October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Middle Earth CCG

More
30 Jan 2015 15:45 - 30 Jan 2015 15:46 #196548 by Shellhead
Middle Earth CCG was created by Shellhead
A friend of mine is hosting a Middle Earth day at his house tomorrow. He will be showing all three LotR movies back to back, and hosting board games and card games for about two dozen people. The only two games that he mentioned in his invitation are Tichu and Pinochle, which induced such violent eye-rolling that I almost went blind. Fortunately, one guy is bringing the Knizia LotR game and another is bringing War of the Ring.

I'm bringing the pre-made challenge deck set for the Middle Earth CCG. Five wizard deck and five ringwraith decks. I am also bringing the two pre-made Balrog decks and the special MECCG map so that we don't need region cards for region movement. This will be the first time I have played in about 16 years, so I have been studying up on the rules.

Any tips from veteran players? Should we stick to two-player games, or is multi-player still fun? Any weird rules that I need to worry about? These pre-made decks don't have any agent cards, so we don't need to worry about that rules mess.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 15:46 by Shellhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2015 19:36 #196646 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Middle Earth CCG
Shellhead, did you manage to play this?

I did post a reply here but it failed to post =(

More
01 Feb 2015 21:11 #196655 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Middle Earth CCG
I managed to get in a single two-player game. Various people were interested, but attention spans were a problem. Though the movie viewing was going on upstairs, this peculiar house has a big opening cut in the ceiling of the living room where we were playing, with a walkway crossing over the opening to connect the two halves of the upstairs. So it was noisy and distracting.

I played a ringwraith deck that was focused on recruiting evil factions while my opponent played a Radagast deck starring a starting line-up of Legolas, Gimli, and Beorn. That happened to be the same line-up as my very first Middle-Earth deck back in the day, so I knew those three were brutes. My deck was operating in the same south and east regions, so I was constantly worried about getting smacked down by those guys. While my corruption hazards forced an extreme number of corruption checks on Beorn and Radagast, my opponent managed to make them all. Meanwhile, my roving evil diplomats and lackeys got jumped repeatedly. I lost three of guys while the other side had zero casualties.

We called the game early after two hours, because my opponent was struggling with small card text and sub-optimal lighting. We didn't finish within two hours because we had to look up a number of rules. It was okay fun. Middle Earth the CCG does a fantastic job of delivering the setting, because a big part of the game is moving around to different parts of Middle Earth, and the art is very good. However, the combat resolution and other die rolls felt a little flat. Also, the design choices for the ringwraith cards was pretty bad, with black text on purple backgrounds or black text on dark gray backgrounds. Worst of all, the majority of the cards in the game came with a dense paragraph of text, instead of easily-digested modifiers or clean mechanics. Still, I would like to play again soon. With all the interested spectators yesterday, I know at least a few people who would give it a try.

More
02 Feb 2015 02:49 #196676 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Middle Earth CCG
Heh, yeah I was just bitching about the text/background on here recently. It's terrible. And wordy, like you said. One of my pet peeves would be how they always put "(or draw a #)". What a waste.

Having pre-made decks is a good idea for re-learning. I threw together some random crap and tried to play and it was terrible. Coming back to the game after so long and having access to so many cards was daunting. And I don't even have a full collection.

How big is your collection?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds