October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

HeroClix

More
02 May 2008 14:01 - 02 May 2008 14:05 #5731 by Stephen Avery
HeroClix was created by Stephen Avery
I love superhero stuff so I was very excited to play heroclix when it first came out...and was completely underwhelmed. Everything felt static.

Captain America runs to Thug <end>
Thug takes shot at Captain America <end>
Captain America Hits Thug. Thug takes one click damage <end>

where was the action?! I wanted to see Capt leap to the top of a truck and throw his sheild! I wanted the thug to jump for cover while shooting back. Then I ran across this guy's house rules which made the simple change of making each figure get move and attack each turn.

www.angelfire.com/blog/abehm/hchr.html

It turned Heroclix into a dynamic action oriented game.
There are also significant changes to stealth and superstrength (for the better IMHO)
The rules are long because he explains and justifies everything but if you boil it down, it comes out to 1 1/2 pages of rules which are very easy to follow. I'll post the consice version as soon as I type it up. You'll also need to print out the power changes. Many of the powers are changed becuse of the turn structure or for more cinematic effects.

And since I went there, I'll also post some combat otpions for ganging up, controlling lackies, smashing an AoE with oversized objects, and increasing knockback or damage by lowering accuracy...

Steve"Summer_is_almost_here_and_I'm_goofing_off"Avery
Last edit: 02 May 2008 14:05 by Stephen Avery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2008 14:09 #5733 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:HeroClix
zzzzzzz...

I prefer Steve Avery's variant recipe for refried beans:

1 can of Taco Bell brand canned refried beans
1 tablespoon salsa of indeterminate age
3 pinches of random cheese just short of spoilage
1 sprig cilantro

Open bean can. Dump all ingredients on top. Eat with spoon.

"Best hijack ever?"

More
02 May 2008 14:15 #5734 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:HeroClix
Michael Barnes wrote:

"Best hijack ever?"

No.

More
02 May 2008 14:21 - 02 May 2008 14:30 #5736 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:HeroClix
If you were there when it happened, you'd think it was. It may be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.
Last edit: 02 May 2008 14:30 by Michael Barnes.

More
02 May 2008 15:58 #5738 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:HeroClix
The Earl of Sandwich was mocked for his culinary choices during a similiar game function and look how that turned out. 100 years from now, the half can of refried beans con Salsa y queso will be a staple of lunches and diners throught the world and I will be hailed as a visionary...

and I skipped the Cilantro...Its too uppity for my pallet.

Steve"Connesior"Avery

More
03 May 2008 06:24 #5773 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:HeroClix
This is what i've written at BGG about Heroclix (in my comments on the game):

A fun game that I just can't seem to really get into - at least not in the way i'm into Axis and Allies Minis (and I even read comics).

I feel the game is best (and the most fun) when players stay true to the comics and only fight battles that would occur in them - though a foray into the "what if" is nice once in awhile.

I would not play this competetively.

To be good at this game I think you really have to have an understanding of your opponents characters, and know what powers they'll have further down their dial (wich has been made somewhat easier with the introduction of stat cards, see below).

Because each character is unique the game can get more complicated then I feel a superhero game need be. The variety of powers leads to some rather interesting (and sometimes complex) interactions between figures. This tends to lead to slower player turns, and gives the game a very tactical, brain burning feel. Variety of powers does tend to put an emphasis on building a balanced team - but at the same time you can still do a lot of cheesy power combos.

I dislike that powers are represented by a color. It is to hard for me to remember what each means. It is also hard to analyze a character at a glance since you have to click through the dial.

In the newer expansions, Wizkids includes stat cards that go with each figure. These cards basically list a character's powers so you don't have to look up a color on the generic power chart. Figures also now have their own unique "white" powers (as they're called). White powers are explained on a figure's card as they're now specific to that character. Often a white power will be a variation of an existing power (extending the range of a certain power or letting a figure use two of the generic attack powers at once) while other times they are powers that reflect what that hero or villian is really all about. The white powers are great from a thematic standpoint (a plus in my book) but could lead to some complicated interactions between other powers as discussed above.

I also dislike how each character is represented by 3 different pieces with varying point costs and sometimes a 4th Unique piece (I believe they have stopped doing this in the newer sets). The collectibility of a game in which you are essentially recieving multiples of the same Hero annoys me greatly. This is contrasted with a game like Axis and Allies Minis where having multiples of the same figure is a good thing, because the figures represent generic troops and vehicles, and not a single specific person. I am aware that you can have multiples of the same non-unique figure in a match, but frankly that is unthematic and in my opinion lame. I'd prefer if all iterations of a specific hero had a single piece with one cost value. I do not want multiples of a specific iteration of hero with varying stats based upon the figure's point cost.

I have no problems with having various iterations of a figure. For example I like how their are versions of Superman that focus on different aspects of his strengths based on what Comic the figure is based on (Kindgome Come or JLA Superman for example). This is fine since they are essentially representing something different, and unique (and given the state of the DC multiverse I suppose it makes sense thematically)...

From a gameplay standpoint, I don't know if I like the pushing mechanic. I'd prefer if the game was faster paced and had no pushing like Horrorclix. Pushing leads to interesting tactical decisions though (Should I push, and take damage to pull of this attack, or wait and try to set up a different attack? etc). Regarding pushing: One complaint I have with the game is that no tokens are included in the game to mark what figures have taken actions. I'm sorry, but that's lame.

Still I wouldn't call this game bad and I enjoy the matches my friend and I have.

There are several starters sets out there that are pretty cool and some other boxed sets from Horrorclix that are cool as well. Hellboy and the BPRD, The Legion of Superheros, the X Men/Danger Room pack, the Aliens Pack, Predator Pack, Alien Queen, Sentinel, etc...

The figures from the newest sets are light years ahead in quality from some of the older stuff. The new figures are pretty nice.

I hope Wizkids does an Avengers team starter.

One day i'll write a review of this game.

To sum it up: not a complex game but you can get some overly complex power interactions that lead to sloooow highly tactical play instead of an all out action slug fest. Or, the theme doesn't really fit with the actual gameplay (or at least how I think it should).

More
05 May 2008 14:50 #5824 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:HeroClix
I'm definitely a fan of superhero comics, and I have been looking a long time for a game that really captures the genre well. RPG, CCG, whatever. So I was initially very curious about HeroClix. But the collectible aspect has become a dealbreaker for me. I already have two CCGs that I am trying to keep up with, Shadowfist and Vampire: the Eternal Struggle, so I can't justify spending even more money to keep up with a third collectible property. Also, the early sculpts for HeroClix were pretty bad, and it seemed like storage could become a real problem. I already have storage issues with my comic collection, my CCG collection, my book collection, my RPG collection, and my boardgame collection.

So far, my favorite superhero game has been Strange Synergy. The mechanics do a great job of capturing the feel of two superhuman teams meeting in battle for the first time. Now if only there was a good game that captured a lot of other standard superhero fare, like secret hideouts, deathtraps, sidekicks, secret identities, patrolling, and more.

More
06 May 2008 02:03 #5871 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:HeroClix
FWIW, here's my comments on Heroclix from BGG:

Fair. Used my typical CC* approach, which is to get a friend who's really into it to make me a deck/team/etc. and loan it to me. Played one game so far and thought it was okay. Definitely had that CC* feel, and it was painfully obvious that I was coming into it late in the game -- i.e., the sheer number of powers made it obvious that (like keywords in Magic ) they had been gradually added over the course of the game to keep veterans interested. Unfortunately that made it really hard to keep track of what was what for a n00b like me. Tons of powers to try and keep track of, none of which were terribly obvious or thematic. E.g., Batman can only outwit people after he's taken a couple of hits. (What?)

Certainly from a game-design perspective I can get behind Batman or Superman not having access to everything all the time, but thematically it made it feel super-gamey. And why play a comics-themed game if it's not thematic?

The touted advantage of the Clix-system is that you don't have to have a bunch of cards (etc.) to keep track of all the changing stats over the course of the battle. My initial impression is that I don't buy it. I have the most experience in the D&D CCM game, and I found it much easier to just have all the cards in front of me than to constantly be picking up my figures and peering at the numbers on their bases. And then picking them up again to see if they still had the powers they did last turn.

That being said, I had an okay time playing the game and I'd play it again, although I'd never spend my own money on it. I do prefer the spread of HeroClix's 2d6-based system to the 1d20 system of D&D minis. Theme-wise it's a toss-up. Do I want to feel like the Dead Alewives ("I cast ... MAGIC MISSILE!") or Comic Book Guy ("Worst. Analogy. EVER.")?

More
06 May 2008 11:33 #5883 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:HeroClix
Other people have stated that that it is confusing to keep track of the colors but the reaity is that some powers that occur very often. Toughness, stealth, blades/claws, incapcitate, and superstrength pop up so frequently that even after a half game you won't need to look them up.

I'll be the first to agree that the game system isn't ideal however. Also it needs scenarios to add flavor and variety.

Now if only there was a good game that captured a lot of other standard superhero fare, like secret hideouts, deathtraps, sidekicks, secret identities, patrolling, and more.

Totally agreed. The super games availble currently are tactical minis or adventure games so straightforward that they lack depth.

Steve"SuperSlacker"Avery

More
06 May 2008 16:46 #5931 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:HeroClix
Shellhead wrote:

I'm definitely a fan of superhero comics, and I have been looking a long time for a game that really captures the genre well. RPG, CCG, whatever. So I was initially very curious about HeroClix. But the collectible aspect has become a dealbreaker for me. I already have two CCGs that I am trying to keep up with, Shadowfist and Vampire: the Eternal Struggle, so I can't justify spending even more money to keep up with a third collectible property. Also, the early sculpts for HeroClix were pretty bad, and it seemed like storage could become a real problem. I already have storage issues with my comic collection, my CCG collection, my book collection, my RPG collection, and my boardgame collection.

So far, my favorite superhero game has been Strange Synergy. The mechanics do a great job of capturing the feel of two superhuman teams meeting in battle for the first time. Now if only there was a good game that captured a lot of other standard superhero fare, like secret hideouts, deathtraps, sidekicks, secret identities, patrolling, and more.

Storage a problem? Nah, I just have *mentally picturing man cave* oh - 10 ish Plano tackle boxes worth of HeroClix.

It is funny Clix have been coming up lately. Durak60 started a thread which sprang from a discussion in a math trade forum about Clix vs. Marvel Heroes. I know Ken really likes Marvel Heroes but I have found it to be dreadfully boring. Here is the link.

Anyhow... So I've collected Clix from the very beginning. I had promos from the Chicago Comicon the summer before they came out. I think that over all on a 10 point scale the game would be a 6 just for the game itself but I enjoy at around and 8 level simply because of the theme. I enjoy it more than Heroscape as well, for me, it feels more like a super hero game with all of the abilities. In the recent sets the 3 versions of a character thing has gone away, and they now include cards that allow WKs to have additional powers other than the official ones.

I had gotten away from playing it but there seems to be a mini resurgence going on.

I still enjoy it. For my money it is still the best super hero themed game I have ever played. I love being able to play Hulk vs. Superman. Or Hellboy vs. Batman, etc., etc., Honestly, it is a mediocre game but if you enjoy the themd I think it is a very fun game to play.

More
06 May 2008 16:49 #5933 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:HeroClix
Oh, I forgot to mention I have, literally, a bucket or more accurately, plastic bin, full of dupes. I'd be happy to send anyone interested an insti-collection for shipping and and a few bucks so I don't completely weep about how much money I've spent on the game. If interested PM me.

More
07 May 2008 03:34 - 07 May 2008 03:38 #5979 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:HeroClix
Stephen Avery wrote:

Other people have stated that that it is confusing to keep track of the colors but the reaity is that some powers that occur very often. Toughness, stealth, blades/claws, incapcitate, and superstrength pop up so frequently that even after a half game you won't need to look them up.

I'll be the first to agree that the game system isn't ideal however. Also it needs scenarios to add flavor and variety.

Now if only there was a good game that captured a lot of other standard superhero fare, like secret hideouts, deathtraps, sidekicks, secret identities, patrolling, and more.

Totally agreed. The super games availble currently are tactical minis or adventure games so straightforward that they lack depth.

Steve"SuperSlacker"Avery

Super Strength, Blades/Claws/Fangs, and a host of other powers I can tell you right off the bat, but that comes with playing many games.

But who remembers what color plasticity is or psychic blast? Ugh.

It got A LOT easier with unit cards.

I think Haloclix has the best unit cards.

It actually shows the dial progression.

I HATE duplicate figures in Heroclix.

Such a waste, since really, lets face the facts: They are not useful in anyway.

So sure, you can have three non unique same figure supermans on your team, but honestly who is going to do that? It's just so unthematic. I'm fine with multiple different versions of a figure though, like a JLA Superman, the Batman Team Superman, etc.

It just seems like the "waste" figures you get in Heroclix is higher than in a game that deals with generic troops.
Last edit: 07 May 2008 03:38 by Lagduf.

More
07 May 2008 09:07 #5990 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:HeroClix
Lagduf wrote:

It just seems like the "waste" figures you get in Heroclix is higher than in a game that deals with generic troops.

I dunno, I have two Nute Gunrays for Star Wars. Given that he's already a useless figure having a duplicate is double useless....

More
29 Jan 2009 13:19 #18846 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:HeroClix
I've picked up some Halo Actionclix minis 'cos my young lad has been addicted to the xbox game and I liked the look of them (plus now am quite interested in reading the novels). So anyone got advice, game variants, trades, sales .... everything appreciated.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds