October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Netrunner cube? (old netrunner, not android)

More
09 Sep 2013 14:03 #160532 by DukeofChutney
I have around 500 (maybe 600, never counted em) netrunner cards (old netrunner, not the new ffg thing) and some of my magic friends are interested in playing a mini tournament of sorts so i figured some sort of cube might be fun.

I have never built a magic cube, but i understand the concept.

Is it possible to make a netrunner cube?

I don't have all the cards, so i can't just generate a bunch of starter decks and shuffle em or anything.

How do you handle the runner corp split? do you do two drafts so everyone has one of each, or do you split 50/50.

How does the corp manage having the right number of agendas for their deck? (deck sizes will probs be limited to 45).

I have a ton of different ice, so i don't see any balance problems there, and generally a good mix of corp stuff, even if i don't have that many rares but i am slightly short on runner engine cards (i have 3 jack and joes, a few search deck cards, and two copies of something like jack and joe but not quite as good, i forget what). Will this upset the balance of the decks?

Im considering doing the draft of each pack as grid, where you lay out 5x5 grid and pick columns or rows. This would limit someone building a really great deck.

school me, oh CCG masters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2013 16:29 #160551 by MattFantastic
If you can draft decent enough decks you have enough cards to find some old deck lists online and put together prebuilt decks. I can't imagine trying to draft NR without having played at least a lot. It doesn't really even make any sense until you've played a good bit.

Have you thought about proxies? I've played with a bunch of proxy cubes and it's just as fun, just takes a bit of work to print, cut and sleeve but it's really not much.

More
09 Sep 2013 17:25 #160560 by dragonstout
Since Netrunner was really fantastic as a sealed-deck game, what I would do is I would use your Netrunner Cube to build SEALED DECKS, instead of drafting. Drafting in Netrunner is messed up in several ways; it's doable, and certainly people are trying with Android Netrunner, but it's not natural, especially due to the two-faction thing. I mean, the two faction thing along makes drafting take twice as long because you really should do two drafts. It seems to me like there are some degenerate strategies in drafting Netrunner based on the ice/icebreaker system as well.

So: stick to sealed deck. My problem HERE is that pure random (using the rarity scheme, of course) sealed decks run a big risk, once again thanks to the icebreaker system, of being near-unplayable. The original print runs were kind of magical and no one's totally figured them out. Just make sure, after distributing the cards, that everyone has enough icebreakers of the right kinds.

This is all why ACTUAL sealed-deck lists for old Netrunner are GOLDEN.

Or yeah, like Loter said, even better, make a proxied MTG Cube :-)

More
09 Sep 2013 17:43 #160561 by Shellhead
My old school Netrunner cube consists of five starter decks from the original game. Each box contains two playable decks, one for each side. I also have a booster box worth of cards from the base set, but haven't gotten around into creating any decks with them.

More
09 Sep 2013 18:26 #160565 by dragonstout

Shellhead wrote: My old school Netrunner cube consists of five starter decks from the original game. Each box contains two playable decks, one for each side. I also have a booster box worth of cards from the base set, but haven't gotten around into creating any decks with them.

This is basically what I've got too, 8 starter decks and 8 booster packs, with contents written down so that they can be separated and redistributed. That's not a Cube, though; a Cube allows you to infinitely generate fake sealed product.

More
09 Sep 2013 20:19 #160570 by Erik Twice
You can check the card's rarities on Netrunner Online (The website). Apparently the original game had a very interesting rarity set consisting of Vital, Common, Uncommon and Rare and I've been quite impresed at how rarity was chosen for the cards.

More
09 Sep 2013 21:17 #160573 by dragonstout

Erik Twice wrote: You can check the card's rarities on Netrunner Online (The website). Apparently the original game had a very interesting rarity set consisting of Vital, Common, Uncommon and Rare and I've been quite impresed at how rarity was chosen for the cards.

Yeah, and I don't think print run is too big a deal for the C/U/R, it's really just for the vitals that they seem to have had some magic print run that guaranteed a good number of each type of icebreaker, tag protection, etc.

More
10 Sep 2013 21:31 #160640 by Erik Twice
I was bored in class and I think we can bring Netrunner sealed back with ease. I wrote down some notes and all I'm missing is:

How many boosters was Netrunner sealed played with? And why did people use starters other than they being very cheap? Even then, how many cards do you had to choose from?

More
10 Sep 2013 22:05 #160642 by dragonstout

Erik Twice wrote: How many boosters was Netrunner sealed played with? And why did people use starters other than they being very cheap? Even then, how many cards do you had to choose from?

- How many boosters: this varies a LOT. From 0 to 4. I've talked to the old Netrunner sealed world champion or whatever (Frisco del Rosario), and he was in favor of 0 and feels very strongly about it; a lot of other people are in favor of 4 and feel very strongly about it. Most internal Wizards sealed-deck tournaments used 1 booster. I find that 4 is way too many: decks actually become more homogenous, instead of varied. This is a general concern with sealed deck size in all CCGs, actually: as you add packs, your deckbuilding options increase, but everyone's pool of common cards starts converging to being roughly the same, so you're dependent on the rares and uncommons to guide the differences between decks. Since Netrunner's rares are so rarely useful in limited, and since there are also no "factions" in Netrunner that also force deck variety (you can just play all your best cards, as opposed to Magic where you can only play around two-fifths of your best cards), you end up with more and more similar decks.

I use 1 myself, in part because I find Netrunner deckbuilding extremely boring.

- why use starters instead of boosters: first of all, the starters were playable *without alteration*. For real! So why mess with perfection in distribution? Combining a bunch of boosters instead of a starter and you run into a bunch of problems: first of all, no balance between rares: your Corp might have 8 rares and your Runner only 4! This extends even more importantly to card numbers in general: packs had an odd number of cards, and so you'd get an uneven number of Corp vs. Runner cards. You just end up with much fewer of the common & vital cards you need if you use boosters vs. if you use a starter deck. Also, print runs! The print runs were such that the Runner starter was always guaranteed an ICEbreaker of each of the three types; I wouldn't be surprised if the common print runs also had some kind of rough guarantee of a variety of costs and types for ICE and agenda as well. If you use boosters, you lose the advantage of print runs.

Plus, it's just how sealed deck was done, in Magic too, up until 2009 when Wizards discontinued starter decks (at that point renamed to "tournament packs"). Frankly, the reasons for Magic's switch from "starter deck + two boosters" to "6 boosters" is less likely to be because the end result is better for gameplay, but for two primary reasons: 1) no one bought tournament packs except at sealed-deck tournaments, so why spend all that money making a different product if what people really want is booster packs? 2) 2 and 3 both divide evenly into 6, and there are three sets in a Magic block: that way, for sets A, B, and C, you can have the first format be AAAAAA, the second format be AAABBB, and the third format be AABBCC; this way, players see more of the new sets vs. before when it was just a single booster of the new set.

- how many cards you had to choose from: well, you built a 45-card deck, and sealed decks had 60 cards. So depending on how many booster you used, you whittled to 45 from between 60 and 90 cards.

More
11 Sep 2013 00:51 #160649 by DukeofChutney
some interesting stuff in this thread. Sealed is within my capabilities. It occurred to me, that in order to a draft you would have to draft agendas and probably ice breakers separately from other cards as players need to guarantee their agenda point values and need at least the option to draft each type of ice breaker.

More
11 Sep 2013 01:41 #160652 by dragonstout
Yeah, drafting old (or new!) Netrunner...Netrunner was never remotely designed with booster draft in mind. MAGIC was never remotely designed with booster draft in mind. At some point people figured out how to do a Magic booster draft, just like people are figuring out how to do a Netrunner draft...but holy mother of god, you do NOT want to booster draft any Magic set before Mirage. People did it! That's how booster drafting started! But it was godawful. The idea was good, but the cards just weren't right for it.

There are articles on it, though, if you search the old-school Netrunner internet. It was attempted back then, too. But yeah, with a bunch of arcane weird rules to make it work out.

Sealed deck!

More
11 Sep 2013 19:55 #160700 by dragonstout
A few more words on "how many boosters": I feel like the more boosters you add, the stronger the Runner gets relative to the Corp; the Runner is more starved for money-making cards and card-drawing cards than the Corp is starved for any cards in particular. This is another reason why I prefer 1-booster to 0-booster.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds