October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Rant: NO non-CCG game "scratches the CCG itch"

More
06 Apr 2009 14:04 #25291 by generalpf
Really, if any company invented a game that truly gave players the enjoyment of a CCG, it would be the biggest thing ever.

Games I've tried that definitely do not scratch the CCG itch despite being advised that they do:
Blue Moon
Jambo
Dominion
Race for the Galaxy

There is nothing so fine on this earth as a CCG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2009 14:30 #25294 by ChristopherMD
I completely agree.

More
06 Apr 2009 14:33 #25295 by Schweig!
What's so special about the game play of an CGG?

More
06 Apr 2009 14:58 #25298 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Rant: NO non-CCG game
Schweig! wrote:

Deck-building, my least favorite aspect of CCGs.

I believe that Armageddon Empires actually seems like a great non-CCG that may scratch the CCG itch.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:04 #25301 by moss_icon
words can't express how much i detest the phrase "scratches my itch for [insert thing you want to do here]".

More
06 Apr 2009 15:08 - 06 Apr 2009 15:09 #25302 by Rliyen
I could recommend MiniMonFa, but the horrible translation and muddy rules would send you into an apoplectic fit. ;)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 15:09 by Rliyen.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:11 - 06 Apr 2009 15:13 #25304 by ChristopherMD
Schweig! wrote:

Its not a matter of CCG's being special or better. Its like wanting to play Chess, but playing a game of Checkers instead. The play experience is different even if I enjoy Checkers more. So Blue Moon, being different to Magic as Chess is to Checkers, can never scratch my CCG itch. Each can be a satisfying game in their own right however. The OP may feel differently about this.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 15:13 by ChristopherMD.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:51 #25306 by generalpf
Replied by generalpf on topic Re:Rant: NO non-CCG game
I think CCGs are better overall than most games (CMGs could apply, too) because of the enormous metagame. There's nothing more satisfying than building a deck out of a concept, tuning it, playing it against other people who are following the same process and then winning. Some of the morons on TOS seem to think that the deck-building IS the game and so Dominion is a great substitute for CCGs, which is just ridiculous. The deckbuilding aspect of CCGs is not so structured, and that's why it's great. Who hasn't scribbled out a M:tG deck listing in the middle of their physics lecture because they got a great idea about how to beat the hot new archetype? Anybody?

I also have an argument against buying dead CCGs just because they're cheap. They're dead because nobody plays them. I would only invest time into a CCG if I had a steady supply of opponents who are into it as much as I am.

I also agree with the dude who said he can't stand the phrase "scratches my itch for <x>". First of all, it sounds ridiculous, and second of all, if you're aware of what your "itch" is for, why not just go for it.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:00 #25312 by hancock.tom
I wrote an article on this subject (which you are no doubt aware of since you are poking fun at my phraseology) and ultimately concluded the same thing you do- only a CCG can provide that exact type of fun. Unless you want to go broke buying magic cards, you have very few options. Cube drafting and commons magic are the solution I came up with. I haven't put together a cube yet, but I've got some magic commons decks set up.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:01 #25313 by Count Orlok
As much as I love wargames and AT games, they can never replace my separate love for Vampire/Jyhad. I don't think there is another game that comes close to what I love so much about it, and I'm not looking either.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:24 #25317 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Rant: NO non-CCG game
Shellhead wrote:

I believe that Armageddon Empires actually seems like a great non-CCG that may scratch the CCG itch.

I was going to suggest this myself. It's not precisely the same, of course, but it certainly offers a lot of deckbuilding options.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:27 #25318 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Rant: NO non-CCG game
generalpf wrote:
"Who hasn't scribbled out a M:tG deck listing in the middle of their physics lecture because they got a great idea about how to beat the hot new archetype? Anybody?"
[blasphemy]Me.[/blasphemy]

More
06 Apr 2009 19:42 #25337 by metalface13
Board games just can't compete in the arena of customization with collectibe and miniatures games.

For me it's just that feeling of personalization you put into your deck or army or pile of dice (as in the case of Dragon Dice) that you can't find in a board game.

Also it is that you can participate in the hobby of a CCG/CMG/miniatures game even when you're not playing. Customizing your deck. Buying new minis/booster packs. Painting your minis. Organizing your collection. Writing a new army list, etc.

The turnoffs of course are that someday all of it (or at least elements) will be worthless if the game system changes or gets discontinued. I know you can continue playing OOP card games or with 3rd Edition 40K or whatever, but if you want to play in a competitive or organized environment you're out of luck.

More
06 Apr 2009 21:24 #25340 by kookoobah
I still regularly go to the MtG website to check out the latest decklists and new cards coming out and reading up on designer notes and most of the articles. I like to keep up on how Magic is developing and it has come a long way since the time when everything was just broken left and right and the only thing keeping it together was that every single thing was broken in their own way. This was around the time of Urza's Block with Yawgmoth Bargain and Memory Jar and Tolarian Academy.

I keep myself up to date, despite the fact that I don't want to ever get back into this money sink of a hobby. Of course boardgames are a bit of a money sink too, but that's another story altogether.

I haven't played Magic in 5 years.

More
06 Apr 2009 21:48 #25342 by Stormcow
Replied by Stormcow on topic Re:Rant: NO non-CCG game
hancock.tom wrote:

Cube drafting and commons magic are the solution I came up with. I haven't put together a cube yet, but I've got some magic commons decks set up.

I've done both, and will recommend them as an excellent way to play a CCG.

But yeah, it really doesn't compare to the "build anything" atmosphere that you can get from a live, competitive CCG.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds