October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Wizards of the Coast flip the bird to Europe M:TG

More
05 Nov 2010 03:10 #78597 by JacobMartin
www.deckconstruct.com/shows/dc-85-october-2010-wpn-changes

Now I worry that Wizards of the Coast not only killed Heroscape, but is going to kill Magic in rural areas outside of America because they're going to start doing pre-releases only in game stores instead of with local organisers.

They really don't see how this affects people outside of America do they?

The hobby of tabletop gaming exists outside of America, and many companies if they're too large forget this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2010 14:22 #81279 by sirkerry
JacobMartin wrote:

Now I worry that Wizards of the Coast not only killed Heroscape, but is going to kill Magic in rural areas outside of America because they're going to start doing pre-releases only in game stores instead of with local organisers.

The hobby of tabletop gaming exists outside of America, and many companies if they're too large forget this.

I seriously doubt that WotC's changes to the WPN are going to kill Magic anywhere.

More
05 Dec 2010 18:46 - 05 Dec 2010 18:46 #81294 by Dogmatix
sirkerry wrote:

JacobMartin wrote:

I seriously doubt that WotC's changes to the WPN are going to kill Magic anywhere.

Kill it, no, of course not. I'm confused though as to what the real benefit is. I've read Hasbro's Annual Report (they actually control MTG; WOTC is just a name on letterhead for all intents and purposes), and the profits they report on MTG are just fucking staggering. What's the plus here? It reduces the marketing costs associated with a medium-sized division within Hasbro since WOTC would be sending out fewer promo kits, but that's kind of negligible considering that the costs are already sunk to a sizeable degree (it's not like they're going to print substantially fewer cards.) So what other benefit is there?
Last edit: 05 Dec 2010 18:46 by Dogmatix.

More
05 Dec 2010 21:15 #81301 by Stormcow
It promotes the FLGS over non-store venues. I don't see how giving more support to FLGS's is a bad thing.

More
05 Dec 2010 21:55 #81303 by Dogmatix
Stormcow wrote:

It promotes the FLGS over non-store venues. I don't see how giving more support to FLGS's is a bad thing.

Considering that you can find MTG cards just about everywhere except maybe airport terminal sandwich stands, it still seems kind of counterintuitive. The Hasbro mothership cares very little (if at all) about "local game stores"; I guess this is the WotC division's last gasp at trying to drive traffic to shops where someone might accidentally see one of their remaining non-Magic properties (looks like all their boardgames now reside under the A&A imprint) and possibly buy something else. Otherwise, I still don't see the point as far as evangelizing the MTG product goes.

More
06 Dec 2010 10:14 #81316 by Bulwyf
Wasn't there another lengthy thread here on the Fort that discusses this very topic? I believe it's point was that the international M:tG scene is very much club driven rather than store driven. Mostly due to the scarcity of specialized game shops in places like Europe and the UK. I have to agree that it seems like bad business practices to make it harder for your customers to organize and support events that promote your product.

-Will

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds