October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Epic TCG

More
18 Mar 2009 13:00 #23793 by sirkerry
Epic TCG was created by sirkerry
Anyone else played Epic TCG yet?

Game play is a bit like Magic with overpowered cards but without mana, oh and the smackdown starts on the first turn. It was quite a bit of fun.

I played it last weekend and ended up buying a whole box of boosters from one of the FLGS that had it in stock as I wanted to play around with deck building, although its quite playable with just 2 booster packs (the game doesn't have starters).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2009 13:25 #23795 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Epic TCG
As I ask with every game compared to Magic. I already have a bunch of Magic cards. So why would I play/buy Epic TCG? Is it better than Magic as a game (i.e. I'm not asking about cost)?

More
18 Mar 2009 13:31 #23797 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Epic TCG
I dunno man, with a logo that chintzy and "mojo" as a game term, it doesn't look like it has a good long term prognosis.

Give us a review, we'll put it up on the front page.

More
18 Mar 2009 13:55 #23798 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Epic TCG
Mad Dog wrote:

As I ask with every game compared to Magic. I already have a bunch of Magic cards. So why would I play/buy Epic TCG? Is it better than Magic as a game (i.e. I'm not asking about cost)?

That's what did in THE SPOILS. It's pretty much MAGIC. It's also what distinguishes VS. and UFC--those suckers have cool licenses. The gameplay is basically MAGIC, but sending a Dhalsim Yoga Knee into Voldo's grill is pretty sweet.

More
18 Mar 2009 14:44 #23802 by sirkerry
Replied by sirkerry on topic Re:Epic TCG
Mad Dog wrote:

I honestly don't know if it's a better game then Magic, I haven't played Magic since 94 or so. Nor have I really had any desire to get back into it. For some reason Epic just appealed enough to me to get me to purchase a newly released CCG - something I hadn't done in over a decade.

I just like the gameplay I get out of Epic.

More
18 Mar 2009 14:51 #23805 by sirkerry
Replied by sirkerry on topic Re:Epic TCG
Michael Barnes wrote:

I dunno man, with a logo that chintzy and "mojo" as a game term, it doesn't look like it has a good long term prognosis.

Give us a review, we'll put it up on the front page.

I find the term Mojo quite amusing actually, but yeah the game logo is kinda chintzy. I want to play it some more (especially the different formats it offers) before I attempt to write a review of it.

More
18 Mar 2009 15:13 #23810 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Epic TCG
That website is all of ZERO help in getting a handle on this game. If you have an "About" section that's under construction, why even have the site up? Isn't that where you'd START?

More
18 Mar 2009 15:36 #23815 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Epic TCG
The logo is okay compared to the lousy artwork. And the people behind this are clueless. Without a hot license like Vs, there isn't even a point to publishing a CCG anymore. The overwhelming response will be, "I can't afford to get into another collectible card game." And those that can afford it, seriously need to ask themselves who they will be able to play against. Yes, CCGs made serious money in the '90s, but the gamers have mostly wised up regarding the cost.

More
18 Mar 2009 20:52 #23858 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Epic TCG
Shellhead wrote:

The logo is okay compared to the lousy artwork. And the people behind this are clueless. Without a hot license like Vs, there isn't even a point to publishing a CCG anymore. The overwhelming response will be, "I can't afford to get into another collectible card game." And those that can afford it, seriously need to ask themselves who they will be able to play against. Yes, CCGs made serious money in the '90s, but the gamers have mostly wised up regarding the cost.

Shellhead, are you saying that the artwork for the Epic TCG is lousy? Maybe I'm looking at a different sample set when I click the Demo Decks link and get a 12 page pdf, but I think the artwork is quite nice.

The icons could use a minor upgrade but that is about all I see that could be improved much.

More
19 Mar 2009 09:58 #23884 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Epic TCG
Mr MOTO, maybe I'm spoiled, but there has been some outstanding CCG artwork over the years. Middle Earth, Vampire: the Eternal Struggle, Shadowfist, and especially Legend of the Five Rings in recent years. Sure, not every card is a masterpiece, but there is sufficient body of good artwork that every one of those games stands out as visually appealing. The artwork in this Epic pdf sample just looks like screenshots from average quality PC games. There is a basic technical proficiency, but the overall effect is still a little amateurish.

More
20 Mar 2009 00:53 #23951 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Epic TCG
Shellhead wrote:

Mr MOTO, maybe I'm spoiled, but there has been some outstanding CCG artwork over the years. Middle Earth, Vampire: the Eternal Struggle, Shadowfist, and especially Legend of the Five Rings in recent years. Sure, not every card is a masterpiece, but there is sufficient body of good artwork that every one of those games stands out as visually appealing. The artwork in this Epic pdf sample just looks like screenshots from average quality PC games. There is a basic technical proficiency, but the overall effect is still a little amateurish.

Hmm.. I'd say some of the artwork from a few of the CCGs you mentioned failed to impress me.

Maybe it is the style you dislike more than the quality.

I've seen a lot of shitty CCG artwork in the past and even on the CCG holy grail game (Money: The Pit) which I find ho hum. I can't really see any reason to call the artwork for this game anything close to amateurish.

I would be interested in hearing more about the gameplay of this from the OP though. ;)

More
23 Mar 2009 00:48 #24124 by johnnyrobo
Replied by johnnyrobo on topic Re:Epic TCG
I picked up some packs at the game store, read that you can take any two boosters to make a playable deck, four boosters to make a legal 60 card deck. Reminds me of the battle pack idea with City of Heroes a bit, but w/o the rules (the rules are online, but they gave me the book that came with the box since they had a few).

The guys at the store said that pretty much every card in EPIC is overpowered/broken but therein lies the fun. I'll give it a shot over the next week and see how it plays. I like the idea of grabbing a couple boosters and playing right away.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds