October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Use for Mage Knight Figures

More
22 May 2008 10:40 #6898 by Ska_baron
Hey all,

Just recently got back my collection of MK figures (and Mechwarrior for that matter) from a friend whose parents' house I'd left them at years ago when we still played. Now I'm wondering if there's a good homebrew use for these lil guys. I think I have one starter of MK Dungeon and remember playing once and liking that some. Basically I'd like a more boardgame like feel than miniature game feel (ie, no rulers, ick).

Did anyone ever get/play the quest pack things they sold? That seemed like it'd be exactly what I want but now that it's OOP, those might be tough to find.

So, any good uses for MK figures?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2008 11:00 #6903 by metalface13
The local comic store recently put on the shelves all these old Mage Knight and Mage Knight Dungeon starter packs and accessory packs and map packs and stuff. I kind of got interested in MK Dungeons when I was investigating every dungeon crawl under the sun. But they seem to be trying to sell them for full retail. I've seen a guy on BGG who's got MK Dungeon starters on sale for like $5.

More
22 May 2008 11:28 #6910 by Ska_baron
The cool thing about MK:Dungeons was the character figures that started 5 clicks down as their starting/level 1 and then as you leveled up your starting click would be further up the dial - gaining new abilities and such. Kinda nifty I thought. There were some uniques you could *kinda* do this with, but not really as well thought out progression obviously.

Really, I felt like the dungeon thing woulda been better with scenarios or some purpose or something.

More
22 May 2008 11:58 #6912 by Aarontu
Heroscape?

If you enjoy making up house expansions for stuff, you could use those minis for any game that already has minis.

More
22 May 2008 13:03 #6921 by Shellhead
Ska_baron wrote:

Target practice.

More
22 May 2008 20:58 #6949 by Druen Kree

I dont know..I threw mine away while I was moving.

More
23 May 2008 00:40 #6950 by metalface13
You could use them as lieutenants in Descent: Road to Legend

More
23 May 2008 12:26 #6987 by Stephen Avery
Once again I find myslef defending older games that get no love.

MK dungeons is a very tactical solid little game that plays like a fast version of Descent. The hindering terrain, action point allowence, and powers are very similiar and precede Descent. Its got wandering monsters that are can be utilized much like the blips in SpaceHulk. If you've not tried it, don't cheat yourself. I have a house rule about healing though (I'll have to pull the game but I think it was like 4 action points to gain a click) Without some sort a healing its east to get worn down into a death spiral.

MK armies are a bit more cumbersome and follow some of the same format as many minis games..measuring , formations, ect. Still its just as entertaining as many other minis games out there and simulates the wearing down of your forces well as they become wounded through ongoing encounters.

Show MK some love!!

Steve"Defender of the forgotten game" Avery

More
23 May 2008 14:01 #6997 by Druen Kree

Show MK some love!!

I am not making love to some MK figures..no matter how sexy they look!

More
23 May 2008 15:44 #7000 by Ska_baron
Stephen Avery wrote:

Once again I find myslef defending older games that get no love.

MK dungeons is a very tactical solid little game that plays like a fast version of Descent. The hindering terrain, action point allowence, and powers are very similiar and precede Descent. Its got wandering monsters that are can be utilized much like the blips in SpaceHulk. If you've not tried it, don't cheat yourself. I have a house rule about healing though (I'll have to pull the game but I think it was like 4 action points to gain a click) Without some sort a healing its east to get worn down into a death spiral.

MK armies are a bit more cumbersome and follow some of the same format as many minis games..measuring , formations, ect. Still its just as entertaining as many other minis games out there and simulates the wearing down of your forces well as they become wounded through ongoing encounters.

Show MK some love!!

Steve"Defender of the forgotten game" Avery

Yeah - Honestly, I think I just want to run something like HeroQuest that'd be a little more indepth, but less involved than Descent. Hmm.

I'm sure with the point totals that everything could be balanced.

More
28 May 2008 14:23 #7221 by Ska_baron
Well, for any interested, I found this:

themagestonechronicles.homestead.com/

which is apparently a Frankensteined MK Dungeon/HQ monster.

Havent gone through it, so hopefully it's good. Already though I see "the GM isn't directly trying to slaughter the Heroes." Wrong, bitches. Either through assigning VP or rerolling a character, there will be blood.

Will report back after I read this on my commute home.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds