October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Then this happened - Marvel Champions from FFG

More
31 Jul 2019 21:32 #300313 by trif
Info page

They've also announced a miniatures game Marvel: Crisis Protocol (but there's nothing on the website - I just saw some photos on FB from Gencon.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 21:56 #300314 by DarthJoJo
I watched the abbreviated play in the follow-up stream to the InFlight report. Gameplay looks to rest somewhere between Sentinels of the Multiverse and Heroes of Terrinoth in terms of speed, complexity and style. The deckbuilding is limited and initially the focus will be on single scenarios with a later big box expansion introducing a campaign. Seems alright. I'll be paying attention for reviews, but I'm not looking for a distraction from the Arkham LCG yet.

Not sure what the deal is with that miniatures game. The publisher isn't Fantasy Flight. I think it's Atomic Mass Games, but I can't find any information on them online.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Jul 2019 22:01 #300315 by Gary Sax
Coming here to post this too. It's a blindingly good idea for FFG and Marvel. It will absolutely print money if the game is even halfway accessible and good. I love that it's LCG format, how many bullshit blind buy superhero things have there been?

Also I don't give a fuck, but I don't watch many of the Marvel movies either.

More
31 Jul 2019 22:06 #300316 by Michael Barnes
Other than the Marvel stuff, it seems like they just C&Ped their presentation from last year. At one time, FFG was an innovative and industry leading company. Now they are heading into Steve Jackson levels of decline.

Fuck both of these Marvel games, speaking as a Marvel fan. LCG with birthday party invitation illustrations or another miniatures game to invest in...no thanks to either.

Oh but hey, there is ANOTHER new version of Arkhan Horror...this time the hook is that it’s short!

Keyforge RPG, LOL...Winter Sale 2020 all the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
31 Jul 2019 22:21 - 31 Jul 2019 22:25 #300317 by Gary Sax
Is that right? I find it so weird that Marvel doesn't license their comic images, but I guess that woudl require lots of negotiations with individual artists and creators so maybe it makes sense.

This is one of those times I can't square your lack of excitement for this with your intense level of excitement for shit like SW: Destiny, Barnes. If anything, I think this is an even better idea since it's coop in the superhero genre. And again, I'm not even likely to buy it or anything.

edit: oh woof, I just looked at their sample cards and the page header. Hulk looks like a fucking idiot in the header, and look how shitty the image for "Underground Distribution" is.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 22:25 by Gary Sax.

More
31 Jul 2019 22:30 #300318 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: Is that right? I find it so weird that Marvel doesn't license their comic images, but I guess that woudl require lots of negotiations with individual artists and creators so maybe it makes sense.

That's exactly why it doesn't happen. Many comics creators have royalty schedules built into their contracts. If their work is used, they get compensated. That's why Marvel and DC use stock images for most of their merchandising stuff.

More
01 Aug 2019 00:52 #300321 by san il defanso
I'm sure this will make a lot of money for them, though I'm not very interested in another serialized purchase at this point. I do kind of wish they could actually just theme this after the MCU instead of generic Marvel. I might actually be more interested then.

More
01 Aug 2019 06:57 #300324 by mtagge
Looks like Sentinels of the Multiverse. Whatever. Not a game I'd ever by into the physical copy, but I wouldn't mind an iOS version. And I'm a HUGE FFG fan.

More
01 Aug 2019 10:46 - 01 Aug 2019 10:46 #300345 by Ah_Pook
It seems like fast arkham horror is what they should have released instead of 3rd edition (aka AHLCG The Board Game). I think people are going to about it after 3rd edition fizzled, but who knows.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 10:46 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
01 Aug 2019 20:53 #300379 by Michael Barnes
So...somehow this for out-crapped by MARVEL SPLENDOR.

MARVEL SPLENDOR.

I liked Splendor...but is there any better way to say “this game is utterly meaningless and pointless so we can accept a dump truck full of money to replace the illustrations and logos with IP”?

More
01 Aug 2019 20:59 #300380 by hotseatgames
Ohhhhhhh... when I saw people talking about Marvel Splendor, I thought they were joking.

More
02 Aug 2019 14:57 #300418 by jpat
I'll probably pass on this. I have Legendary and a few different expansions, and while I that game and, especially, its card design could be significantly improved on, I don't think I need another branch of largely the same tree.

I get the critique of the soft-focus computery box art/page header, but the card art seems not that much more varied than UD produced for Legendary Marvel. The Hulk card does seem bad--I have no idea what's going on in it--and the tokens and such look jejune, but the card design is definitely better that Legendary's (who decided to put a thin yellow font against a varied background and then stick with it?) and the art seems (looks around) generally OK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
02 Aug 2019 15:45 - 02 Aug 2019 15:45 #300421 by Shellhead
Oddly enough, for many years Marvel couldn't publish a comic titled Champions, even though they did so for 17 issues in the mid-'70s. Hero Games came out with a Champions rpg a few years later, and Marvel didn't care enough to object. Many years later, when Marvel finally wanted to bring that team back or at least use the name again, Hero Games had the name locked down thanks to trademark squatting.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2019 15:45 by Shellhead.

More
04 Aug 2019 10:07 #300458 by Gary Sax
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/a-champions-tools/

Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Look at the monstrous, ABOMINABLE art of the Black Panther mat. I'd be embarrassed to sell it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett, Vysetron

More
07 Aug 2019 14:57 #300527 by cdennett

Gary Sax wrote: www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/a-champions-tools/

Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Look at the monstrous, ABOMINABLE art of the Black Panther mat. I'd be embarrassed to sell it.

Hey, but at least Captain Marvell is smiling.

Ugh..

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds