October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Magic and the "dominion" problem

More
19 Aug 2013 15:34 - 19 Aug 2013 15:36 #158899 by Black Barney
there are tons of great programs and apps out there that you can use for that type of stuff. I don't know which to recommend since I don't bother to do this (being a casual player and all)

btw, I don't know if I should be happy or fearful to see you falling down Alice's hole as hard as you seem to be chasing the white rabbit. We've all been there and it's an exciting time but MAN do I want that money back
Last edit: 19 Aug 2013 15:36 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2013 15:51 #158900 by bomber
yeah, I really hope I can avoid that side of it!

More
19 Aug 2013 16:38 #158906 by dragonstout
I advise against checklists. Checklists encourage completism.

If you have so many cards that you're having trouble organizing them, that's a sign that you have too many cards! :-) Go slooooooooooooow, man.

That rulebook that I linked to before has a glossary in the back with explanations for all the frequently-used keywords:
media.wizards.com/images/magic/resources...GM14_Rulebook_LR.pdf

Also, stuff like this is why Duels of the Planeswalkers is the BEST way to learn the game; as you noticed, if you were just playing with a friend who also doesn't know the rules, it'd be easy to play incorrectly without anyone ever noticing (except that the white player would be REALLY annoyed by that Black Knight).
The following user(s) said Thank You: bioball

More
19 Aug 2013 17:53 #158916 by dragonstout
By the way, EVERYONE should try to make it out to this on September 7, at their local store:

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/events.aspx?x=...t/mcelebration-facts

Two free booster packs, for one! And it's absurdly low-key, since there are *no* stakes. I'm not a big fan of playing games in stores in general; I like to stick to my living room and my friends, but my wife and I both had a lot of fun the last time we did this.

More
19 Aug 2013 18:47 #158931 by Black Barney
Make sure to bring a clothes-pin for your nose tho

More
19 Aug 2013 20:39 #158944 by ThirstyMan

dragonstout wrote: By the way, EVERYONE should try to make it out to this on September 7, at their local store:

Two free booster packs, for one! And it's absurdly low-key, since there are *no* stakes. I'm not a big fan of playing games in stores in general; I like to stick to my living room and my friends, but my wife and I both had a lot of fun the last time we did this.

Assuming you live in America of course

More
19 Aug 2013 20:45 - 20 Aug 2013 04:39 #158946 by dragonstout

ThirstyMan wrote:

dragonstout wrote: By the way, EVERYONE should try to make it out to this on September 7, at their local store:

Assuming you live in America of course

The website says "worldwide", but I didn't research just how extensive that "worldwide" means. If you have a store nearby that does Magic stuff, I'd bet that they're participating in this in most countries.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2013 04:39 by dragonstout.

More
20 Aug 2013 04:19 #158983 by bomber
you guys are very cool, cheers!

More
21 Aug 2013 01:22 #159054 by Ancient_of_MuMu
If I was to buy a product from a store looking for enough cards for me and my daughter to mess about with at home, build a few decks, and play against each other, what would we need to get? basically a 2 player starter pack that is more than just 2 decks (plus includes rules).

(and don't offer to send one to me for cheap as I live in Australia, so shipping will probably kill that nice idea).

More
21 Aug 2013 01:36 #159057 by jeb
The 2p starter decks are nice because you do get that mild rules overview and usually a guided play example. I would then supplement with a pile of grab from the local scene. Anywhere people play MtG there are people like me that ha(d) tons of cards and wouldn't mind tossing a pile at anyone that was interested.

More
23 Aug 2013 04:36 #159256 by dragonstout

jeb wrote: The 2p starter decks are nice because you do get that mild rules overview and usually a guided play example. I would then supplement with a pile of grab from the local scene. Anywhere people play MtG there are people like me that ha(d) tons of cards and wouldn't mind tossing a pile at anyone that was interested.

Do 2-player starter decks still exist? I'd recommend buying a couple Magic 2014 intro packs, preferably with non-overlapping colors (each one has two colors). The intro pack comes with a preconstructed deck AND two booster packs, so you guys can do a little bit of deckbuilding (and trading, too!). If you want to stick with those same decks and continue deckbuilding, you can add booster packs or a Deckbuilder's Toolkit. If you want to shake it up a bit, you can buy more intro packs from Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, or Dragon's Maze that overlap with the colors you like, and after playing with those, mash them together and have tons of deckbuilding potential.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds