Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about collectible card here.

TOPIC: Hearthstone Players!

Hearthstone Players! 21 May 2018 22:27 #273851

So, I wrote something on the incoming nerfs. It's showing up in the display menu above the forum, but not on the front page and it didn't create a topic in the forum, so I'm not sure what's up there. But since I didn't write it until today and it's not making it to the front, I guess it will be kind of a wasted effort, since it's old news after tomorrow.

therewillbe.games/articles-electronic-ga...s-they-are-a-changin

All I can say for the actual news is: Fucking finally. I am so, so tired of playing against Warlock every game and I'm really hoping that these changes to Pact and Lackey have the impact that they think they'll have. I'm seriously doubtful since, having played no less than 5 Warlocks in 6 games in the last hour, they'll still be able to do everything- and I mean EVERYTHING -better than any other class. Pact will still exist, as will Spellstone and Siphon Soul, which means they still do a combo of single-target removal and healing better than anyone else. Defile, Hellfire, Godfrey, and Twist are all still present, which means they'll still clear boards better than anyone else. And Librarian and Life Tap are still present, which means they'll still draw better than anyone else. Oh, and they still have the best weapon from Kobolds, the best burst from Doomguard, and the best Taunt minion the game has ever seen. So, yeah.

Tried putting together an Odd Shaman deck the other day. It sucks ass, at least in part because it lacks Hex and involves so much Overload. I know that the Snowfury deck is being promoted as a thing now on Hearthpwn. You ever notice how those seemingly fringe decks get a ton of approbation from accounts created in the last couple days so that they end up on the front page as "popular"? Right now the Snowfury deck is being touted as "the answer" to Warlock because of that 1 or 2 times every 10 games you can get 4 Giants down with Ancestral. Good luck with that.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1171
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP

Hearthstone Players! 22 May 2018 00:47 #273856

And since it's just me echoing in here again: I did decide to try some Overload Shaman again in Casual. It's still pretty clunky and I wasn't going up against anything really optimal, other than a couple Spiteful Druid decks. I am playing Feral Spirit, though, believe it or not, which just revealed to me the OTHER shitty aspect of Sapphire Spellstone (other than the fact that it requires Overload to function and costs 7, which means you can never use it on its best target (EE), blah, blah, blah; you've heard it all before): It doesn't carry over Overload payments. In other words, if you need 1 more Overload to get from Lesser to Sapphire and you Overload 2, you still need 3 to reach Greater. Just unbelievably awful. It's the second-worst mechanic in the game. You'd think they could give you a break at some point. I'm still amazed that Snowfury isn't required to be in your hand to get the discount.

Anyway, it's basically the same thing it's been since Knights: a control deck with a mild combo that you'll occasionally pull off and make people concede. I had one slot open, so I decided to throw Hagatha in there, which is probably stupid, since there are only 11 minions in the deck. I've won at least a couple games just by topdecking Healing Rain. I was likely dead to any direct damage in both games, otherwise. Drakkari Defender is just SO miserable with all the Spellbreakers. You end up paying six for a vanilla 2/8 a good chunk of the time. I did win one game when one of my EEs got silenced and I went ahead and Ancestraled him, anyway. The next turn's Sapphire made my opponent concede because there was no way a Hunter could deal with that much beef and I was still in the high teens for health. Class identity. Woo.
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja

Hearthstone Players! 22 May 2018 04:13 #273859

Jackwraith wrote:
So, I wrote something on the incoming nerfs. It's showing up in the display menu above the forum, but not on the front page and it didn't create a topic in the forum, so I'm not sure what's up there. But since I didn't write it until today and it's not making it to the front, I guess it will be kind of a wasted effort, since it's old news after tomorrow.

therewillbe.games/articles-electronic-ga...s-they-are-a-changin

All I can say for the actual news is: Fucking finally. I am so, so tired of playing against Warlock every game and I'm really hoping that these changes to Pact and Lackey have the impact that they think they'll have.

It's on the front page now, and I think if you post to the discussion it will create a thread. And the patch hasn't landed in the EU yet so it's still relevant.

(It may be an echo chamber, but I regularly read the thread whenever there are posts)

I haven't been as unlucky meeting Warlocks, but I'm likely playing at a lower rank than you, yet I'll still be very thankful to see any flavour of Control Warlock gone. The infuriating thing about the deck is that unless you're tooled up to beat it, it's pretty much unbeatable. If they get a turn 6 Voidlord and you've not drawn a Spellbreaker, you're toast. That's not a fun game. And I still find it pretty shocking that even after months of seeing Cubelock in play, they added a card like Lord Godfrey.

It's a shame in a way, as it's actually a pretty fun deck to play. But I gave up inflicting it on people.

At the moment, I can't gather much enthusiasm for Hearthstone. I'm still playing daily and enjoying my games, but I've kind of given up on ranked play. So far this month I've got 13 wins vs 8 losses on ranked play and I've still only climbed one rank. I'm just not sure I can be bothered with the rigmarole of earning 20 stars every month.
  • MattDP
  • Shiny Balls
  • Number Of Fence
  • Thank you received: 1023
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Hearthstone Players! 22 May 2018 09:52 #273866

OK. Cool. Thanks. I'm an idiot. I just thought that articles were automatically bouncing to the forum, rather than appearing when, you know, someone actually responded to them(!) And I realize people are reading the thread. It's just funny to me when it seems like I'm here talking to myself.

I'm not ranked that much higher than you, if at all. And, yes, as much as I appreciate the way they decided to change the month-end system (dropping four ranks instead of the entire player base dropping into the nether reaches), the increase in star requirements has become a bit annoying. It's harder to feel any kind of progress if you play only an hour a day or something like that. I guess that's Blizzard finally drawing a line between "casuals" and "gamers" in one of their games?

I agree that Cubelock is a fun deck to play. But Voidlords are just oppressive. Full stop. No one enjoys facing them and the absolute requirement of Spellbreaker or Owl in every, single deck has to be the largest deckbuilding limitation HS has been presented with in quite some time. You can't even consider janky cards like Totem Chewer (still an awful idea to begin with) because of the Voidlord anticipation. And it's going to be another year of this...
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP

Hearthstone Players! 23 May 2018 10:51 #273924

That's straight up bullshit that excess Overload doesn't count toward the next Sapphire Spellstone upgrade, especially when one considers that Kobold Librarian upgrades Amethyst Spellstone if you draw it off KL's Battlecry.

As for Voidlords, they're seeming more and more like a card that was made because Team 5 liked the symmetry of the design - with a 3/9 spitting out three 1/3's - rather than because it was a well-balanced addition to the game.

The only time I've seen Totem Cruncher played was last week when my son put it in his Tavern Brawl deck with Flametongue Totem. It was a fun deck and he won handily but the next time I see TC hit the board I fully expect it to be followed by the befuddled reaction of an Arena player (i.e., "That's a card?", etc.).

The increased star requirement for laddering has proven to be more of a disincentive to rank up if, like me, you like playing slower decks. Oh well, at least my losses will be faster to all the Aggro Paladin decks out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith
Time to create page: 0.667 seconds