Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

MB
Michael Barnes
August 18, 2022
440 0

Godtear Beats the Odds - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
August 18, 2022
174 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 11, 2022
370 0
W
WadeMonnig
August 10, 2022
596 1
O
oliverkinne
August 09, 2022
670 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 04, 2022
547 0
O
oliverkinne
August 01, 2022
848 0

Scout Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
July 29, 2022
856 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 28, 2022
618 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 27, 2022
905 1
O
oliverkinne
July 26, 2022
1019 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 25, 2022
742 0

The Split - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
July 21, 2022
822 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

General Magic Thread

More
19 Sep 2013 15:55 #161345 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: General Magic Thread

dragonstout wrote: I, too, still have my mind stuck in the years of old; when I see all these MANY Theros cards of incredibly undercosted creatures with tons of abilities, my eyes go wide, but for Standard players today I don't know if they even register. I see Reaper of the Wilds and think "Ernham Djinn without a drawback and with three good abilities???", but I think it's something that would've been good 5 years ago, not today.


This is why I can't stand Magic today. Too many big, cheap creatures with tons of abilities. There are so many of them now, it just seems pointless. A 4/5 for 4 with three abilities? Who cares, in the next set there will be a 5/5 for 4 with five abilities. I'm planning on making a Danger Zone deck without any cards from after Apocalypse. Hopefully I'll be able to have fun playing this game again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 15:59 - 19 Sep 2013 16:00 #161347 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: General Magic Thread

Malygris wrote: This is why I can't stand Magic today. Too many big, cheap creatures with tons of abilities. There are so many of them now, it just seems pointless. A 4/5 for 4 with three abilities? Who cares, in the next set there will be a 5/5 for 4 with five abilities. I'm planning on making a Danger Zone deck without any cards from after Apocalypse. Hopefully I'll be able to have fun playing this game again.



Trust me, I'll take today's environment over the old "DERP COUNTERSPELL" and rampant, overpowered removal any day. ANY day.

In fact, I'd argue that creatures finally caught up to the insane power level of the spells of yesteryear. And I am *extremely* happy about that.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2013 16:00 by Ken B..
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 16:57 #161354 by dragonstout

Ken B. wrote: Trust me, I'll take today's environment over the old "DERP COUNTERSPELL" and rampant, overpowered removal any day. ANY day.

In fact, I'd argue that creatures finally caught up to the insane power level of the spells of yesteryear. And I am *extremely* happy about that.

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with this. I love the mostly spell-heavy Legacy, but it's nice to have creatures be the real focus in the current game, ESPECIALLY in ways that aren't enter-the-battlefield abilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 18:56 #161367 by Space Ghost
I don't like the over focus of creatures in the current environment -- especially as a way to deal damage. I find it a little more boring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 19:52 #161374 by dragonstout

Space Ghost wrote: I don't like the over focus of creatures in the current environment -- especially as a way to deal damage. I find it a little more boring.

I DO like when there are more combo-oriented decks available in current formats, because I definitely like there to always be non-creature ways to win, but of all the ways to deal damage, creatures *by their very nature* are the most interactive card type...and are therefore less boring!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2013 15:43 #161420 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: General Magic Thread

Ken B. wrote:

Malygris wrote: This is why I can't stand Magic today. Too many big, cheap creatures with tons of abilities. There are so many of them now, it just seems pointless. A 4/5 for 4 with three abilities? Who cares, in the next set there will be a 5/5 for 4 with five abilities. I'm planning on making a Danger Zone deck without any cards from after Apocalypse. Hopefully I'll be able to have fun playing this game again.



Trust me, I'll take today's environment over the old "DERP COUNTERSPELL" and rampant, overpowered removal any day. ANY day.

In fact, I'd argue that creatures finally caught up to the insane power level of the spells of yesteryear. And I am *extremely* happy about that.


In most of my games before I got sick of Magic, it was mostly just playing overpowered creatures and removing them. Whoever ran out of Swords To Plowshares or Paths To Exile first lost. Maybe Type 2 is different, I haven't played that in ten years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2013 16:13 #161427 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: General Magic Thread

Malygris wrote: In most of my games before I got sick of Magic, it was mostly just playing overpowered creatures and removing them. Whoever ran out of Swords To Plowshares or Paths To Exile first lost. Maybe Type 2 is different, I haven't played that in ten years.


I think MtG has gone under a lot of further development in the past 10 years. I stopped playing during Ice Age, picked it back up with Duels '11-'14, and now doing a sealed league. I think Wizards has done a great job keeping the game fresh as well as adopting fan-created formats in an official context. There are a lot of ways to play magic (almost too many). But the game is great.

Moving a lot of the more powerful effects from spells to creatures has been a good move because it prevents locks from occurring more easily like in days past. Creatures are inherently "weak" they can be killed and manipulated by a variety of effect. Also I think some of the crazier effects of the game have been pushed more to 1/2, 2/2, and 2/1 wizard, mage, cleric, arcanist subtypes. These guys are even weaker than most.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 16:16 #161630 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: General Magic Thread

dragonstout wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: I don't like the over focus of creatures in the current environment -- especially as a way to deal damage. I find it a little more boring.

I DO like when there are more combo-oriented decks available in current formats, because I definitely like there to always be non-creature ways to win, but of all the ways to deal damage, creatures *by their very nature* are the most interactive card type...and are therefore less boring!



Exactly.

Creature Combat = Ameritrash

Sit and watch your opponent play with himself = Euro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 17:04 #161760 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: General Magic Thread

Ken B. wrote: Creature Combat = Ameritrash

Sit and watch your opponent play with himself = Euro


Ha ha! Can't really argue with that. But some of these new creatures are so powerful, the only way to interact with them is to kill them right away or lose. When your opponent plays a 6/6 with flying, vigilance, protection, lifelink, and more, or an 8/8 unblockable that makes you sacrifice three permanents every time it attacks, you don't have many options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 17:34 #161768 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: General Magic Thread
Sounds like you are decribing the Eldrazi creatures which are "new" compared to Ice Age but are now 4 or 5 cycles old. I dont thing there are any creatures like you describe in M13,Innsatrad, Return to Ravnica,M14, orTheros.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 18:38 - 24 Sep 2013 18:40 #161773 by dragonstout
And oddly enough, the Eldrazi were, while powerful, not remotely impossible to deal with even in the LIMITED environment of the time, thanks to the plethora of "Eldrazi Spawn" to chump-block with and sacrifice to the annihilator trigger (lands worked just fine too) (fine, Emrakul was actually impossible to deal with, but also impossible to cast). The problem is when stuff like that is getting Show-and-Tell'ed out into play on turn three. But if you're playing in a format where Show and Tell is legal, then I'm sure your deck is *also* doing insane things, and if it's not, it's your own fault.

In fact, both the creatures you're talking about (Akroma, Angel of Wrath for the first one, and some Eldrazi-ish creature for the latter) are pretty much never played without some kind of way to "cheat" them into play, whether via a Reanimate-style spell or a Show-and-Tell-style spell, and at that point you're basically playing a spell-deck/combo-deck anyway. The reason it's the gigantic CREATURES you remember instead of the gigantic spells isn't even particularly that the gigantic spells are less powerful; it's that it's a lot harder to circumvent the cost of a big spell than on the cost of a big creature. Omniscience or Enter the Infinite or Praetor's Counsel are plenty crazy non-creature spells :-)
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 18:40 by dragonstout.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2013 15:12 #161816 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: General Magic Thread
I wasn't playing in tournaments, it was just casual play-whatever-you-want with friends. So there were plenty of times when someone paid the eight mana to cast Akroma. Sometimes I made a really competitive deck to fight against that, but that wasn't any fun to play either. One deck had Wrath of God, Damnation, Moat, Abyss and Ensnaring Bridge in it. I never lost with it and I never enjoyed winning with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2013 15:45 #161821 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: General Magic Thread

Malygris wrote: I wasn't playing in tournaments, it was just casual play-whatever-you-want with friends. So there were plenty of times when someone paid the eight mana to cast Akroma. Sometimes I made a really competitive deck to fight against that, but that wasn't any fun to play either. One deck had Wrath of God, Damnation, Moat, Abyss and Ensnaring Bridge in it. I never lost with it and I never enjoyed winning with it.



Just my opinion, but that last deck sounds not at all casual.

But building a casual deck does not mean, "gently let your opponent roll to 8 mana" either. There's a fine balance there. Even most of my casual decks can kill before turn 8. And decks looking to hardcast Akroma will generally fall to even the slightest bit of disruption.

Anyway...the best part about Magic? Walk into almost any game or comic store on a weekend and you can find a pickup game of it. More than I can say about pretty much any game, ever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2013 14:44 #161910 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: General Magic Thread
I probably should have mentioned before that these were usually multiplayer games, not one-on-one. Maybe what I'm talking about makes more sense now. Or maybe my friends and I just played Magic differently from most people.

Here's an example of one of my decks: The Land Deck.

4x Exploration
4x Manabond
2x Life From the Loam
1x Crop Rotation

4x Treetop Village
4x Mishra's Factory
4x Mutavault
4x Vesuva
1x Dark Depths
4x Maze of Ith
2x Island of Wak-Wak
4x Deserted Temple
4x Keldon Megaliths
1x Shivan Gorge
1x Dark Depths
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Karakas
1x Strip Mine
2x Wasteland
4x Taiga
4x Stomping Ground
4x Forest

It rarely won, except in team games. It was a lot of fun to build and play.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2013 14:51 #161911 by Space Ghost

Ken B. wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: I don't like the over focus of creatures in the current environment -- especially as a way to deal damage. I find it a little more boring.

I DO like when there are more combo-oriented decks available in current formats, because I definitely like there to always be non-creature ways to win, but of all the ways to deal damage, creatures *by their very nature* are the most interactive card type...and are therefore less boring!



Exactly.

Creature Combat = Ameritrash

Sit and watch your opponent play with himself = Euro


I declare horseshit. What is more Ameritrash than a heavy black mana based combo deck that relies on eating up your own life for the win? Sure the hell not a deck based around Verdant Force and Overrun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds