Jan 2013 22:52 #141294 by metalface13
I don't see why people have a problem with ketchup. It goes with everything!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 02:11 #141304 by iguanaDitty
The lack of limited is the biggest deal to me. I love Magic booster draft; it's the only way I'm interested in playing any more. The idea of building a cube for the LCG is interesting but in these games with completely asymmetric sides...do you draft twice?
Anyone draft the old Decipher Star Wars game? Or Netrunner? How does that work?

More
11 Jan 2013 02:39 #141306 by dragonstout
Netrunner draft:

www.arasaka.de/content/articles/trq/trq21/article3.html

And somewhere here there's a very detailed description of an official Star Wars CCG cube draft, but I'm too lazy to find it now:

www.starwarsccg.org/index.php

In both cases, the answer is "not very elegantly".
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
11 Jan 2013 14:54 #141327 by wadenels
We (the wife and I) started to get into two LCGs: Lord of the Rings and Warhammer Invasion.

I really liked Warhammer Invasion and bought the first half-dozen packs for it. My wife wasn't as wild about it. I spent some time building decks, but other than that we basically treated it like a board game. My interest in it didn't overcome her lack of interest, and there were very few people around to play the game with, so it got sold off.

She initially really like Lord of the Rings, and we bought the first three packs for it. I wasn't wild about the way the mechanics in it worked; it didn't feel very thematic to me. I did like building decks though out of my limited pool of cards, but other than that we basically treated it like a board game. Her interest in it waned, mine stayed relatively low, and we sold it off.

The problem in both cases was a lack of interest, not just by us two but by gamers in our area in general. There wasn't enough interest to keep us buying packs and building decks, and the games don't stand up as standalone board games against the board games we already have. If I had a lot of people playing Warhammer Invasion and regular events to go with it, I'd still be playing it. But that isn't the case.

I'm not particularly interested in Magic, but the sheer number of people I see showing up for those Friday Night Magic style events makes me Magic-curious. There's a social aspect of the CCG model combined with game store (and company) support that doesn't seem to exist with LCGs. Along with that here seems to be a lack of focus on FFG's behalf. We have a little monthly local gaming con and at the last one there was a dude with Warhammer Invasion, a dude with Android Netrunner, and a dude or two with AGoT LCG. Other than a teaching game of Netrunner I didn't see any of them get played. If several people had shown up with the same LCG, with their own decks and such, the con would have seen some heavy LCG play. People would have noticed, and interest would have been generated. That didn't happen.

The last time I was at FFGEC I saw a guy with a ton of AGoT LCG stuff watching two people play the new Star Wars LCG. AGoT guy was the odd man out; he came looking for opponents and found none. Meanwhile there was a big game of TI3 and about a dozen people were playing 40k on various tables. It's hard for me to get real excited about the LCG model when on a busy day at the FFGEC there are LCG players who can't find opponents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
11 Jan 2013 18:24 - 11 Jan 2013 18:24 #141346 by Jexik
Yeah... the funny thing about the LCG model is that it takes away the one thing that makes the game especially profitable to retailers, and in many cases, pretty fun for the players. I still play limited whenever a new set comes out. I enjoy drafting. I also enjoy 7 Wonders for the same reason, but dislike the fact that you don't get to play a 'real game' afterwards, and instead just do some algebra to see who wins.

The only 2 games that anyone around here host regular events for are Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. Pokémon still seem to sell, but most don't actually play. I think for anyone to break into the CCG market, they'd need to hit a different demographic group, like girls. Vampire should be re-themed as a Twilight game. I could see a bronies game working too - good mix of little girls who would buy the game for pretty pictures, and nerds who'd pay top dollar for some holographic derpy that gives +1 to winning.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 18:24 by Jexik.

More
11 Jan 2013 19:15 #141349 by SuperflyPete
My buddy likes Lord of the Rings and I played it twice. I warmed up to the idea the second game but, as some of you know, I just don't really get off on card games. Plastic = fun. I blame GI Joe.

Now, the one I really would like to look at sometime is Call of Cthulhu. I have played the RPG, I've played video games, I've played miniature skirmish games, but I've never tried that one. Anyone know what it brings to the table?

More
11 Jan 2013 19:28 #141351 by Space Ghost
Do you have anything you want to trade for Call of Cthulhu? -- I have several hundred cards and 7 (differently themed) decks or so I could send. The decks have been honed down and work quite well and are pretty asymmetric (draw decks, versus power decks, search decks, etc.).

More
12 Jan 2013 19:38 #141424 by Bull Nakano
I really do think FFG needs to figure out organised play in some manner. Without organised play you lack diversity of opponents, which is what CCG's are built upon. A way to do this would be to rip off the old Magic Arena model. Arena was a program that encouraged casual play, you show up to a store, play Magic for a few hours against a number of different opponents, and received a participatory promo card.

We KNOW people will turn out to stores to get exclusives, and making the exclusive attainable through non-spike play is a great idea to keep the game whatever anyone wants it to be. If I want to show up with some jank deck and run into someone who is playing some list that's tournament proven, so be it, we both get what we want out of the game (opponents, to play the decks we want, and the promos).

This could even be applied to X-wing, you could provide upgrades or pilot promos. The pre-released ship promos would pretty much have to be competitive because you can't just hand out ships, duh.

This would be good for stores if they could do these once or twice a month as it'd keep the community buying the product to stay current, and you know, get a dozen gamers hanging around for an afternoon and someone's going to impulsively buy something.

Me, I would just like opponents.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds