October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Let's Talk: Dead CCGs

More
18 Feb 2022 16:27 #330906 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs

Virabhadra wrote: Showing my age a bit here (35), I was old enough to understand Magic but too young to have disposable income for it. I had a handful of Mirage-block cards (Banding, woo!), but I lived in a really small town, we weren't allowed to play in school, and my younger brother was just too little to care. I played a lot more of it in the form of draft and duel decks as an adult.

Banding. You need to put a trigger warning up there before you type shit like that. :) A creature with Banding would bring sealed deck games to a complete halt.

One I haven't seen yet: Bella Sara . My daughter loved horses, so these showed up at the house. I don't recall the rules, but IIRC they were at least as convoluted as Magic, back when mana sources and interrupts were still in the rules*.

*may not actually be true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2022 16:40 #330910 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs

RobertB wrote: Banding. You need to put a trigger warning up there before you type shit like that. :) A creature with Banding would bring sealed deck games to a complete halt.

Well, sealed games should never be played, anyway. But, seriously, I agree. Banding had often torturous rules interactions. Even worse than Phasing(!), although the frustration caused by the latter was part of the joy of playing Draw-Go in Mirage block with a Rainbow Efreet...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Virabhadra

More
18 Feb 2022 21:07 #330916 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs

Jackwraith wrote:

RobertB wrote: Banding. You need to put a trigger warning up there before you type shit like that. :) A creature with Banding would bring sealed deck games to a complete halt.

Well, sealed games should never be played, anyway.

Counterpoint: Dreamblade sealed might be the best way to play the game. I will mail dice, the map, and two players' worth of miniatures to anybody willing to front shipping. It's that good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, reapersaurus

More
22 Feb 2022 13:55 #330979 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs
My On The Edge box arrived and it's 1994 all over again over here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, HiveGod

More
25 Feb 2022 10:22 #331061 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs

Legomancer wrote: My On The Edge box arrived and it's 1994 all over again over here.

Thank you for making me feel old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
25 Feb 2022 12:49 #331075 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs
Dead CCGs became my thing at the beginning of the pandemic though I’ve leaned into more modern designs. I have at least partial collections of every Fantasy Flight LCG except Call of Cthulhu. The big names I’ve picked up include Spoils, WARS, Harry Potter and all three of Decipher’s Star Wars games: the CCG, Jedi Knights and even Young Jedi in case my eldest takes a shine to it (though that might require eventually showing him Phantom Menace). And Star Wars Destiny.

As far as the more obscure I have some Need for Speed (but only with a German rule book that I mostly understand), Dune, Fight Klub and Epic Battles.

Anyway, if anyone wants to dump their collections, I’d be interested, especially anything by Decipher. Get in touch. We’ll work something out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars

More
25 Feb 2022 16:18 #331082 by fightcitymayor

DarthJoJo wrote: The big names I’ve picked up include Spoils,

I forgot about The Spoils. It was going to be yet another "Magic killer" (sooooo many Magic killers over the years) focusing on hyper-competitive tournament play. The original run didn't last long, then Arcane Tinmen bought out the original crew at some point after the game had already fizzled. It tried to be irreverent & edgy (I still remember the p0rny resource cards) but that approach during the Obama years was already doomed by the general attitudes of the day, when "Irreverent & edgy" was basically standard issue. It just wasn't the 90's anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
25 Feb 2022 16:35 #331084 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Let's Talk: Dead CCGs
I haven’t played yet, but Spoils looks very solid mechanically. It is embarrassingly juvenile, though. There’s a card where some teenagers are extending their eyeballs to peek into the showers, and another titled “Drive-by Boobing,” if I remember right. There will be some judicious pruning if I get the chance to introduce it to anyone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds