October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC 2014

More
13 Aug 2014 11:30 - 13 Aug 2014 11:37 #184778 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: WBC 2014
That's the part that is making me crack up about you east coast dudes. The nearest substantial city to me is Dallas. 5 hours. Austin is 6 hours. OKC is about 5-6 hours. Albuquerque is 6 hours. I have driven 16 hours in a day before to get to my phd hooding in Champaign IL. These fuckers crying about moving from a 4 hour drive to a 6 hour drive make me laugh my ass off.

To whit, and this guy isn't a douche bag in this thread, just a comment that made me laugh: "TotalCon is a lot of fun (and growing -- parking was overflowing on the weekend this year), even if it's a 60 minute drive each way for me (over four days, that takes its toll)."

An hour commute? ARE YOU OK?
Last edit: 13 Aug 2014 11:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, JoelCFC25, Msample, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2014 12:08 #184782 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: WBC 2014

JoelCFC25 wrote: Just finished the 12-page saga on BGG discussing the move. It's absolutely hysterical. I'd have a hard time whittling it down to a Top 5 highlights reel, but the guy who said a 6 hour drive is something that requires a whole day of recovery could take top honors.

I think what it boils down to is that the people already driving say 6-8 hours already were all in practically regardless of location, another 2.5 hours is a big deal. But for some wimps like some hooplhead that says he "hits the wall" after about 6 hours driving...whatever . Or the guy who whined about the new location ( user "LURCH" ) saying it needed to be closer to I95, then suggested Gettysburg ( which is FARTHER from 95 ) THEN it was revealed that he was basically a Lancaster local....

Fucking whiners, all of them. Hell I drive 5-6 hours in a day and put in a full days work in between at least once a month . I have little sympathy.

You gotta remember, the con has been there 9 years and has practically doubled in size. For many, the Host is the ONLY place they've been to for WBC. For others, say some vocal critics from the Long Island area, when it was in Baltimore, it was still about the same drive time. So for a fair portion of the attendee base, sure the drive got longer. But to me, its all relatively easy mileage - all highway, no additional major cities to go through if you're coming from points east .

Best part is we got two more years to listen to the whining.

More
13 Aug 2014 12:14 #184783 by Gary Sax
And another divine year of dodging rats at the Host but saving ten dollars a night, if the pictures I saw were any indication.

More
13 Aug 2014 12:33 #184784 by Msample
There was a mouse sighting in the dining room and in several rooms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2014 13:00 #184787 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: WBC 2014

Gary Sax wrote: That's the part that is making me crack up about you east coast dudes. The nearest substantial city to me is Dallas. 5 hours. Austin is 6 hours. OKC is about 5-6 hours. Albuquerque is 6 hours. I have driven 16 hours in a day before to get to my phd hooding in Champaign IL. These fuckers crying about moving from a 4 hour drive to a 6 hour drive make me laugh my ass off.

To whit, and this guy isn't a douche bag in this thread, just a comment that made me laugh: "TotalCon is a lot of fun (and growing -- parking was overflowing on the weekend this year), even if it's a 60 minute drive each way for me (over four days, that takes its toll)."

An hour commute? ARE YOU OK?

Heh....don't ever move to Rhode Island. Your brain might explode. You can drive across the whole state in about 50 mins. People here are NOTORIOUS for not wanting to travel anywhere. The state is divided into North and South. Most people that live in Southern RI never travel north of Warwick (middle of the state). Same goes for Northern RI folk...cept they're screwed if they wanna go to the beach. Basically anything more than 30 min drive is considered 'too far'.

Let's put it this way. I moved about 35-40 mins North from where my family lives. Basically, I'm gone and might as well have moved to another state. Rhode Islanders bring the don't wanna drive thing to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT level. Luckily, I don't fall into that trap and will drive pretty much anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
13 Aug 2014 13:10 #184789 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: WBC 2014
Egg lives! Good News.

Rhode Island has the most peculiar customs and society in all of New England. It really is it's own place and their ideas are passing strange. Spent the most bizarre four years of my life there.

More
13 Aug 2014 16:35 #184792 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: WBC 2014
I was born and raised in Rhode Island. I still keep coffee syrup in my fridge.

More
13 Aug 2014 17:13 #184793 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: WBC 2014
For the first time in 9 years, the Host really started grossing me out. I can tolerate a lot of things, but earwigs falling on me in open gaming is where I draw the line. I wish they were moving next year. An extra 2 hour drive and $60 is totally worth it for a bug and mouse free environment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
13 Aug 2014 17:36 #184794 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re: WBC 2014

ubarose wrote: I can tolerate a lot of things, but earwigs falling on me in open gaming is where I draw the line.

Lmao. That would make a couple of good comic strip panels.

More
13 Aug 2014 17:42 #184796 by Msample

ubarose wrote: For the first time in 9 years, the Host really started grossing me out. I can tolerate a lot of things, but earwigs falling on me in open gaming is where I draw the line. I wish they were moving next year. An extra 2 hour drive and $60 is totally worth it for a bug and mouse free environment.

Wow.

There are some hoping the Host implodes before next year , allowing us to void the contract and move earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2014 17:49 #184797 by Gary Sax
...but is having a bug and mouse free environment REALLY worth not having people who can't afford that 60 dollars there?

More
13 Aug 2014 20:47 #184803 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: WBC 2014

Gary Sax wrote: ...but is having a bug and mouse free environment REALLY worth not having people who can't afford that 60 dollars there?

People who don't think having a rodent and bug free environment is worth an extra $60 a week (which is actually only $15 per week per person) can stay at the camp ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, wadenels

More
13 Aug 2014 21:04 - 13 Aug 2014 21:06 #184804 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: WBC 2014
For the record Gettysburg is much closer to I95 than the new venue. Not that that matters because Gettysburg isn't up to the job, has no off-season and has expensive hotels.

Most east-coasters from my end of things drive an hour to work each way each day, even if it is only 18 miles. My only concern with the new location is that it sounds like the kind of place where everyone tries to look like they're part of the In crowd, perhaps not the best fit for boardgame nerds. Someone's going to ask for water at the bar and wonder it has bubbles in it (and costs four dollars). Of course I've never been there so who knows. It may be very down to earth.

Between Origins, Gencon and now WBC, the midwest is really the hub of gaming. Unless there's something down south I don't know about the "east" has no major cons that draw an international or even national audience.

S.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2014 21:06 by Sagrilarus.

More
13 Aug 2014 21:18 #184806 by black inferno
Replied by black inferno on topic Re: WBC 2014

Sagrilarus wrote: My only concern with the new location is that it sounds like the kind of place where everyone tries to look like they're part of the In crowd, perhaps not the best fit for boardgame nerds.

Lmfao, what the eff are you talking about brah? It's a family ski resort. It's the opposite of pretentious. It's a hell of a lot better than the sub-Econolodge shitpad y'all are so desperate to cling to.

More
13 Aug 2014 21:31 #184808 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: WBC 2014

black inferno wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: My only concern with the new location is that it sounds like the kind of place where everyone tries to look like they're part of the In crowd, perhaps not the best fit for boardgame nerds.

Lmfao, what the eff are you talking about brah? It's a family ski resort. It's the opposite of pretentious. It's a hell of a lot better than the sub-Econolodge shitpad y'all are so desperate to cling to.

I'll defer to your incredible wisdom.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds