October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Marvel Dice Masters

More
01 Apr 2014 09:32 #174816 by Bull Nakano
Has anyone else been paying attention to this game? I was pretty interested because it's a collectible dice game that seemed reasonable to get into (unlike past CDGs), but from watching early videos of it, it REALLY seems like Quarriors with a M:tG inspired combat system...WITHOUT INSTANTS. Without instants (or instant abilities), Magic is a pretty boring and deterministic game, am I missing something or is this game going to be a pass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 00:10 #174900 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Marvel Dice Masters
I've been keeping an eye on it, but to be honest, there's something that's holding me back. I love Quarriors and I really enjoy the LotR version. I do like the Marvel theme, and there are rumors that DC is next which would be awesome. But then I wonder if I need another variation on the same theme? I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

If I do buy in, I'll likely look to avoid the random model, look to print cards off and buy dice off eBay.

More
02 Apr 2014 09:43 - 02 Apr 2014 10:07 #174908 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Marvel Dice Masters
It's being hyped a shit ton right now (mainly by Mr. Vasel). It does look a bit interesting, and it's rather cheap for a collectible game, but Superheroes really aren't my thing.

Someone on BGG posted that Transformers is the next set, which I would be more interested in (rolling a mound of Starscream dice would be pretty awesome). Transformers was an April fool's joke. Fuckers.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2014 10:07 by charlest.

More
02 Apr 2014 17:02 #174937 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: It's being hyped a shit ton right now (mainly by Mr. Vasel).

Reason #1 to be fully skeptical.

I looked at it after a buddy turned me onto it. It's a clix game with some fancy dice, and a "deckdicemodelbuilding" blind booster mechanism (read: I have more money, I win), both of which are negatives. I've kind of warmed to Quarriors once you play advanced (read: Stolen from F:AT) culling rules and with the expansions, so if I were to spend money on a game like this, I'd probably just get Quarmageddon or something. If I wanted "X-building" superheroes, I'd either get Ascension: Rise of the DC Heroes License Ruination or Marvel Deckbuilder.

To me, this is a total fucking waste of money.

More
02 Apr 2014 18:39 #174941 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re: Marvel Dice Masters
For a long while I was planning on picking up Quarriors but it seemed like after the initial buzz a lot of people went lukewarm on it. In hindsight, I don't feel I missed out on a lot by passing it up.

After getting a bit of hype from Tom Vasel, I did have pause to look at Marvel Dice Masters, but the collectable aspect killed my interest in it almost immediately. Even if the boosters are dirt-cheap, it's still not a model that I want to throw my money at. And even though Tom may have been uber-excited about it, his offsiders were fairly ho-hum on the game, so I won't be surprised if this goes the way of Quarriors.

More
02 Apr 2014 22:17 #174950 by Michael Barnes
I haven't paid much attention to this but I checked it out tonight.

This could be a major release. Not so much because of the game, which looks decent enough for what it is, but because of how they are pricing it. $1 retail for a booster? GTFO! That is a ballsy plan...they're putting a tabletop game on the market with App Store prices.. At _eighty cents_ street, those things sell themselves! If they are putting this in mass market retail (and convenience stores) this could blow up.

Not with gamers...with KIDS. Kid has five bucks, goes to 7-11 and gets a soda, Hershey's, and a couple of boosters that he takes to school and shows other kids. Other kids want Iron Man too, so they buy boosters and trade cool dice sight their friends. It's perfect to throw in a book bag and play at lunch.

Own a comic shop? Put this on the counter and it sells itself. Everybody understands rolling dice, gamer or not.

I don't think I've ever seen a hobby game product other than penny sleeves or loose dice retailing for a dollar. Brilliant.

More
02 Apr 2014 23:48 #174954 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Marvel Dice Masters
The pricing is counting on big time distribution, if they don't catch on at target/walmart/convenience stores, they won't profit and (I assume) the game will flop. They claim the first print run has sold out, not sure if that's a shoot or a work, but I think the game will be a hit from a sales perspective.

More
03 Apr 2014 10:37 #174965 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: Marvel Dice Masters
After looking it reading up a bit on it, I might be into this. However, there's a DC version on the horizon so I'll likely wait for that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds