October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Get ready for Magic The Gathering 40k Edition! LOL, they're actually doing it.

More
25 Feb 2021 16:41 #319729 by jason10mm
More importantly (to me at least) is that someone from WOTC and GW are on speaking terms, so are we gonna see WOTC adapt WH40k into DnD or one of the other rpg systems they have (hmmmm, DOES wotc have any other rpg systems, did they inherit all the TSR games?).

Same with the Tolkien estate. A middle-earth big box for 5e seems like a natural blockbuster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2021 16:58 #319731 by themothman421
Fria Ligan is currently kickstarting a re-done version of The One Ring RPG system. Somewhere in the description for said kickstarter they said they would have news about republishing the 5e-compatible Adventures in Middle Earth system "soon" - so I think LOTR RPGs are already accounted for.

40k is in a similar situation, in that GW already licensed out Warhammer Fantasy, Age of Sigmar, and 40k to Cubicle 7, who is actively working on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th ed, Soulbound and Wrath & Glory for those 3 IPs, respectively. Granted, none of those are based on 5e, so GW could still have some blood left in the turnip to squeeze.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
25 Feb 2021 18:29 - 25 Feb 2021 18:42 #319745 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: I think people are overreacting if they think it's the big game, horrible, authenticity killing thing. That kind of reaction smacks of real Gamer Rage to me. The lore of Magic is not that singular or important and it's already a multiverse setup so it'll all slip into place.

The lore of Magic but not be the best but it's not a kitchen sink where you can drop Funko Pops, either.

Seriously, I don't think one needs to be a "real Gamer" or whatever to oppose adding Warhammer, The Walking Dead and a bunch of other franchise nonsense into one of the most influential games ever made. Think about all the people who play and love the game and now are getting ads fired into their hobby. How would you feel if your eurogames and Ameritrash titles became covered in whatever Hasbro wanted you to.

Because remember, this shit is tournament legal and can be played at all stores, no matter how casual your group is. If you played Legacy because you loved the history of the game and its very old cards well, now you have to deal with Rick and whatever nonsense fad Hasbro wants. And if you want those cards, you are going to have a hard time. They are going to be released only in specific markets, only in English, are going to be super expensive and only available for a very small window of time. And when the license runs out, they are never gonna be printed again.

This is just more Carcassone Star Wars nonsense. It's artistically bankrupt and a short-term cash grab that will damage Magic long-term. No, thank you.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 18:42 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, Whoshim

More
25 Feb 2021 18:41 - 25 Feb 2021 18:41 #319746 by Erik Twice
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 18:41 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Sacco, Ah_Pook

More
25 Feb 2021 21:02 #319756 by jason10mm
I just imagine some future hellscape of pop culture mash-ups when all these IPs are finally in the public domain :p

Or all owned by Disney...also a hellscape!

More
25 Feb 2021 22:22 #319760 by Shellhead
Fanfic: the Gathering

or

FOMO: the Gathering

More
25 Feb 2021 22:46 #319763 by dysjunct
“Hey, do you want to play Magic?”

“The card game? Heard of it, never played.”

“Well, you’re a planeswalker — a mage who travels through any of the infinite planes of existence.”

“Cool! So can I travel to a plane where Star Wars or 40k is a thing?”

“STOP RAPING MY CHILDHOOD REEEEEEEE”
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
26 Feb 2021 10:03 - 26 Feb 2021 10:03 #319783 by Sagrilarus

. . . and stories that are cherished by millions of fans around the world.

Another English major shakes her head in shame at what she has to do to pay off her $100k student loan.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 10:03 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Mar 2021 17:36 #319894 by rocketkiwi
For what it's worth, I had a 40k player come into the store and ask me about this less than three hours after it was announced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Mar 2021 17:38 #319895 by Gary Sax
I'd rather play 40k themed Magic if I had to choose!!!

More
01 Mar 2021 19:28 - 01 Mar 2021 19:36 #319899 by Jexik
I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere on the internet, but... Thoughts on color pie for the factions?

Chaos is broadly RB, with maybe Tzeentch adding blue to that mix. Nurgle might be BG. Honestly, the only color that seems categorically "out" for Chaos is White.

Space Orks gotta be Mono-red (and it makes them go fasta). Although Black and White checkers often appear in the art, and Mardu colors almost make sense...

The Space Marines are probably RW, that combo seems to usually be the most militaristic. Although with Ultramarines being painted blue, it seems kinda weird not to use blue at all.

Tyranids seem Jund to me. (BRG)

Tau are probably Esper colors. (BUW)

Eldar are kind of tricky to me. Elves are almost always Green in typical magic, but Eldar are pretty different and probably need some Red in there. Maybe Temur? (RUG)

It has been a long time since I've played 40k (over 20 years ago)... so I'm kind of forgetting what else is out there.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2021 19:36 by Jexik.

More
02 Mar 2021 08:34 #319915 by the_jake_1973
I think the Eldar colors may be based around Craftworlds. It would be hard to reason out why a Fire Dragon would be anything other than a red mana. They could probably do that with Chapter Houses as well.

From what little I know about Commander mode, the 40K IP looks to be tailored to it. It would be tempting to play with a IP pure deck in Magic. That being said, I ducked out of the game in the mid 90s and have only briefly cast longing glances at it. Then I remember that I don't care for deck building. lol

More
02 Mar 2021 08:55 #319917 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: I'd rather play 40k themed Magic if I had to choose!!!

40K has the grimmest art in gaming as far as I'm concerned. Best guess is this will just be new art for existing cards, right? The only difference will be images and flavor text?

All I'm saying is that the printer is going to need to buy black and gray ink by the truckload.

More
02 Mar 2021 09:43 #319920 by Matt Thrower

ChristopherMD wrote: So regular players aren't interested and former players aren't interested. That only leaves new players as the target audience. But LotR isn't exactly an underused IP in gaming and of course neither is 40K so not sure how the IP's themselves will grab anyone considering other games are custom made for them. Are these sets just for collectors?

I'm a former player and I'm vaguely interested, but it'll depend on how the whole scene shakes out. I can see these being fun if played as * self-contained expansions* i.e. you make a deck with only LotR cards or only 40k cards. Before I'd be willing to pick up some cards, I'd need to know that there are other players around willing to approach it in the same way. Which is doubtful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
02 Mar 2021 09:49 #319921 by Jexik
Like a lot of products, I think you'll see people use them in a variety of ways.

Like other commander products, people might just keep the deck as is and play it that way for awhile.

Some might try putting the cards in their best commander decks possible similar to how the Un sets were a bit ago, before whatever ruling body decides they can't or shouldn't be used in Commander anymore.

They'll probably be legal in Legacy and Pauper, which is where some of the prices will get stupid and likely piss off some players.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds