October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
07 Aug 2015 16:53 #208133 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Costs 4 though. Also: my Harrison Jones stock is rising. Have they clarified if it's
  1. Hunter Hero Power (hits the Hero only)
  2. Shadow Priest Hero Power (hits whereever you aim it)
  3. Shitts Ragnaros Hero Power (hits random opponent?)
I could see this replacing Doomhammer in some aggro builds though--the Mech Shaman for example would do all right with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2015 00:15 #208165 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
The wording is identical to Shadow Form (aside from doubling up), so I presume "Deal 2 damage" means "Deal 2 damage".

Harrison Jones also is just going to activate that Deathrattle even faster. Seems like a no-brainer for a Shaman to include this, just to escape the RNG.

More
09 Aug 2015 15:42 #208188 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Correct. "Deal 2 damage" is what it says. If it doesn't specify either minion or player, it's universal. And Shaman still doesn't have a ton of great 4 drops, other than Destroyer, so this will fill one of those slots nicely. It provides a different avenue if you don't want to play totems and still provides an angle for Inspire decks. This is a control Shaman card if I've ever seen one.

More
11 Aug 2015 19:40 #208336 by Jackwraith

Control. Shaman. FTW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Aug 2015 13:07 - 12 Aug 2015 14:31 #208366 by jeb
Yeah, Jousting as a mechanic is there to beat SMOrc decks. This card is a SMOrc killer no matter what kind of Shaman deck you play. You can run this in Mech Shaman over, say, Doomhammer until you get to Rank 5, then swap it out for something better in the "Let's-agree-to-hold-10-cards-each-before-playing-anything" ranks.

I am really impressed the with design/development team here because it's a solid solution to low-interaction decks without just nerfing aggressive cards. Much healthier for the game without taking anything away.

//Tavern Brawl Update
It's a re-visit of the Great Summoner Competition--every time you cast a spell (minions are not spells, weapons are not spells) you summon a random minion of the same cost (without Battlecry).

I think Paladin is the way to go here. You have access to a ton of quality cheap spells that buff minions (e.g., Blessing of Might, Blessing of Wisdom) and a lot of good card draw to get to the few actual minions you have to avoid stall. Here's my first rev:

1x Avenge
2x Blessing of Might
1x Blessing of Wisdom
2x Noble Sacrifice
1x Redemption
2x Seal of Light
2x Divine Favor
2x Muster for Battle
2x Truesilver Champion
2x Blessing of Might
2x Consecration
2x Hammer of Wrath
2x Solemn Vigil (could be cut, kind of underwhelming)
2x Holy Wrath (Hilarious)
1x Avenging Wrath

2x Echoing Ooze
2x Knife Juggler
2x Mad Scientist

If I had the cards, I would dump Solemn Vigil for Lay on Hands and/or another Avenging Wrath. (Dumped it already for Holy Wrath.) Played a Priest in my first round and he just couldn't keep up. At one point I scored an Auchenai Soulpriest and he thought he'd be tricky by using Shadow Madness on it to kill a 4/6 Target Dummy and the Priest, but Noble Sacrifice completely screwed that plan up, netting me an Avenge in the process that buffed a now massive Target Dummy. And I got my Soulpriest back. I debated casting Divine Favor for 0 cards, as I was unlikely to have fewer cards than this Priest. Crazy game.

Game 2 against a Paladin who got obliterated by my Secret synergies.

Game 3 against another Priest using the same style deck as Game 1 (Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision, &c). Again, couldn't keep up with my cool tricks. Best moment of this match was a tough play for me at 6 mana. Facing down a 4/4 Questing Adventurer and a Whirling Zap-o-matic. I have Consecrate, Knife Juggler, and Hammer of Wrath for impactful cards. I could KJ, then Consecrate to ensure the death of the Zap-o-matic, and maybe get a poke on the Questing. Then maybe Hammer could mop up next turn if things work out. I feel like Questing is more dangerous in this situation though, given how fast it will grow, so I decide to gamble and KJ then Hammer it, hoping that the juggle pokes it. KJ lands, I play Hammer, out pops an Ogre Magi, which makes the Hammer deal 4 (juggle hits face, but who cares). What a time to be alive. Priest Smites the KJ, arranges for Velen to Chose the Zap-o-matic, hits me for 10, and makes a little guy by stealthing his Zap-o-matic. Leaves the Ogre Magi there! I deal 3 with Consecrate to mash his board, and the Zap-o-matic has to run into a Taunt--or rather, a Noble Sac dude and gets killed the next turn. Tide turned and I won in a romp.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2015 14:31 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Jackwraith

More
12 Aug 2015 14:57 #208378 by Jackwraith
Totally swiping that deck to finish my 3(!) Paladin quests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Aug 2015 15:39 - 12 Aug 2015 16:35 #208379 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I like RNG Tavern Brawls, and I like Constructed, but I do not like them together. Sorry, Jeb, I dislike them so much that I couldn't be bothered to construct a deck and so I just copied yours wholesale as closely as I could match it. Thanks for the list. ;)

I just beat a Rogue with it after he decided that flooding the board with weenies while I had Consecrate (because you have to assume I'm holding it the same way you assume a Mage is holding Flamestrike or a Warrior has Death's Bite and Fiery War Axe) was a good idea. He was running two Oils so after he went face with his Oiled weapon to reduce my health to the teens I cleared his board so my Avenging Wrath went face for 8 to get his health a little lower than mine. After the next turn I had firm board control and he was at 5 health. On his next turn he went through all kinds of contortions including another Oil (to my face for 10) and trying to kill my guys but it was too late; between my Silver Hand Knight, Knife Juggler (to clear his only taunt) and my remaining Truesilver charge I barely had enough for lethal. I put Tirion in my deck on a lark, but unfortunately he RNG'd a Black Knight right before he Vanished, so Tirion sat in my hand the rest of the game.

Edit: LOL, LET'S ALL STEAL JEB'S DECK!
Last edit: 12 Aug 2015 16:35 by SebastianBludd.

More
12 Aug 2015 18:28 #208397 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, this is not gonna be my favorite Brawl, I think.

I threw a bunch of Warlock spells into a deck, along with a couple of Floating Watcher and Voidwalkers (because I included the demon-buffs).

Destroyed a Mage in the first game, just by trading direct damage back and forth for a while, then my card advantage became board advantage and it was over. Got eaten up in the second game with some crap minions. Don't even remember the opponent. Might have been a Pally.

Warlock is my only quest right now, so another game of this and I'll go back to ranked for a while, I guess. Until the Paladin quests return, then I'm STEALING JEB'S DECK!

More
12 Aug 2015 18:34 - 12 Aug 2015 18:35 #208398 by Jackwraith
STEALING JEB'S DECK worked pretty well. I'd probably drop the Redemption. I also added another Avenging Wrath, since I think that list is only 29 cards, even with two Holy Wrath. The cool thing about the Brawl mechanic is that the summon happens first, so if you get an Ogre Mage, you're Consecrating for 3. Or if you get a Mana Wyrm from a secret, he's a 2/3 already (got mine up to a 7/1 against a Rogue who somehow attacked something else midway through the game.) I went 5-2, finishing my 3 quests (cool 160 gold.) This was a pretty fun one. Back to the quest for Thrall in Heroes (I have 3200 gold. Only 6800 more to go...)
Last edit: 12 Aug 2015 18:35 by Jackwraith.

More
12 Aug 2015 19:27 #208401 by jeb

Jackwraith wrote: STEALING JEB'S DECK worked pretty well. I'd probably drop the Redemption. I also added another Avenging Wrath, since I think that list is only 29 cards, even with two Holy Wrath. The cool thing about the Brawl mechanic is that the summon happens first, so if you get an Ogre Mage, you're Consecrating for 3. Or if you get a Mana Wyrm from a secret, he's a 2/3 already (got mine up to a 7/1 against a Rogue who somehow attacked something else midway through the game.) I went 5-2, finishing my 3 quests (cool 160 gold.) This was a pretty fun one. Back to the quest for Thrall in Heroes (I have 3200 gold. Only 6800 more to go...)

29 cards? That's weird. But yeah, Avenging Wrath is awesome, do that. Redemption is in there to avoid duped (and thus unplayable) Secrets. Also, I actually got an opponent to Redemption my Mad Scientist, so it was free Secrets for days. This deck really pays off if you think ahead a little bit. Work with the assumption that you'll draw into draw spells and save Oozes for when you can play and buff them.

Another strong option, for folks that don't like Secrets/Paladins, is Druid. Like Paladin, Druid has potent buffs and Savage Roar means they can kill you early if the opponent fails to clear.

2x Innervate
2x Claw
2x Mark of the Wild
2x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Healing Touch
2x Savage Roar
2x Power of the Wild
2x Soul of the Forest
2x Swipe
2x Keeper of the Grove
1x Nourish
2x Starfall
2x Force of Nature
2x Starfire

2x Ironbeak Owl

The only actual minions are Keepers and Owls to Silence taunts when you bust through. You can use Spellbreakers there if lacking. You can easily run on one Force of Nature too, swapping in a Recycle or another Nourish. Ramp up, make tons of dudes, Savage Roar for the win.

More
12 Aug 2015 19:48 - 12 Aug 2015 19:57 #208403 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: 29 cards? That's weird.

FWIW, you also have 4x Blessing of Might listed.

jeb wrote: Work with the assumption that you'll draw into draw spells and save Oozes for when you can play and buff them.

I'm 2-0 with your deck but the Ooze + Buff combo continues to elude me, despite my efforts (i.e., adding 2x Blessing of Kings to try and get the 2x 5/7 Oozes on Turn 6 combo...).
Last edit: 12 Aug 2015 19:57 by SebastianBludd.

More
13 Aug 2015 09:04 #208425 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Hearthstone Players!
I had a lot of fun with a Rogue deck. Lots of kill spells plus prep plus sprint. Oil is kinda sick in this format.

More
13 Aug 2015 09:24 #208427 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Hearthstone Players!
Alright, you guys are smart and stuff.

Why is it that sometimes it seems that a dude can have more than two instances of a particular card in their deck? Huh? Without casting some return to play business. Am I hallucinating?

Anyway, my game name is Repoman.

More
13 Aug 2015 10:08 - 13 Aug 2015 10:12 #208433 by MacDirk Diggler

repoman wrote:
Why is it that sometimes it seems that a dude can have more than two instances of a particular card in their deck? Huh? Without casting some return to play business. Am I hallucinating?

There are spells that can copy minions in play. GANG UP. And minions that give a second copy of cards that are drawn into hand so you draw two of them. CHROMAGGUS.

But ya, you still might be hallucinating. Don't eat the brown acid....
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 10:12 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
13 Aug 2015 11:18 #208436 by jeb
Repo, you gotta send us the whole tag with the # on the end or we can't directly friend request you. RepoMan#????, right? I friended you, saw you at Rank 20. Keep it up, man, it's a blast. There's a ton of good posts in this thread. I should collect up the "New Player Advice" somewhere as a blog post.

Mages can get extra copies of cards from Echo of Medivh and Duplicate too. Echo is how I usually see copies three and four of particularly obnoxious cards.

For what it's worth, this is the decklist for that Paladin deck I messed up a couple of ways:

1x Avenge
2x Blessing of Might
1x Blessing of Wisdom
2x Noble Sacrifice
1x Redemption
2x Seal of Light
2x Divine Favor
2x Muster for Battle
2x Truesilver Champion
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Consecration
2x Hammer of Wrath
2x Holy Wrath
1x Avenging Wrath

2x Echoing Ooze
2x Knife Juggler
2x Mad Scientist

Again, cards that are great but missing include Lay on Hands and another Avenging Wrath.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds