October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
28 Mar 2018 20:21 - 28 Mar 2018 20:22 #266537 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Quest Priest love: www.hearthpwn.com/news/5281-new-priest-c...eveal-coffin-crasher

Has possible application for Big Priest, too, although it only plays the Statues from the usual lineup there.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2018 20:22 by Jackwraith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 10:12 #266572 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote: Quest Priest love: www.hearthpwn.com/news/5281-new-priest-c...eveal-coffin-crasher

Has possible application for Big Priest, too, although it only plays the Statues from the usual lineup there.

"How much bullshit potential do you want in your priest toolkit?"

"Fuck me up, fam"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
29 Mar 2018 23:23 - 29 Mar 2018 23:25 #266674 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
Up until tonight, I've only had three 12-win Arena runs ever, and they were all Paladin. Tonight, Rexxar joins the party.

i.imgur.com/rbT12Nl.png

Reward was a pack and 505(!) gold.

MVP was Deadeye. Turns out a 2 damage mage power is pretty good at value trading.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 23:25 by rocketkiwi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
30 Mar 2018 06:46 #266676 by Jackwraith
Congrats! I'm somewhat intrigued by the Arena-only cards. I know the interest in the format has been waning and they've made a ton of changes in the past year to try to reduce the horrible odds of, in essence, wasting 150 gold. I don't play anymore because those odds were my initial complaint during the beta: you can influence what comes around the table in an MTG draft, such that many of the decks will come out roughly even. You can't influence whether someone gets 2 legendary minions and an assload of removal in their deck while you get jack-all in yours in Arena. Removing some cards entirely from the format (Which begs the question as to why those cards, like Lightwell, aren't simply removed from the game /siderant), changing the rate of drops, revising the card quality rules that allows commons, rares, and epics to show up side by side; all of these things have been good changes. None of them have been compelling enough for me to not want to clutch my gold for packs, either current ones or for the next set, and try Arena again. But the power and differing gameplay potential of the Arena-only cards might change that at some point.

More
30 Mar 2018 08:29 #266679 by Jackwraith
So... yeah. www.hearthpwn.com/news/5289-new-priest-l...reveal-lady-in-white

I mean, it doesn't work with Glitter Moth. They were careful about that, at least. But, uh... wow. It's like the six mana Keleseth but, you know... better. Even just a 3/3 Cleric for 1 is some good, even on turn 7. 6/6 Shellraiser for 4. How about a 4/4 Stonehill for 3? But it is draw dependent, of course. You want the Lady as close to turn 6 as you can get her. Even so, for some minion heavy decks, like Quest, this is going to be pretty cool. (8/8 Statue?) All that said, it doesn't really impact a lot of the key minions like Duskbreaker and you certainly wouldn't want to play it with Twilight Drakes. And once you get into things like Sleepy Dragon, you're already paying a steep cost for a minion of that power (most 12/12s already cost 10.) Still, pretty cool.

More
30 Mar 2018 09:51 #266686 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote: So... yeah. www.hearthpwn.com/news/5289-new-priest-l...reveal-lady-in-white

I mean, it doesn't work with Glitter Moth. They were careful about that, at least. But, uh... wow. It's like the six mana Keleseth but, you know... better. Even just a 3/3 Cleric for 1 is some good, even on turn 7. 6/6 Shellraiser for 4. How about a 4/4 Stonehill for 3? But it is draw dependent, of course. You want the Lady as close to turn 6 as you can get her. Even so, for some minion heavy decks, like Quest, this is going to be pretty cool. (8/8 Statue?) All that said, it doesn't really impact a lot of the key minions like Duskbreaker and you certainly wouldn't want to play it with Twilight Drakes. And once you get into things like Sleepy Dragon, you're already paying a steep cost for a minion of that power (most 12/12s already cost 10.) Still, pretty cool.

4/4 taunt shield-bearers for 1, 5-5 taunt Tar Creepers that are 7/5 as blockers for 3. Doomsayer now forces you to take damage if you want to kill it with minions or weapons, meat wagon gets new synergy.

But where it really goes off the chain is in Wild. 8/8 deathlords for 3, , 6/6 dirty rat for 2, every type of egg, 4/4 charge taunt gnomeregan infantry. sludge belcher is now 5/5, even dreck like Flying Machine becomes interesting.

More
30 Mar 2018 11:09 - 30 Mar 2018 11:51 #266690 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Making it to turn 6 as Priest is tricky in Wild right now. There is a lot of Naga Sea Witch-derived damage to take before then. Priest has answers in Lightbomb and then Psychic Scream, but they may come too late if they got NSW and some Giants out turn 5. You are right about Tar Creeper through. That is a DYNAMITE card after Lady Inner Fire gets played, zounds. 6/6 Tortollan Shellraisers too.

Ysera as a 12/12 is pretty nice. That was what I thought about first. 7/3 Injured Blademaster is OK too. Three mana 7/7 if you have Circle! Power creep!

You can get an extra two damage from Twilight Acolyte tricks too, swapping 4 dmg to your own dude if it matters.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 11:51 by jeb.

More
30 Mar 2018 13:55 #266712 by Jackwraith
Ha! I didn't even think about Meat Wagon, mostly because I haven't thought about that card since it entered the game. But that in Quest Priest, post-Lady, is really intriguing. Of course, the main problems with Quest Priest are two-fold: 1. Like all Quests, it's card disadvantage at the start of the game (one less card, since you're spending turn 1 doing nothing and with a card that does nothing.) 2. The Quest reward doesn't really help you win. Unlike all the other Quests, it mostly helps you not lose. So, it still might not be a thing.

Rogue just got an interesting reveal in Cursed Castaway.

More
30 Mar 2018 15:13 - 30 Mar 2018 15:14 #266726 by jeb
Going to be pretty fun emoting "Wow..." every time my turn starts.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 15:14 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
01 Apr 2018 13:20 #266824 by MacDirk Diggler
Agreed. I will craft chamelios day if I don’t get him in a pack. Such great card design that could only exist in digital card game.

Lady in White I am hoping proves out to suck. Keleseth 2.0 basically. Barnes going away only to be replaced by another card that when played on curve doubles winrate. Wish they would stop making super swingy cards like this.

More
01 Apr 2018 13:52 #266827 by Jackwraith
One of the best games I've had in recent times: hsreplay.net/replay/3WXe6sjGzHGn3Fbyf2cvDk

More
01 Apr 2018 20:53 #266848 by Jackwraith
So, in the interest of perhaps examining where Team 5 is going with certain decks and classes, let's look at Cathedral Gargoyle:

www.hearthpwn.com/cards/89382-cathedral-gargoyle

This is clearly a control minion. If it only had Shield like Minibot, it might be aggro, but it has Taunt, which makes it Coghammer target without the weapon. But it's also conditional, since you have to be holding a dragon in order to activate the Battlecry. That means we're seeing an attempt at making Dragon Paladin a thing, which was never successful and hasn't even been a concept since Dragon Consort in BRM failed. There are kinda enough neutral dragons extant to make Dragon Paladin a possibility, but clearly the best of those in the game have been Duskbreaker and the now-departing Drakonid OP. That means that at least a couple more of the cards in the new set for Paladin have to be viable dragons or Cathedral Gargoyle will never see play.

What makes it also likely to be rare (i.e. unless those dragons are damn good) is that it's conditional AND a Battlecry minion. That means that it's subject to being pulled by Call to Arms and being a vanilla 2/2, which is bad. Call to Arms is possibly the best card in the game right now, but mostly because it pulls minions with static effects (DShield for Protector and Squire, attack bonus for Wolf, Taunt for Dirty Rat, etc.) This card won't get them because it's a Battlecry, which means that any control or Dragon deck that uses it will be less inclined to use the best card in the game... which means that Gargoyle likely won't see play, again, unless those dragons are really good.

More
03 Apr 2018 10:04 #266898 by jeb
Anyone here know how pack timers work? I have accumulated a pile of packs over the last couple weeks and am wondering about the "best" way to open them, given that I want Legendaries and Epics. Is each pack type on it's own timer, or do the timers reset when you switch packs? I have something like:
  • 2@ Kobolds & Catacombs
  • 4@ Frozen Throne
  • 1@ Journey to Un'Goro
  • 4@ Classic
  • 3@ Witchwood (+ 61 more in gold form)
Do I wait for the 12th or whatever, open Witchwood's until I hit my 1-in-the-first-10, then switch to open the others, then go back to Witchwood? I think the last pack type I opened was Classic—should I do all my Classics first, then the above?

More
03 Apr 2018 10:38 #266899 by Jackwraith
The pity timer is tracked independently for each type, so I don't think you're going to impact very much with the small numbers that you're opening.

Also, one of the most interesting Hunter cards I've seen in a long time just got revealed: www.hearthpwn.com/news/5324-new-hunter-card-reveal-dire-frenzy

More
03 Apr 2018 11:10 - 03 Apr 2018 11:35 #266902 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: Anyone here know how pack timers work?

Legendaries are guaranteed one per 40 packs and Epics are one per 10 packs, minimum. Gold cards are also tracked but their probability is so low that no one bothers tracking them.

As for the different sets, the last time I looked into it no one could agree whether the timer resets between pack types or not. I never give a shit about switching between types when I'm opening the odd singleton from Tavern Brawls and special events/promotions and such, but when it comes to new expansions I don't take any chances.

If you don't plan on buying any more WW packs after launch day then I would open all your non-Classic, non-WW packs, one type at a time, in any order. Next, I would open all your WW packs, and then I would end on Classic packs so you can carry the pity timer into Tavern Brawl packs.

Depending on how many Classic packs you previously opened it probably won't make much of a difference if you open them first or not. Estimating that you'll be opening approximately 16 Classic Tavern Brawl packs between expansions, plus factoring in the 4 you have on hand, that would put you halfway to opening a Legendary by the time the next expansion drops.

That's only if you're interested in min/maxing your drop rates, and you'll still get the odd Legendary that you "shouldn't" get based on the pity timer. I pulled a Rin out of the three KnC packs we got for the servers being down, and I got the Warlock Quest (hey, they can't all be winners, and that's also something to consider when deciding if micromanaging the pity timer is worth it) from a single quest bonus KotFT pack last week.

Re: Dire Frenzy: It looks like this card will require some sort of card draw to get the most utility out of it. That leaves us with the usual inefficient Hunter draw methods (Unleash the Hounds + Cult Master, Starving Buzzard, Flare, etc.) that I'm not sure are up to the task of propping up this latest addition to Control Hunter.

If you're looking at tutoring effects rather than card draw things look a little better. Assuming that you're playing the value game with DS Rexxar, Kathrena might be a good choice for pulling one of your Dire Frenzied minions - and Kathrena + Dire Frenzy is a tidy 10 mana so you can DF and proc her on the same turn. Silver Vanguard, Corpsetaker and Guild Recruiter require good RNG from DS Rexxar's hero power so they almost certainly won't be used. Seeping Oozeling is also dependent on good hero power RNG but you could run Highmanes as a secondary synergy. However, when was the last time you saw Oozeling? Plus, all of these minions require some setup to get the most out of their synergies with Dire Frenzy; and they need even more setup and strict mana cost management if you're relying on the hero power.

Of course we haven't seen all the Hunter cards yet but it looks like draw is still going to be an issue.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 11:35 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds