October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
07 Nov 2017 14:44 #257210 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic Hearthstone Players!
Continuing to have success with my Shaman Evolve deck - made it to Rank 9 last season with not too much play time.
Trying out a token druid just to mix things up a bit. I need to get a better handle on timing for when to commit to the board, or when I think a clear may be coming.

Also need to get better at timing Living Mana.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2017 15:27 #257212 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
Token Druid is what I laddered with a couple months ago and it's pretty fun for an aggro deck. The list I'm running right now has subbed out the Innervates for a couple of the 1/1 penguins so it plays a little differently; no more big, Innervate-plus-Mark-of-the-Lotus-fueled turns on 2/3. I generally try to save Southsea Deck Hand to be my first Pirate played, if possible, because the more minions you can have at 2+ health, the better. But you'll get a feel for it as you learn your matchups.

One of the best things about it is that games are fast, so you'll have a lot of practical experience in no time. One of the other good things about it is that it's a good Jade Druid counter. I rarely lost a game to Jade Druid from Rank 10 to 5, and that's even with usually going up against one Spreading Plague per game. Evolve Shaman can be trouble but you're already familiar with that deck so you'll know how to play around it, and Midrange Paladin with murlocs always gave me fits (I don't know if I ever beat that deck while climbing) but I couldn't tell you the last time I played against one of those.

More
14 Nov 2017 08:44 #257613 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!
Decided I'm not playing Wild anymore after meeting Reno one too many times. Highlander is the worst concept in the history of Hearthstone IMO, and Reno is the worst card in that concept. Whoever thought it'd be fun to promote a mechanic reducing the amount of combos and synergy in a game where all the skill and fun is in combos and synergy wasn't having the best day. And whoever decided to start that mechanic by making the resulting un-fun games last as long as possible with a massive heal was having a worse one.

Really looking forward to the next expansion, as I'm tired of the grindy, negative, defensive games the current meta engenders. Exodia Mage can go die in its own fire.

More
14 Nov 2017 11:55 #257621 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Reno is pretty frustrating. I have been playing Aggro of late in Wild though and I am pushing damage so fast the game ends around turn 6 either way. Either they are dead to some big Bloodlusted pile of trash or I have no guys on the board and Reno just put them at 30. We both get to move on with our days. In Standard, I am kind of all over the place. Around Rank 17 right now, I think? But I haven't played in a few days. Silence is still such a solid effect in the Standard meta--you should be packing Spellbreakers and/or Ironbeak's almost all the time. So many decks are counting on blocks from Tar Pit Warrior or Bonemare'd buddies.

Looking at some cards from the new set, and the big news seems to be these Legendary Weapons. But don't these just keel over to Acidic Swamp Ooze? It seems weird to have the marquee cards weak to decent 2-drops.

More
14 Nov 2017 12:13 - 14 Nov 2017 12:16 #257623 by Matt Thrower

jeb wrote: Looking at some cards from the new set, and the big news seems to be these Legendary Weapons. But don't these just keel over to Acidic Swamp Ooze? It seems weird to have the marquee cards weak to decent 2-drops.

I had that thought, too. Not to mention the absolute havoc that Harrison Jones is set to unleash on them with their boosted durability scores.

One thing I will say in defence of the current game state is that it's been extraordinarily fluid. The meta normally settles within a month or so of an expansions release, but this time people are still finding new combos to exploit. Look at the "big druid" archetype that's come out of pretty much nowhere to be one of the most powerful decks right now, so close to a new expansion being released. The nu-zoo Warlock deck had the same story a few weeks back.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2017 12:16 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Nov 2017 12:32 #257624 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Reno wasn't meant to be a combo reducer. He was meant to be an entry point for new players. The best decks all have two copies of X; whatever X happens to be when it's non-legendary. Reno, who came with an adventure which almost guaranteed your acquisition of him, rather than the lottery which is the pack system, made it so that you only needed one of X and you still had a solid chance of staying in the game, since he would reset your life total. When they discovered that the Highlander situation was not only possible but actually fun for a lot of people, they continued it with Kazakus and the Mage legendary.

And, yes, Ooze will have a greater place in the coming set. We were just commenting here a couple weeks ago that almost no one plays weapon removal anymore. Gluttonous Ooze was omnipresent in control decks when Un'Goro came out. It barely exists now. That's partially because aggro has slowed down so much that weapon removal isn't as urgent and partially for the same reason that aggro has slowed down: Tar Creeper. Every weapon in the game takes at least two hits to get through Tar Creeper except Arcanite and no one playing Arcanite wants to use a charge on the Creeper. If the control decks have Creeper, they don't need the Ooze Brothers or Harrison; the latter of which takes up a slot sorely needed for often better cards.

More
14 Nov 2017 15:57 #257634 by SebastianBludd
I'm still nursing my sons' new accounts along. My younger son just hit his legendary-in-first-ten-packs for Mean Streets of Gadgetzan: golden Inkmaster Solia. She's already been dusted and 1600 dust will go a long way towards crafting a lot of staples for his budget decks: Equality x2 (for his control Paladin w/ Light Rag and Tirion), Aldor Peacekeeper (x2) (ditto), Stonehill Defender x2, etc.

My older son surprised by putting Marin in his ramp Druid deck and not having it be terrible. I tweaked it by adding a Jade Blossom along with C'thun (subbed in for one of his Ironbark Protectors) and some activators with the final result being a Ramp C'thun Druid deck with the Druid DK as the cherry on top and OG Deathwing as a reset button. He's using Naturalize as a combination hard removal/treasure chest opener and he also has a Crazed Alchemist and Kooky Chemist (we would have gone with 2x CA but his deck already has a lot of 2 drops) for the treasure chest as well.

More
14 Nov 2017 17:20 #257642 by jeb
That's awesome. I have been running a Naturalize in Druid builds for a while--as noted above, everyone is making huge buffed dudes and you need to clear them. Yeah, they cards, but I am Druid, man. In the late game I draw like four cards a turn on average.

I've been goofing with Marin in Evolve Shaman. The chest is a pretty solid target for Reincarnate in Wild. I don't feel like I need to go crazy to pop it in Standard, though.

More
14 Nov 2017 18:13 #257646 by SebastianBludd
A couple days ago I was playing my Elemental Mage deck to complete a 50 gold play-10-elementals daily and I felt a little shitty Polymorphing my opponent's chest. Only a little though, because after all, I was playing Elemental Mage.

More
16 Nov 2017 10:32 #257732 by MacDirk Diggler
Crazy great news I recently learned. The guy who designed Dream Quest is same guy who led Team for Kobolds Catacombs dungeon run. It should be super great.

About Marin. He isn't in any serious decks. He is low statted, and two treasures are pretty good but wouldn't you rather pump 8 damage into your opponent most times?? Where I am on ladder I seeing him maybe 1 in 100 games. I played a guy who played dead mans hand warrior and kept cycling Marin. I was control lock and couldn't close him out he beat me in fatigue.

I did have one of those bucket list moments though. Warlock on warlock and me in Guldan mode. Have opponent at 7 health on empty board. He plays Marin. I suck his face for 3 and bonemare his chest and crush him with it. So deeply satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Nov 2017 18:10 #257769 by jeb
The Tavern Brawl is fun (and gets you a Kobalds pack). Pick a hero, random decks, but you both have a Quest to play (ie, not summon) 7 creatures all together. Each player gets a Treasure minion, but if you play the 7th, the one you have to hit is a 0/4 instead of a 0/8. There's a lot of weird moments trying to set up chests and then exploiting the prizes. I won a game on turn 6 with my double Baron Geddons. I won a game in fatigue. I lost to a turn 2 Faerie Dragon I could literally never clear. I don't recommend Shaman, but everything else seems to be fine.

More
16 Nov 2017 20:12 #257772 by SebastianBludd
Eh, my Warrior decks in this brawl have been hot garbage, but the Druid I played against in my first game had all kinds of good stuff. I won my second game when my opponent played Earth Shock on the treasure chest on my side of the board and conceded in shame.

More
21 Nov 2017 14:23 - 21 Nov 2017 16:50 #258001 by jeb
Streaked from 18 to 15+ in Wild on the back of Aggro Druid:

# 2x (0) Snowflipper Penguin
# 2x (1) Bloodsail Corsair
# 1x (1) Dragon Egg
# 2x (1) Enchanted Raven
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Living Roots
# 2x (1) Mark of the Lotus
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 1x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha
# 2x (2) Mark of Y'Shaarj
# 1x (2) Nerubian Egg
# 1x (2) Novice Engineer
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (3) Crypt Lord
# 2x (3) Savage Roar
# 1x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 1x (5) Living Mana
#
AAEBAZICCJwC/QLZB/oN5hGEF5G8AobBAgtA9wPmBeUH6BXBqwK2swLNuwLrwgLiygKR0AIA

The Nerubian Egg is probably garbage. Everything else chugs along. Having 8-damage boards by the end of turn 2, not unusual. My streak was ended by this sequence of plays from a Priest:
Turn 3: Deathlord (I got through it)
Turn 4: Tortollan Shellraiser (I got through it)
Turn 5: Kazakus, for 1, the 1 gets him 5 Armor and the Deathlord is resurrected. I got through it, Priest is at 6 life, I have lethal in hand, even after a heal
Turn 6: Reno.

//update
Got my Shaman Quest out of the way, so I went back to Moonkin Druid in Wild. This combines the worst aspects of Big Druid with the weakest parts of Jade Druid. But it makes for huge Yoggs, so it evens out. I played against a pretty standard build of Control Paladin. Some Murlocs, DK Uther, Tirion, Spikeridges Steeds, &c. He had this thread of Blood Knight and Bubbles too, but it wasn't really too out of the ordinary. I think he caught on that this was not a normal Druid game when I handled his 9/9 Blood Knight through a Taunt with Jungle Moonkin, Living Roots x2, Moonfire. He was pretty thorough about clearing my Gadgetzans, Fandral, Thaurissan and Arcane Giants. I was able to exploit Swipe off his Equality, but he was still ahead on those. I was down to 2 at one point, but Feral Rage got me back up and I was able to set off Yogg for 21 spells. There was some good stuff in there:
Hex on one of his guys, Arcane Explosion, Primordial Glyph, Spreading Plague for 2, Webweave, Mark of the Forest for +4 Attack on a Scarab, and the it got Molten Reflected, Webweave, Conceal (twice), Starfall, Sap, Duplicate, Redemption, Mimic Pod (on Jade Idol) &c.
At the end he just had Ashbringer and I was at 7 life and 5 Armor or so. I was out of cards, but Jade Idol x2 made that a non-issue and I attacked for 17 and Moonkin Swiped for a bunch more and he conceded.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 16:50 by jeb.

More
24 Nov 2017 05:36 #258159 by MacDirk Diggler
Link to revealed cards from Kobolds and Cafacombs. disguisedtoast.com/articles/296-visual-g...obolds-and-catacombs

Some crazy new shit in there. Legendary neutral 5/5 for 8mana. Battlecry swap decks with your opponent and give him a 5mana ransom spell to swap them back. Spellstones look interesting. Legendary weapons for each class means ooze will see lots of play. But the Druid weapon gives 10mana crystals so you would want to time the destruction of that. People theorize Medivh will be played by Druid which destroys his weapon gives him 10 crystals and then he will combo in Ultimate Infestation for the rage quit. So ooze that thing on turn 7. Unless he ramped and he has 7 mana on turn 5.

Priest got a dragon that gives opponent 2 turns then they get two turns. I can see that working in a Malygos burn priest. But it’s the other priest dragon they are releasing.... Duskbreaker. 3/3 for 4 mana that does 3 dmg to all minions if they have a dragon in hand that is theorized to be the meta defining card of the set. Excavated evil was a thing and it cost 1 more mana and didn’t leave a 3/3 behind... that synergies with tribal dragon priest. Zalae is saying it may be the strongest card ever printed. Time will tell, but if there are enough dragon priests on ladder then forget shaman early game, zoo, token anything, murlocs, pirates. All those cheap to build aggro decks are getting board wiped on turn 4 by Duskbreaker. Spreading Plague already punished wide boards, now you will need more beefy health to withstand that AOE. Which warlock has always had by the way...

I am looking forward to the new set especially the dungeon run, but predict a controlly meta. If you didn’t like games that lasted until turn 10 before, I think you will be sad about the direction this set is taking things.

More
24 Nov 2017 08:57 #258161 by Matt Thrower

MacDirk Diggler wrote: I am looking forward to the new set especially the dungeon run, but predict a controlly meta. If you didn’t like games that lasted until turn 10 before, I think you will be sad about the direction this set is taking things.

I am sad about the direction this set is taking things.

Yesterday I saw a the Priest legendary, a 7 mana dragon that lets you take two turns and then lets your opponet take two turns and it made me want to walk away from the game forever. I mean, seriously, as if Exodia Mage isn't the shittest, most tedious frustrating pile of smug wank in the entire history of the game and some suit at Blizzard watches someone play it and goes "That. That tedious, frustrating pile of smug wank. Let's have more that."

Fuck you, Blizzard suit.

Let's hope the dungeon runs are good, because it looks like I'm out of multiplayer for now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds