October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
02 Jun 2015 11:47 #203246 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Piloted Shredder is a huge leap in quality when you go from not having them to having them. You don't think it's that amazing until you have them, and then you wondered what kept you from them for so long. 4/3 for 4 is clunky, but that stickiness--"surviving" things like Hellfire and Flamestrike is just amazing. Same goes for Harvest Golem. They punch above their weight, killing minions that cost more mana with their combo bodies--contrast with Hungry Dragon, which usually dies to a smaller minion plus whatever it spawned. This also enables "Mech" as a platform assuming you have Mechwarpers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2015 12:15 #203250 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, anything that leaves behind another minion or minions is pretty great IMO...Sludge Belcher would be another one. It's a pain in the ass, you kill it, and it's STILL a pain in the ass for at least another turn.

Piloted Shredder is pretty much an automatic pick in Arena...not like it ever helps me win, but that kind of persistent control is invaluable. You see that and Harvest Golem in just about every deck in Arena.

Lately I've been just running rampant with this Exploding Mage deck:

Arcane Missiles x2
Mirror Image x2
Mana Wyrm x2
Shieldbearer x2
Arcane Explosion x2
Flamecannon x2
Frostbolt x2
Annoy-o-Tron x2
Kobold Geomancer x2
Sorceror's Apprentice x2
Arcane Intellect x2
Flamewaker x2
Soot Spewer x2
Fireball x2
Gadgetzan Auctioneer
Flamestrike

Nothing fancy here, nothing really all that rare and a pretty straightforward approach. It demands that you mulligan aggressively to get (preferably) A Sorceror's Apprentice and Mirror Image in hand on turn one. If you can get a protected Flamewaker on the table turn 3 or 4, this deck can get real ugly real quick- you're just slinging spells and blasting everything on the other side of the board. This is why it's "explosive"- you just start blowing shit up. Once the Fireballs are in hand, it's pretty much GG.

Mid to late game fatigue is a weakness because of the low-cost spells and the discounts from the Apprentices- hence the Arcane Intellects, which really aren't that great of a value. But even those are damage-dealing spells with the Flamewakers and they can pump the Wyrms up too. Control isn't usually much of an issue in the early game because between the Wyrms, the Flamewakers, and the cheap clearance/freezing spells. But it is critical to get those minions behind the Shield Bearers, Mirror Images or Annoy-o-Trons because reasonably experienced players will fall over themselves to get them off the table before the explosions start. Flamestrike is a late-game failsafe that can nuke a table full of 5-6 body minions with some help from the Kobolds or Soot Spewers.

The Auctioneer has been rarely useful dropping at 6, but one day he will be.

More
02 Jun 2015 12:54 #203253 by jeb
Yeah, Flamewaker is a party. The deck is fragile--a little disruption to the trifecta (Wyrm, Apprentice, Waker) and you can get humped. Maybe less so for you with more minions. I would swap Shieldbearer for Clockwork Gnome though. Here's my build of the same idea:
Arcane Missiles x1
Mirror Image x2
Clockwork Gnome x1 (Spare Part, and makes them briefly think I might be Mech Mage)
Mana Wyrm x2
Flamecannon x2
Frostbolt x2
Unstable Portal x2
Sorcerer's Apprentice x2
Arcane Intellect x2
Counterspell x1
Duplicate x1 (boners when Waker gets duped)
Flamewaker x2
Echo of Medivh x1
Fireball x2
Polymorph x1 (boners when Polymorph-into-Waker power kills something huge)
Azure Drake x2
Blizzard x1
Toshley xL (Spare Parts)
Flamestrike x1
Pyroblast x1

More
02 Jun 2015 13:53 #203260 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Hm. I like that list (remember that MB may not be packing enough dust for a legendary (Toshley) and two epics (Pyro and Echo) plus the rares) but I've been running a couple Snowchuggers and a Jeeves for both weapon control for more draw, as the deck tends to empty its hand right quick. It works off and on, but I don't play it that much. (Speaking of weapon control, was doing a quest with Ramp Druid yesterday. Face Hunter is on the weenie charge and I controlled the Gnome with Shapeshift, the next one with Coined Keeper, the Wolfrider with second Keeper, and then he Glaives and doesn't attack for some reason... right into the museum for two cards...)

MB, if you're going to go the spellpower route, remember that it's beneficial to play them in concert with spells so that you can get full effect, as most opponents won't let them live long enough to make use of, if they can prevent it. That game last night was a perfect example. Even if you have to pass doing next to nothing on turn 8, a Kobold-enhanced Flamestrike on 9 was far more useful, as it would have cleared his board and left him with, IIRC, 2 cards in hand. Doing it the turn before not only left two guys on the board with one health, but let him follow up with another Yeti and put you behind the 8-ball.

BTW, Jeb, I've been toying around occasionally with a Dragon Priest list that does away with the Faeries I dislike so much, but still remains pretty dragon-oriented.
Light of the Naaru x2
PWS x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Twilight Whelp x2
SWP x2 (Tech! Few people use it these days.)
Shrinkmeister x1
Blackwing Technician x2 (the only class where this card is really kind of decent.)
Dark Cultist x2
Velen's Chosen x2
Dragonkin Sorcerer x2
Shadow Madness x1
Azure Drake x2
Blackwing Corruptor x2
Holy Nova x1
Cabal Shadow Priest x1
Drakonid Crusher x2
Chromaggus x1
Ysera x1

It's missing my beloved Lightbombs but the Crushers are turning out to be really useful 6-drops, strangely enough. It's almost like they knew what they were doing. Meister, Whelps, Pains, Cultists, Technicians all handle early aggro, then the hammers arrive. Not bad. Still favor the Mechs more.

More
02 Jun 2015 14:39 #203267 by jeb
I was just remarking that the Mage deck can go a lot of ways--the frame is Wyrm/Apprentice/Waker--you can dress it how you like. On the ladder, I think the presumption is Antonidas as a finisher, which I don't have access to. My only recommendation to Mike was to think about Spare Parts as a source of cheap pewpews.

As for your Priest list, I like it. I think I want to top out at Crusher. I have a Chromaggus and a Nefarian in mine, but they are too slow. I don't have Ysera--I bet she's fine. I would consider dropping Chromaggus for Lightbomb though--you need a good answer to Reginald K. Boom, Ph.D.

More
02 Jun 2015 15:37 #203271 by Jackwraith
A lot of people rave about Nefarian, but I don't see it, personally. Ysera has always been solid, if a little slow, but that's not an issue for this deck (Priest, big slow dudes, Light of the Naaru, etc.) I think the advantage of having the Chromag and Ysera is generally having more dragons to activate what needs it. My other concern about Faerie Dragon in Priest is that it encourages you to play it soon or on curve, which means it's not in your hand for the Technician. There's no way to drop the big dogs before turn 7 at the earliest, so they end up being "dead cards" that serve a purpose.

More
02 Jun 2015 16:42 #203275 by jeb
We can disagree, it's the Internet! It's so good against Mage and Druid. So good.

Anyway, I tweaked Erasmus a little . Swapping out a SW:D for a SW:P and moved Boom and Thaurissan to 2x Draconid Crusher. I think this will be better in the 20-15 range. I might switch back when I get deeper and it's Druids for days.

Suppose I got a Cabal Shadow Priest. What comes out for that? A Shadow Madness?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
02 Jun 2015 20:03 - 02 Jun 2015 20:07 #203286 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: We can disagree, it's the Internet! It's so good against Mage and Druid. So good.

Oh, sure. And, believe me, I'm not passing judgment. If the Faeries are working for you, they're working. Likewise, Nefarian. Unless I've piloted Dragon Priest to top 10 legend, I'm not going to criticize card choices and, really, not even then, since so much of the game right now is playstyle.

jeb wrote: Anyway, I tweaked Erasmus a little . Swapping out a SW:D for a SW:P and moved Boom and Thaurissan to 2x Draconid Crusher. I think this will be better in the 20-15 range. I might switch back when I get deeper and it's Druids for days.

Suppose I got a Cabal Shadow Priest. What comes out for that? A Shadow Madness?

I think one Madness is probably enough. My Priest is in there mostly to combo with the Meister and he's in there largely to help the curve against aggro (and save a Technician here or there.) Even so, I might yank both of them for another Nova. Ugh. Ran into an aggro Priest deck today who would have been wrecked by a Nova, but couldn't draw it and couldn't get the lizards down fast enough.

Went back to Hobnail . Decided I wanted more on the back end, so out came the Avenge and Aldor and in went a BoK and Leeroy (Jennnnkins!) The Blood Knight is still working wonders. There are just a lot of bubbles out there these days, so I'm not even needing to pop mine most of the time. Best game was against a Shaman. It's his turn 6. I have Annoy-o without bubble, 2 dudes, and an Owl in play against his silenced Stoneclaw, Wrath of Air, and Searing. It's 30-14 and I have the Coin, Jeeves, Blood Knight, 2 Wisps, and Leeroy in hand.
He plays Fire Elemental and kills the Annoy-o. Searing Totem kills the Owl. He has six cards in hand.
I draw Hobgoblin, play him, Wisp, Wisp, Coin, Jeeves. Both dudes hit face. 2/3, 3/3, 3/3, 1/1, 1/1, 3/6 vs his 6/5 and two totems. 30-12. Jeeves draws me the other Hobgoblin.
Turn 7:
He topdecks Flametongue Totem. He plays it between the two totems and follows with Molten Giant(!) and MCT, who steals the Hobgoblin. The Elemental kills Jeeves and the two totems take out one of the Wisps. So, I'm looking at 23 damage next turn (8/2 FE and 4/3 Hob) if he ignores the board. I only have 5 damage on the board and Leeroy in hand. I'm one short.
I topdeck Knife Juggler. I have the mana and I've got nothing else to do. Play the Juggler. Play Leeroy. The knife has a 1 in 6 chance... and hits him. The rest pile in and Leeroy finishes. Who's the baddest ?!
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 20:07 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
02 Jun 2015 20:33 - 02 Jun 2015 20:34 #203287 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
OK, so here's the Paladin deck I'm 3-2 with tonight. The highlight was when I demolished a priest who couldn't get past my Sludge Belcher to clear my Knife Juggler, and on the next turn I summoned my second Knife Juggler and played Muster for Battle. Anyway, it's a nerfed midrange netdeck that's missing the Coghammer and Quartermaster. I didn't modify it after building it last night and it's worked fairly well so far:

Avenge x2
Zombie Chow
Equality
Ironbeak Owl
Knife Juggler x2
Shielded Minibot x2
Muster for Battle x2
Aldor Peacekeeper x2
Shattered Sun Cleric
Truesilver Champion x2
Blessing of Kings x2
Consecration x2
Defender of Argus
Piloted Shredder x2
Antique Healbot
Loatheb
Sludge Belcher x2
Guardian of Kings
Kel'Thuzad
Tirion Fordring

I'm thinking of dropping the Zombie Chow, I don't know if Kel'Thuzad is worth it, and I'm not sure I need the Shattered Sun Cleric or the second Blessing of Kings (but I love me some buffs). I'm also not convinced I need two Consecrations and right now I'm light in the 3 slot and heavy in the 4, with 9 cards. Thoughts?
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 20:34 by SebastianBludd.

More
03 Jun 2015 00:33 #203301 by Jackwraith
Zombie Chow is the card that aggro decks hate to see most on turn 1, because it basically blunts their attack and, in the case of Hunter, may do so for more than one turn. I'd keep it, unless Hunters have suddenly abandoned the ladder. You're actually OK in the 3 slot, as you have 5 cards which range from good (Cleric) to amazing (Aldor, Muster.) I'd consider trading out one BoK for another Defender. KT is kinda "meh" in this deck, especially if you like the buffing playstyle, since he doesn't return them with the buffs. If you want another big guy and don't have the good doctor, I'd consider Nefarian or Sylvanus, if you have her. Considering the amount of aggro in the environment now, keeping the second Consec isn't even a question, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
03 Jun 2015 12:56 - 03 Jun 2015 13:01 #203337 by jeb
WIld speculation: they are going to get rid of the Hunter Hero.

us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/195348...ious-patron-6-3-2015

This is a new Hero, and if you look at the border: No Rexxar.

//edit: Or Garrosh, but I think this is a skin for Warrior?
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 13:01 by jeb.

More
03 Jun 2015 14:23 #203342 by Jackwraith
That's the Warrior symbol (the sword.) I'm betting that they're putting new identities in for the various classes, so you'll be able to play someone other than Garrosh, Malfurion, Jaina, etc. There's no way they'd just dump an entire class and one that's a staple of both this game and WoW.

More
03 Jun 2015 14:49 #203345 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Hearthstone Players!
The old WoW CCG had multiple heroes per class. That really opened things up. I would love that here.

More
03 Jun 2015 15:36 #203346 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: WIld speculation: they are going to get rid of the Hunter Hero.

"In world news tonight, a massive shitfit shut down the Internet following an announcement by popular software developer Blizzard, as millions of so-called 'Face Hunters" collectively lost they fuckin' minds..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
03 Jun 2015 16:41 #203347 by jeb

Jackwraith wrote: That's the Warrior symbol (the sword.) I'm betting that they're putting new identities in for the various classes, so you'll be able to play someone other than Garrosh, Malfurion, Jaina, etc. There's no way they'd just dump an entire class and one that's a staple of both this game and WoW.

A MAN CAN DREAM, JACKWRAITH! {sob}
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds