October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

magic 2010 rules changes

More
27 Jun 2009 16:38 #33237 by metalface13
I haven't played Magic in years, so I don't really care how the changes affect the game. The only effect I care about is if I ever decide to get back into magic it will make more sense.

Trying to figure out the ins and outs of Magic is like reading U.S. tax laws. Tons of nonsensical crap in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2009 21:47 #33252 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:magic 2010 rules changes
metalface13 wrote:

Trying to figure out the ins and outs of Magic is like reading U.S. tax laws. Tons of nonsensical crap in there.

Makes Squad Leader look like Candy Land.

More
29 Jun 2009 10:32 #33321 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:M:TG Wank
ubarose wrote:

TheDukester wrote:

I would sooner scoop my eyes out with rusty forks than read any of that shit.

But them you miss such bons mots as most people and women are dense. I guess some magic players don't consider women to be people, which explains a great deal.

That's almost as brilliant as he fucking dick then bullshit. I guess what he meant to say is: "Most people and all women are dense". That probably explains in his world why so few are "able" to play Magic.

More
03 Jul 2009 03:11 - 03 Jul 2009 03:15 #33617 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re:M:TG Wank
Black Barney wrote:

Yeah, you should get it and we can compare notes on this site.

That microprose game sounds like fun. I like the idea of random encounters. It's only Starter decks though in the XBLArcade version (you can't tweak decks at all. You can add cards (I THINK) but you can't remove anything, nor can you add any extra land.

omg, the preset white deck SUCKS

I actually really like the preset white deck once you unlock about 10 of the extra cards. All of the decks I've used so far are REALLY basic, but out of all of them, the white one is my favorite.

I have to say, XBLA magic is the first magic I've played since... 1999ish...

I hate it. I hate what they've done with the game, and it's not just the art style, though I don't care for that either, it's the cards that make up the basic set. I hate that the basic counterspell is now 1UU instead of just UU, I hate that lightning bolt is gone and replaced with shock and incinerate, I hate that there's no more fireball, that white knight is now youthful knight, etc etc etc. Maybe the game is more balanced and more fair, but to me it just feels slower and way more lame.

Oh, and the giant mana symbol on basic lands just blows 31 flavors of cock.

It's scratching a nice itch, but it just feels so foreign and sterile compared to the game I fell in love with so long ago.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 03:15 by Stonecutter.

More
03 Jul 2009 12:27 #33632 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:M:TG Wank
Wow, really? I found it reminded me so much of the old Magic. Fireball was replaced by something else which does the exact same thing (except can't hit multiple targets). It was fun unlocking 100% achievements and I hope the DLC brings new achievements as well. I hadn't played since 1994 I think (maybe even 1993).

More
03 Jul 2009 13:12 #33634 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re:M:TG Wank
Stonecutter wrote:

Black Barney wrote:

Yeah, you should get it and we can compare notes on this site.

That microprose game sounds like fun. I like the idea of random encounters. It's only Starter decks though in the XBLArcade version (you can't tweak decks at all. You can add cards (I THINK) but you can't remove anything, nor can you add any extra land.

omg, the preset white deck SUCKS

I actually really like the preset white deck once you unlock about 10 of the extra cards. All of the decks I've used so far are REALLY basic, but out of all of them, the white one is my favorite.

I have to say, XBLA magic is the first magic I've played since... 1999ish...

I hate it. I hate what they've done with the game, and it's not just the art style, though I don't care for that either, it's the cards that make up the basic set. I hate that the basic counterspell is now 1UU instead of just UU, I hate that lightning bolt is gone and replaced with shock and incinerate, I hate that there's no more fireball, that white knight is now youthful knight, etc etc etc. Maybe the game is more balanced and more fair, but to me it just feels slower and way more lame.

Oh, and the giant mana symbol on basic lands just blows 31 flavors of cock.

It's scratching a nice itch, but it just feels so foreign and sterile compared to the game I fell in love with so long ago.

Your comments are auspicious: in the new (in a couple weeks) basic set...

- Lightning Bolt is back, Shock and Incinerate are out
- White Knight is back, Youthful Knight is out
- Fireball is back, Blaze is out

Also, take a look at, say, the rare creatures in the new basic set: I don't think you'll find the game neutered when you see stuff like Baneslayer Angel or Protean Hydra.

Anyone who thinks that Counterspells should have stayed stronger, though, needs their head checked: Blue dominates PLENTY already, despite depowering blue every couple years or so.

And the giant mana symbols make the lands look much nicer, in my opinion!

More
03 Jul 2009 21:03 #33667 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:M:TG Wank
Wow, fireball and lightning bolt are back!? I guess WotC decided that they aren't so overpowered after all? Or maybe they put them back in to compensate for power creep in other areas?

More
04 Jul 2009 06:45 #33673 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:M:TG Wank
I had a reasonable go with the MTG Xbox game. It is OK. The games are quite fun. The lack of customisation sucks. It cuts out of one of the most important parts of what makes CCGs fun.

The main problem with the game for me though is that it has zero personality. I haven't tried playing against human opponents yet. In the campaign game you might as well be playing against yourself with two starter decks. It looks fantastic in HD but the cards is all there is. The AIs don't even play logically on the highest setting. They will do things like attack when they can block to stop you killing them. The wandering in the original Microprose game and even the stupid damage animations in MTG:Online do add so much. I want my AI opponents to brag when they beat me. I want my avater to laugh as my opponent takes damage. Something. The single player game is unbearably bland.

More
04 Jul 2009 14:42 #33688 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re:M:TG Wank
Aarontu wrote:

Wow, fireball and lightning bolt are back!? I guess WotC decided that they aren't so overpowered after all? Or maybe they put them back in to compensate for power creep in other areas?

Fireball I think is pretty much the same level as the other X burn spells they've been making, but Lightning Bolt I was shocked by too. Frankly, and I don't say this often about their Magic decisions, but I think it's a mistake. I think the LAST thing the game needs is more efficient creature kill; Lightning Bolt discourages the use of 3-toughness creatures, so more creatures will become "unplayable" in tournaments.

But they've let on that they tested it a TON, and certainly everyone's really excited about Lightning Bolt being back, so I should probably trust them more.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds