October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Gen Con 2014

More
14 May 2014 10:13 #178031 by Legomancer
Gen Con 2014 was created by Legomancer
I'm going to be at GenCon for the first time this year. No idea what to expect. I guess the Events are opening up soon and the boardgaming events are all "play Settlers of Catan with a bunch of strangers" which doesn't excite me. I'm looking for games that I can't normally play but not seeing a whole lot.

I don't have any experience with this thing; is there open gaming other than this Event business? Are there other Events I should try and get in on?

More importantly, any other folks here going?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 10:32 #178032 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
I'm not going but from what I understand, GenCon is not about playing games, it's about buying them and demoing new releases.

If you're looking for a Con to play games at, I heard BGG Con and Origins are where it's at.

More
14 May 2014 10:45 #178034 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
WBC for the win

More
14 May 2014 11:59 - 14 May 2014 12:00 #178043 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Gen Con 2014

Legomancer wrote: I'm going to be at GenCon for the first time this year. No idea what to expect. I guess the Events are opening up soon and the boardgaming events are all "play Settlers of Catan with a bunch of strangers" which doesn't excite me. I'm looking for games that I can't normally play but not seeing a whole lot.

I don't have any experience with this thing; is there open gaming other than this Event business? Are there other Events I should try and get in on?

There is a board game library room which can hold a 130 or so people and I believe there is a cost to get into that room (probably purchased through events). It can be used for open gaming (i.e. you don't have to use the games in their library). I know it gets quite busy in the evening but I imagine it would be busy during the day as well. There are some company-specific rooms - Mayfair and Rio Grande, though I can't tell if they will have that this year and don't know if any others will be added.

Finally there is a very large room dedicated to board/card/ccg games and in the evening is available for open gaming: during the day it can fill up with many different events, usually ccg, heroclix, etc.

If you meet people who play, you can make plans to use the bigger room at some point or I am sure find some gaming space somewhere. But it takes meeting people and planning.

Oh yeah and I will be there: mostly at the booth during the day, gaming in the evening after dinner. I usually go to the library room unless it is full or alternate plans have been made.
Last edit: 14 May 2014 12:00 by ZMan.

More
14 May 2014 12:01 - 14 May 2014 12:03 #178045 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
What? I never would have guessed Legomancer going to GenCon...Ha! I look forward to the eviscerating AAR. :)

See if you can top Barnes' annual shredding of the Dragon*Con.
Last edit: 14 May 2014 12:03 by Mr. White.

More
14 May 2014 12:03 #178046 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
Yah if it's gaming your after WBC is the tops followed closely by Trashfest NE in November.

More
14 May 2014 12:04 #178047 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
Like Zev said, you get tickets for the game library. One for day, one for night, per day. I think it's $2 a ticket.

I'll be there. You'll love it... it is quite a sight to see.

I've never played in the big open gaming area; I might check that out this time.

More
14 May 2014 13:48 #178069 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
This ticket thing is hell of intimidating. How am I supposed to know today if I'm going to feel like playing Talisman three months from now?

I guess I just need to look for those open gaming tickets and hope for the best.

Are there any stellar events I should check out? Someone suggested the big AEG thing but it's $32 and that seems like a lot.

More
14 May 2014 15:19 #178091 by hotseatgames
hehe... just wait until you find an event you really want, try to buy tickets, and they are sold out within minutes. Welcome to GenCon.

And I pray you had them send your tickets. The Willcall line is its own special Hell.

More
14 May 2014 20:12 #178114 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Gen Con 2014

repoman wrote: Yah if it's gaming your after WBC is the tops followed closely by Trashfest NE in November.

This. No event tickets/ pre reg for events ( many sell out in advance). WBC you just show up.

Plus, many F: ATTIES are at WBC.

More
15 May 2014 01:06 #178122 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
For years, I was a GenCon detractor. Last year, I did a three week road trip: WBC, then visited my mom and a couple friends, then went to GenCon with Pete. Yeah, WBC is less commercial, but if you meet up with guys you know and don't see often, GenCon is worth it. I plan on going this year (if a hotel can be found).

More
15 May 2014 08:02 #178128 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Gen Con 2014
Got my plane ticket bought, threw some specific session into my want list (Relic, Hegemonic, Archipelago, The Witcher, Eggs & Empires, Nothing Personal). If I don't get them, that's fine, I also grabbed tickets for the open gaming. I'm planning on picking up Imperial Settlers, the new game by Ignacy T, and that Z-Man Kemble's Crusade sounds fun. And I know folks who will be there.

Barring unforeseen circumstances I'll also be at TFNE and some time I'll have to check out WBC. Hell, maybe some year I'll trip, fall down a flight of stairs, hit my head on a radiator, and find myself wanting to go to BGG Con.

More
15 May 2014 09:40 #178129 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Gen Con 2014

Legomancer wrote: I'm going to be at GenCon for the first time this year. No idea what to expect. I guess the Events are opening up soon and the boardgaming events are all "play Settlers of Catan with a bunch of strangers" which doesn't excite me. I'm looking for games that I can't normally play but not seeing a whole lot.

Listen, I've gone 4 years in a row and this will be my 5th. Hang out with our mutual friend and you'll be fine. There's plenty of open gaming and they have a big ass room set up for it. That's where the shit gets done.

That said, the events will fill up more as time goes on. Get in on the Heroscape tournament for sure, that's a great time. Also, most of the "real" gaming goes on AFTER the doors close, with friends at hotel rooms. There's a bar, I forget the name, but our mutual friend knows what it is, that caters to gamers and they've always got shit going on.

It's a good time, and it's where all the new releases happen, so lots of guys will be cracking open their new shinies all over the floor, at tables, anywhere with a flat surface, so you'll get a chance to play previously unreleased stuff.

Roswell and I will be there, too, so you at least will have ~someone~ you know who will always be down for a game.

More
15 May 2014 09:43 #178130 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Gen Con 2014

daveroswell wrote: For years, I was a GenCon detractor. Last year, I did a three week road trip: WBC, then visited my mom and a couple friends, then went to GenCon with Pete. Yeah, WBC is less commercial, but if you meet up with guys you know and don't see often, GenCon is worth it. I plan on going this year (if a hotel can be found).

Roswell:
This is the plan -
1. Get a room by the AP.
2. Get a cab in the AM to head to the center.
3. Spend all day there.
4. Spend all night at the "Private Venue".
5. Get the Hilton shuttle to the AP.
6. Call our hotel and get a shuttle from the AP to our hotel.
7. Pass out.

RINSE REPEAT

Because you're being such a weenie about it, I'll book it today. Lego - if you don't have a place to stay LET ME KNOW TODAY and I'll get a suite, you can split it with us if you're so inclined.

More
15 May 2014 11:15 #178162 by hotseatgames
It is crazy how fast the gencon room blocks disappeared. I registered about 20 minutes late and ended up stuck out by the airport. I'll definitely be following Pete's above strategy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds