October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
09 Aug 2018 12:03 #279537 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
My son wanted to play with my new Dr. Boom so I let him make a Mech Warrior deck and play a few games with it. It's this one:

### Mech Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Eternium Rover
# 2x (1) Omega Assembly
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 2x (2) Execute
# 2x (2) Upgradeable Framebot
# 1x (2) Warpath
# 2x (2) Weapons Project
# 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 2x (3) Bronze Gatekeeper
# 1x (3) Shield Block
# 2x (4) Blood Razor
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 2x (5) Dyn-o-matic
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Mechanical Whelp
# 1x (7) Dr. Boom, Mad Genius
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
# 1x (8) The Lich King
#
AAECAQcI0gKQB/8Hws4Cm/MCtPYCkvgCoIADC0uiBJEG+wzMzQKl9QL09QKD+wKR+wKe+wKz/AIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The idea is to use all of your early game to keep you alive and/or control the board until you can get to Dr. Boom and your big threats. Eternium Rover has great synergy with Magnetic minions and is probably going to be an auto-include in all Warrior decks. A great combo in this deck is Weapons Project -> Harrison Jones, which is a 7 mana 5/4, gain 6 armor, equip a 2/3 weapon, draw 3 cards.

I'm not sure about Mechanical Welp. It has Brawl and mech synergy but it seems kind of underwhelming and that deck slot might be better-utilized by Spellbreaker or another tech card (like E.M.P. Operative, which I pulled three copies of, including a golden).

I was pleasantly surprised by how good Omega Assembly and Dyn-O-Matic were. Omega Assembly is similar to a mini Rhok'delar if you can play it on turn 10+, and since this is a control deck there's no reason to play it earlier. Like Rhok'delar you can get screwed by the RNG but you'll probably get something decent in the 6 cards you get from both OA's.

Dyn-O-Matic looked too conditional on first glance but it's really not that hard to avoid its downside in this deck since the deck is all mechs until Turns 8+ (not counting Harrison). Its Battlecry also looks bad-ass and it's very satisfying to use one to destroy a Rotten Applebaum played on curve.

And of course, Dr. Boom is awesome and, like Rexxar, he's a great way to win the value war against another control deck. The fact that his passive gives all your mechs Rush is also a nice perk.

Here's a game from last night against a Warlock:
hsreplay.net/replay/XpJDwUWnmD3ZpLTHniYpEP

Beryllium Nullifier is a card from this expansion that you would rarely put in decks but you would take it as a choice from Dr. Boom's hero power, as we did this game. (Also, I really like Warlock's Omega Agent and I like the late game utility of most of the Omega cards in general.) We held onto both Brawls for most of the game and once he played Gul'dan we played both of them to clear his board (luckily the first Brawl hit both Voidlords) and were able to out-value him until his concession while we were both in fatigue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2018 19:11 - 09 Aug 2018 19:14 #279560 by MacDirk Diggler
Most interesting new deck I have seen is Dog otk combo priest. The combo is radiant elemental, vivid nightmares,test subject, boar, topsy turvy, divine spirit. You make a couple of radiant elementals, play test subject and vivid nightmare divine topsy and kill it. But it made a second with nightmare. Then you play all those spells on the second and kill it, etc. Only limit on how many divine, topsy you get for boar(s) is how fast you can click. you get all those spells back to hand. You load up the boar with divines and then topsy it for otk. You can also make more boars with extra nightmares if there are taunts and kill those. You need to click fast to make a 64 damage boar, but I have seen him otk turn 7.

I been playing Togwaggle and big Druid. Togwaggle crushes mechathun decks. I don’t think mechathun will be a thing in few weeks. There is warrior one with Maly and mechathun. You boomship them out together and then inner rage both and whirlwind. Too many pieces. The warlock one youdiscoint mechathun 2x with minion that discounts mech in hand. Play cheap mechathun and then bloodbloom cataclysm is faster than warrior. . But not as fast as Togwaggle. I get their 6 card deck and their hand. I mechathun them first. I had biology project in there because I saw others running it. It’s dumb in that deck. Rogues and Warlocks use the mana to kill you faster. The extra ramp is brilliant in my Big Druid deck though because it gets out Oakheart faster.

The Dr Boom hero is mixed bag. I saw Firebat streaming the Mechathun warrior and he cut Dr Boom from his list after a few games.
I don’t see myself crafting it. Rattle rogue and rattle hunter both seem good. I don’t see paladins anymore.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 19:14 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
10 Aug 2018 21:38 #279587 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, I've seen that OTK Priest. But I've beaten it miserably with everything I have. Meanwhile, there's a half-dozen other OTK combo decks, like the Rogue Necrium Blade Malygos one. Ugh. 4 days in and I already want to stop playing because of that shit. Meanwhile, I'm about thisfar away from dumping Priest as a class for the duration. It's in an awful state and I was just playing something- anything -to try to finish a quest. I don't even like any of the decks currently possible for it; at least in part because they all suck.

More
12 Aug 2018 00:39 #279606 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm dabbling in Priest. So far my best decks have all been Dinosaur Egg Tempo stuff, and those are snoozers. Control builds lose to the Combo decks—those are everywhere. I can tell you there is not NEARLY enough Silence effects being run. Folks are making BIG Magnetic Mechs and not getting punished. I'm sure there's an Inner Fire deck that would be good, but is it any better than the Dragon one I was using before this set came out?

More
17 Aug 2018 09:24 #279960 by Jackwraith
After jousting with Jeb a bit to show him some of the decks I'm (rarely) playing and commiserating over the awful state of the Combo Meta ("You think you're playing a game with me, but I'm actually just biding time until I can play with myself." It's like all of Hearthstone is now a 13-year-old boy...), I decided to try out a couple of the pre-fab decks for Boomsday.

First, one of the games with Jeb and my control Pally: hsreplay.net/replay/daVqM7wtJw2hwU2GciwWNR

It kinda works. Jeb made the good suggestion to replace Steeds with Scalebanes to provide more threat because it really lacked a finishing element. I'm still not hugely impressed by regular Mechs other than Wargear, which is only a good card with other Mechs. Ziliax is amazing and is seeing play even in non-Mech decks, but otherwise I think they might have the Elemental problem: in theory, they're great, but lacking real threat makes them like many Elementals. They're something you blow past while you're killing your opponent.

Later I tried the Priest buff decks (Many Arms, Inner Fire, Zerek, dragons.) Save me, jeebus. It's awful, This whole meta is like a reversion to beta for Priest. After two years of doing interesting (and occasionally OP) stuff with Streets of Gadgetzan, now we're back to Inner Fire combo or... "Keep healing your minions and you'll eventually win the board and grind your opponent down!"
"But... my opopnent plays aggro and kills me by turn 5 or plays combo and doesn't care that I'm controlling the board with my fat-assed, low attack minions...?"
"But you're a Priest! Heal them and you'll win!"

Fair warning: If you play Test Subject, they'll think you're playing the soul-deadening APM combo deck and will use every means possible to kill it. Many Arms might as well not exist as a card, for all the good it does. Sounded interesting. Too slow and too few good targets to make it worthwhile. Four straight losses later (two to combo decks!), I switched to Shaman.

The Elemental deck is pretty close to a Bloodlust thing I was running: hsreplay.net/replay/ZrGHhnhwV58J8UEKBZbyEF
I switched out a couple things because Unbound Elementals still suck ass. Thunderhead, OTOH, is amay-zing. First time in over four years that I actually felt OK about playing Overload. He will have supertaunt from here on out, especially since the Sparks that he and Voltaic Burst generate are Elenentals, which you can then hit with Earthen Might. It's a fun deck that doesn't require much draw, since you'll be generating pseudo-draw (Discover) off of Might, Menacing Nimbus, etc. and then getting double draws off Elementary Reaction a lot of the time. (Double Kalimos is pretty OK, if you live that long.) One downside to Electra that I didn't think about is that when she says "cast twice", it means "cast twice." That means if you Electra -> Lightning Storm, you'll be Overloaded for 4.

More
17 Aug 2018 11:37 - 17 Aug 2018 11:38 #279970 by jeb
Those were good games! Jackwraith and I are both in the hunt for a decent midrange, grindy game. That's tough to find because all the decks are either dumb dumb attack attack junk like Odd Paladin and Odd Rogue; or hold-em-offfffff-and-you're-dead Combo decks like Maly Rogue or Boar Priest.

Boar is a bellweather. If Stonetusk Boar is seeing play, it's a bad meta. Cf, Quest Rogue. Things will settle down into the old tropes, I trust. It's a new meta and that shake-up always causes this.

Looking good:
  • Hunter! Deathrattle Hunter is solid. Someone will tune up a good version that can get board control and extend to lategame. That will be nice.
  • Shaman! Overload might work again, and not seem grossly unfair. There's a solid deck that just removes, removes, removes, and then makes one fatty, two fatty, three fatty four. Earth Elementals, Lich Kings, Giants, and they are dressed with Ancestral Spirits and copied by Spellstones.
  • Druid! Fucking broken as hell. Held in check for now by all the Aggro.
  • Warrior! Dr. Boom is really good. They have tons of tools for patient players.

Looking weak:
  • Mage! Yikes. Not much there. Aggro is still good. Burn is burn. But I don't see a lot of dimensions to play for Mage. They have one build.
  • Priest! I have not changed literally one card in my Inner Fire deck. This whole set adds 0. Tempo might work, but ~eh~. The Test Subject combo deck is fragile and can lose to Taunts.
  • Warlock! Control loses to Combo, and Even gets out-Aggro'd by everything else. Set doesn't seem to add much that's worth using.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2018 11:38 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
17 Aug 2018 13:13 #279981 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote:

• Hunter! Deathrattle Hunter is solid. Someone will tune up a good version that can get board control and extend to lategame. That will be nice.

• I have seen some hilarious Deathrattle goblin bomb decks. There's just really cool symmetry with a lot of the DR and Mech effects that makes those decks look really fun to play and actually pretty effective.

jeb wrote:

• Shaman! Overload might work again, and not seem grossly unfair. There's a solid deck that just removes, removes, removes, and then makes one fatty, two fatty, three fatty four. Earth Elementals, Lich Kings, Giants, and they are dressed with Ancestral Spirits and copied by Spellstones.

• Thing is, this deck was working in Witchwood and could pretty much ignore Boomsday to keep working. The addition of Eureka makes it easier to get the big bodies down without Overloading yourself, but I'm still not sure that it moves fast enough to handle the combo abominations.

jeb wrote:

• Warrior! Dr. Boom is really good. They have tons of tools for patient players.

• Got beat by one of these last night. It was really fun to watch with the variable HP. Plus, all Mechs rushing is insanely good. Boom is way better than Hagatha in terms of both effectiveness post-casting and what kind of decks it can be included in. Most Spellstone Shaman decks were running Hagatha as a last out. But if you had the deck optimized, you were only running 6 minions, which doesn't serve Hagatha at all. (Now only 5 if you dump Sandbinder for Eureka and find room for Electra. Maybe 7 if you want Storm Chaser so you're not always Overloading without a Spellstone in hand.) Boom can work even in lighter Mech decks because at least one of his powers creates them, so you'll have his static ability, regardless, plus a lot of really good alternatives (3 damage to any target!)

jeb wrote:

• Mage! Yikes. Not much there. Aggro is still good. Burn is burn. But I don't see a lot of dimensions to play for Mage. They have one build.

• Kibler's midrange minion deck still looks really good. Granted, Kibler is Kibler and he makes a lot of things look good, but he played that deck more than any other in Witchwood. He added Astromancer to it for sure and was testing Meteorologist, last I knew.

jeb wrote:

• Priest! I have not changed literally one card in my Inner Fire deck. This whole set adds 0. Tempo might work, but ~eh~. The Test Subject combo deck is fragile and can lose to Taunts.

• Yep. I think it's horrible. I've played a half-dozen and lost to one. But it has the same feeling as any combo deck when you lose to it: "Wow. That was fun banging my head against a wall only to sit there and watch you win with no input by me whatsoever." It's like the Stroke decks in Urza block. At least once during a tournament, I called one of the roving judges over while an opponent was going through his gyrations and said: "I have to take a piss. Can you just tell me if he gets it done?" He laughed. Mike Donais was actually head judge at that tourney (an Extended PTQ; my opponent actually failed to finish before I got back and i cut off his last Time Spiral with a Red Elemental Blast. Badlands, FTW!)

jeb wrote:

• Warlock! Control loses to Combo, and Even gets out-Aggro'd by everything else. Set doesn't seem to add much that's worth using.

• My only real point of disagreement. Healzoo is still the shit and gained Soularium, Doubling Imp, and Soul Infusion. Any time I've been frustrated in the last week or two and just wanted to win, I went Healzoo and just bulldozed a path in front of me for a few games.

More
    17 Aug 2018 19:49 #280011 by jeb
    Doubling Imp is okay. But what else does Zoo gain? I haven't seen anything more interesting than that being tried in HealZoo and I don't know if it's better than what they already had. Soularium, yes, that's gotta work. I guess the Zoos I see are unlucky, I haven't seen it. Soul Infusion seems like a waste of mana, someone convince me. MacDirk should weigh in here.

More
    18 Aug 2018 09:45 #280017 by Jackwraith
    Soul Infusion + Doubling Imp = 2 4/4s for 3.
    Soul Infusion + Saronite Chain Gang = 2 4/5s for 4.
    Soul Infusion + Flame Imp, Voidwalker, Ghoul, etc., etc.

Yes, I realize I'm ignoring the extra 1 mana cost of Infusion itself, but I'm focusing mostly on the mana efficiency, which is precisely what makes Zoo a good deck. That's the way it's always worked and Soul Infusion just makes it better, especially if one has access to Soularium in the mid- to late-game where Zoo starts to slow down. I think it's a great card, considering that Zoo can rearrange/refill its hand with Life Tap better than any other class.

More
    18 Aug 2018 11:13 #280019 by MacDirk Diggler
    Ok I will weigh in. You are wrong about Zoo. Zoo is good and it’s also likely the most popular deck I face by a wide margin. I listen to the HS podcasts when doing house tasks. Just this week on Valuetown, Gaara was saying how glad he was that zoo was good because it’s holding all the combo decks in check. If Zoo gets Keleseth on 2 it’s very hard for any deck, even control warrior, to beat it. Zoo can just vomit stats on the board before turn 3 like no other. You need 2 AOE in your top 7 cards or you die. Solarium is great refill. Soul infusion is also nuts on Leeroy.

What are you not liking about zoo?

I been playing some more Togwaggle and Big Druid into rank 3. Now tired of those decks and am trying Kill All your stuff Odd Warrior. It auto loses to so many decks. But I like crushing aggro players too much to not keep playing it. I have definitely settled in where I know I don’t want to play aggro decks much anymore. Control is more fun for me.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
    18 Aug 2018 18:34 #280028 by Jackwraith
    One side note about Elementals:

They've finally acknowledged that the "if you played one last turn" mechanic was simply way too restrictive for their cost. It took over a year, a change in HS year, and four more sets to make it happen, but they've finally done it. I give you: Menacing Nimbus vs Servant of Kalimos.

Nimbus is a 2/2 for 2. That's bad. However, Nimbus has an unrestricted Battlecry: Add a random Elemental to your hand.
    Servant of Kalimos is a 4/5 for 5. That's also bad. But Servant's Battlecry, while better than Nimbus', since it's a Discover effect, is restricted. If you didn't play an Elemental last turn (often unlikely, since there were no good 4-cost Elementals except Fire Plume Phoenix (which you want an appropriate target for) and three Mage cards, which don't help the class identified with, you know... the elements), all you got was an overpriced Yeti.

With Nimbus, you play an Elemental on turn 2 to activate your effects and get a card. On turn 4 (the blank turn without Phoenix), you could even optimize your mana, play Nimbus and Earthen Might, and get two cards to replace the two you just played. Of course, after over a year and 4 sets, they also realized that non-Mage Elemental decks had a blank turn barring one card and have added Thunderhead and Storm Chaser if anyone wanted to play, you know... Elementals... as a Shaman. I've now played and faced a variety of Elemental decks in the past couple months, pre- and post-Boomsday. Servant of Kalimos is no longer in any of them. In fact, there are no "played last turn" Elementals present at all, except for Elemental Reaction, which I'm just testing out, and Kalimos because he's a finisher.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if Reaction fits in the Overload deck?

More
    18 Aug 2018 23:50 #280031 by jeb
    I'm not saying Zoo is bad, I am saying Warlock doesn't get anything from the set. It's like a non-event. If anything, the set hurts, because it makes Controllock worse by enabling more Combo decks to blow them out lategame. If you are playing Warlock competively, you'd better be playing Zoo. That makes it boring. Cf, Mage, which is really down to Aggro Mage. I think someone will cook up a Big Spell mix that can work, but it's a struggle. I am not sure someone can cook up a Controllock that is worth playing. There are just too many ways to lose in the late game.

Agree about Elementals. They are just not as good as Dragons or Mechs. Mechs and Dragons both get better as you draw cards, Elementals that look back only get better as you PLAY (the appropriate) cards. It's a much bigger "ask" and the benefits are not commensurately better.

More
    19 Aug 2018 09:40 - 19 Aug 2018 09:41 #280035 by Jackwraith
    Maybe. Kripp has apparently been laying waste to legend rank with this:

# 1x (0) Sacrificial Pact
    # 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
    # 2x (2) Defile
    # 2x (2) Demonic Project
    # 2x (2) Gnomeferatu
    # 1x (3) Prince Taldaram
    # 2x (4) Hellfire
    # 2x (4) Lesser Amethyst Spellstone
    # 2x (4) Spellbreaker
    # 2x (5) Despicable Dreadlord
    # 2x (5) Rotten Applebaum
    # 1x (5) Skull of the Man'ari
    # 1x (6) Rin, the First Disciple
    # 1x (6) Siphon Soul
    # 1x (6) Skulking Geist
    # 1x (7) Lord Godfrey
    # 2x (8) Twisting Nether
    # 2x (9) Voidlord
    # 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
    #
    AAECAf0GCKMBzAigzgKX0wKd4gLY5wLb6QKc+AIL8gXbBrYH58sCrs0C980C8tACiNIC6OcCxfMCgIoDAA==

He added a Baleful Banker later for one of the Demonic Projects, too. He calls it "No Fun Warlock" and he won 90% of his games over 4 hours, going from 2000-something legend to 400-something. To your point, he's ruling the legend meta with a deck that contains one copy of one common card from Boomsday, so perhaps not as impactful as people thought. But I remember saying the same thing about Witchwood and comparing it to TGT because the dominant cards were still Knights and Kobolds... and they still are in this deck, with only 3 from Witchwood.
    Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 09:41 by Jackwraith.

More
    19 Aug 2018 14:18 - 19 Aug 2018 15:03 #280039 by MacDirk Diggler
    As Jackwraith shows. Control lock is decent. My control warrior is beating it consistently tho. All I need to do to win is silence Rin. Demonic project is an important card. It blows up combo. It’s one of the reasons I quit Togwaggle. But I think I like Evenlock more. It is also running Demonic project. And sometimes Spirit Bomb There are straight aggro demon builds. It’s early and people are netdecking and playing what they see. Nobody has really explored all the cards for warlock. I don’t see how you can complain about warlock not getting stuff. If you looked up the stats, which I am lazy to do, Warlock is the most played class at the moment. Why do they need more? Also there will be rotatation in 7-8 months. Some of the cards not being used may have unseen relevance in the future.

In the meta: soul infusion, the soularium, demonic project, doubling imp
    On the bubble. Void analyst, spirit bomb
    Not yet: Dr. Morrigan, ectomancy, omega agent, Nethersoul buster.
    Compare this to other classes. It’s not horrid. Those top 4 cards see as much play as all the Paladin and new Priest cards combined I am sure.

Made rank 2 today with Odd Warrior. Dynomatci and Supercollider are so good. Giggling isn’t as good anymore. I get afraid to play it because mossy horror has become a thing. Double owl and MCtech are to counter Deathrattle decks. I had 2x MC but it’ feels like a dead card way too often. Faceless their Lich King and then BGH it is nasty. I learned a lot watching Zalae. The way to play this is not play any card unless you must. Even on an empty board...maybe throw Elise out there. But you can just hero power pass forever until your hand is full or they make you react.

### Oddjob
    # Class: Warrior
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Omega Assembly
    # 2x (1) Shield Slam
    # 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
    # 2x (3) Ironbeak Owl
    # 1x (3) Mind Control Tech
    # 2x (3) Reckless Flurry
    # 2x (3) Shield Block
    # 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
    # 1x (5) Big Game Hunter
    # 2x (5) Brawl
    # 2x (5) Direhorn Hatchling
    # 2x (5) Dyn-o-matic
    # 1x (5) Elise the Trailblazer
    # 1x (5) Faceless Manipulator
    # 2x (5) Giggling Inventor
    # 2x (5) Supercollider
    # 1x (5) Zilliax
    # 1x (7) Dr. Boom, Mad Genius
    # 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
    #
    AAECAQcIkwTeBfkM08UCz8cCkvgCnvgCoIADC0uiAqIE/webwgKixwLK5wLi+AKD+wKO+wKe+wIA
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
    Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 15:03 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
    19 Aug 2018 15:25 #280041 by Jackwraith
    I tried Ectomancy and Nethersoul in a straight Demonlock build and it didn't work so well. As feared, without Crystallizer, the Nethersouls were terribly underwhelming. Spirit Bomb could help compensate for that, too, but I still kind of arch an eyebrow at taking four damage when I could pay one more mana and get the same effect with Shadow Bolt. Ectomancy just doesn't work with Zoo. It's too high cost and requires you to keep a decent board for its cost when you're usually just making efficient trades. If not, you're already winning and Ecto is a win-more. It might find a place in a control deck, but there are so many more efficient uses of those slots right now that it's just not feasible. Needs another expansion or two, I think.

Moderators: Gary Sax
    Time to create page: 0.355 seconds