October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone for Beginners

More
04 Apr 2016 08:50 #225168 by Legomancer
Got all the basic cards, built a Mage deck (one of my quests was mage or priest victories) and got two wins under ranked. I now have a bunch of gold. What best to do with it? Arena?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 08:58 #225170 by Mantidman
Replied by Mantidman on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I would stash some of the gold away for purchasing packs when the new expansion comes out.
You could also purchase any of the adventures that you haven't already acquired.
Arena has never held much of a draw for me, but I know that many enjoy it and can make it work.

More
04 Apr 2016 11:36 #225181 by metalface13

Black Barney wrote: Download Magic Duels for free and play that, yo.

I love you

I can't play it on my iPad 2 :sob :sob :sob :sob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Apr 2016 12:28 #225191 by airmarkus
Replied by airmarkus on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I think your best bet with gold right now would be either playing Arena or buying Classic packs. The game is changing in a big way sometime this month or early may where cards are being rotated out and they ranked play will be splitting into two formats. Wild format will allow any and all cards released to be played, while the Standard format will be much more limited. Since you are working with a small card pool right now, I'm of the opinion that the Classic packs are the best thing to pick up because there are so many cards that are going to remain useful and playable in Standard and you may not want to play in the Wild format. If Wild does sound appealing though, get the GVG packs or the adventures because you won't be able to purchase them once the new formats are introduced, but I think you will be able to craft them which would take forever with dust. Probably not worth focusing on as a beginning player at this stage. Arena is a great way to get packs, dust and/or gold while seeing a lot of cards you might not have for a while. I'm biased though because drafting is my favorite way to play any of these types of games.

Hope that helps.

More
05 May 2016 17:13 #227049 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I've updated the Level 10 Druid deck hosted at Hearthpwn . It's only commons and basics, costing 800 dust for someone brand new to HS. It's not going to make you #1 on the Ladder or anything, but it'll get you to Rank 20 (cardback!) and teach you some important concepts about the game. I'll be updating Hunter, Paladin, and Warrior decks soon. I might actually retire one and switch to Shaman, given the cardpool in Standard.

Still a great time to start playing Hearthstone. You get three free packs, a Legendary (C'Thun) and a couple of C'Thun enablers just for showing up in the next week or so (til May 12th?)

More
06 May 2016 08:17 #227079 by Legomancer
Ended up deleting it again. I just can't make myself care about it. As I just said in the Destiny thread, I'm not good enough to play against other people and I don't care enough about it to spend the time to get better.

More
06 May 2016 10:23 #227097 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic Hearthstone for Beginners

Legomancer wrote: Ended up deleting it again. I just can't make myself care about it. As I just said in the Destiny thread, I'm not good enough to play against other people and I don't care enough about it to spend the time to get better.

I just like playing. I don't care to climb the ladder, I go up & down but never been higher than 16. The joy I get is building decks out of the stuff I find or, if I see something that looks cool, I might craft it & build a deck around it (Dreadsteeds! Shiny!). It's how I enjoy it.

Thanks for starting the thread, it's helpful to me in a way that the other one is not. And if you come back and want to play against someone who isn't very good, I'm always here. :)

ds3272#1519
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gregarius, Mantidman

More
06 May 2016 10:55 #227098 by jeb
I'm the same way to some degree--I think my highest ever rank was 9. Maybe 10? Somewhere around there. I think I have the play skills to go higher, but it would mean playing some really tuned (read: boring) decks and grinding for hours on a 55% win rate. No thanks.

I feel like Arena is a shark tank, damn. I went in twice in the last week and 1-3'd both times on decent decks. (Rogue & Paladin). Curve was fine, I came out OK and still just got demolished. Anyone else experiencing this, or was I just unlucky... 6 times out of 8? :(

More
06 May 2016 11:24 #227103 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I haven't played Arena in months. I'll give it a few more tries, since I'm cycling gold for packs right now anyway.

However, I definitely remember it being pretty toothy at times.

I generally run up to about 15 before I stop caring. Now that everything has changed I doubt I'll get that far for a while.

More
06 May 2016 12:12 #227106 by Mantidman
My highest rank was 14. I just enjoy playing and putting together fun decks.
Currently running a Warlock "Ten Tickles" deck... just lots of tentacles and
Demons and Sea Giants.
I still like running my all greenskin and weapon "Waaagh" deck in Wild until
Games Workshop sends me a cease and desist order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 May 2016 12:16 #227109 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I haven't played Arena in ages. Too tense. I like doing the quests and fiddling with my decks. I have friend requests since I posted my info, which I suppose are from you guys. Don't hesitate to suggest a game while I'm on, though I'm much more likely to say yes if it's U.S. east coast evening time.

More
06 May 2016 12:31 #227112 by Mantidman
Friend request sent from
Mantidman#1912
In central time zone, usually on in the evenings.
Good Luck!

More
06 May 2016 14:31 #227128 by jeb
Nice! I love goofing off with folks in Casual games. I think I am already Blizzard Buddies with everyone on here. I still have yet to overlap with Jackwraith on HotS, but it'll happen. Challenge me anytime. I won't play some crazy intense deck on you, don't worry. It'll probably involve some wonky combo that'll be statistically great (PRAISE YOGG) if/when it happens.

I think I might poke around in Wild some. I heard it's wall-to-wall Secret Paladin in there, so Control Priest should dominate. I miss Lightbomb desperately.

I did update my Warrior Combo and Aggro Paladin beginner decks, too. Again, these are aimed at folks that just unlocked the Basic cards and want to make it to Rank 20. They won't really stand up much longer than that without a run of luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D_S

More
06 May 2016 17:20 #227158 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
I just got back on a few weeks ago after giving it up last year. I really enjoy playing the game, but I get frustrated and tired of constantly being flayed by my opponents. Recently, I go up against players who just play Legendary after Legendary and it feels pointless. It's probably just my bad timing, though; I think the ladder is much harder the first week of each month, but that could just be my imagination.

The highest I ever made it on ladder was 13, maybe 12? But that was a long time ago and I'm getting nowhere these days. The Arena has been especially brutal for me lately as well.

More
06 May 2016 17:31 #227160 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Hearthstone for Beginners
Thanks for the tips (especially about ranked vs casual - I was getting curb stomped by guys with decks full of purple/orange cards in casual, now I'm getting curb stomped in ranked by guys how have the same cards as me but are much better players !). I also figured out I need to have a class at lvl 20 to get into tavern brawl, but I got Gorehowl in a pack today, looks like I'm playing warrior :).

almalik#11347

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds