October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest Northeast 2014: The Official Thread

More
03 Oct 2014 21:02 #188078 by Gary Sax
Yeah, i wasn't sure whether I was going to rent a car and which hotel I'm staying at. I'll straight that out in the next few weeks.

My goals for trashfest:

Play Starcraft (sweet)
Play Clash of Cultures
??? (anything awesome that I can't play at home)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2014 21:47 #188080 by repoman
Ok a bit more confirmed info:

The location is

B.P.O.E. (Elks) Lodge
9 North Park St
Vernon-Rockville, CT 06066

According to Google Maps, it is 21 minutes from the bus/train station in Hartford and it is 29 minutes from Bradley Airport. If you are taking one of those modes of transportation and need a lift to the location, we will get you here one way or the other.

Schedule

Friday Nov. 7th from 6pm Until Bartender says "Get Out" (12am maybe?):

In the main building in the lounge. That's the room with tables, juke box, pool table and cheese bowling table right off the bar. The bartender has the option to make "last call" early if he isn't making money so I'm not telling you you HAVE to drink but it wouldn't hurt. Last year we used this time for fun lighter/dexterity type stuff. We will have a Crokinole Board, Tumblin' Dice (hopefully), and the classic block game Cornerstone plus anything anybody else brings.

I am starting a new job and it has a hefty commute. I will do my absolute best to be there at 6pm but if I can't I will make sure somebody is there. (I'm sure the Uba and Al will be there) As guests, you will have to sign in at the bar when you arrive listing me as your host.

Saturday Nov. 8th from 10am to 12am:

In the Carriage House. This is a large private room that is traditionally used for Bingo. There is a rule that we can't "serve" alcohol without paying a bartender to be on duty. So, I will have a healthy supply of Solo cups which may or may not be used to contain liquids of your choice that you have brought with you. Do not leave beer bottles etc in view. Keep em in a cooler or in a bag or whatever. I don't expect them to be all Gestapo about it but I don't want to give them an excuse either.

Now we call it Trashfest but any and all games are welcome. If you dig it, bring it. I hope to set up some Heroscape and if enough people are interested we can do a little tournament. No prizes other than bragging rights. Unless I get a huge response an then we can get a gift card or something.

As of now, Peggy my darling wife plans on setting up a taco bar burrito bowl buffet type thing for dinner. The cost of which is yet to be determined but will be reasonable. Otherwise you are on your own for food. There is every type of fast food within 10 minutes of the hall so no big deal.

Sunday Nov. 9th from 12pm until last person leaves:

Back in the main building and the lounge. The tables are a bit smaller but we'll be close to the bar so hurray!

We will be guests at all times so even if the members are curious or give you "the eye" please be nice to them. They were all impressed by us last year so no need to change that. Be prepared for the "like Monopoly?" question.

If you have any problems or questions or lock yourself out of your car again, my cell number is 860-eight one eight-2993

More
03 Oct 2014 22:04 #188081 by Gary Sax
Hit us with bills for paypal ahead of time to defray the cost, btw

More
04 Oct 2014 11:34 #188088 by engineer Al

More
17 Oct 2014 02:37 - 17 Oct 2014 02:38 #188781 by Gary Sax
Yo, getting a hotel, maybe renting a car tomorrow. Car at airport, but what are my good options close to the spots that we'll be spending time? What city should I search for? I know you had some suggestions of spots in your initial post.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2014 02:38 by Gary Sax.

More
17 Oct 2014 05:37 #188787 by KingPut
Repoman,
QueenPut and SpawnPut may come over Friday and Saturday for some gaming. It depends on how much shopping and other stuff they want to do. SpawnPut went to a gaming club at College and they made her play Martin Wallace's Automobile so I think she might be up for something a little more exciting than Economics 101.

More
17 Oct 2014 06:30 #188789 by repoman
Gary,

The towns to search for are Vernon and/or Manchester. Vernon has a Holiday Inn Express and a Quality Inn. These are about 10 min maximum from the club. Avoid the Days Inn and Motel 6 as they are dumps.

Manchester has a number of hotels around the Buckland Road, Pleasant Valley Rd, Hake Rd, Slater St. Most likely these will be a bit more expensive (they are Marriotts of various varieties) but all are about 15 min from the club.

King,

They are welcome and encouraged to come and play games that are fun. Automobile.....*shudder*

More
17 Oct 2014 14:17 #188819 by Gary Sax
Sweet, the arrangements are all made.

More
18 Oct 2014 07:44 - 18 Oct 2014 07:45 #188852 by repoman
I've been a bit busy with the new job so I haven't been able to hype it as much as I would like but I'm pretty excited about it.

I hope that if you are on the fence, you decide to come. It was super fun last year. Everybody was very nice and friendly. AND we played all kinds of fun games! There wasn't a single game of Blargen Von Blugenblatt. But there was Ascending Empires.

So, come on out.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2014 07:45 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
26 Oct 2014 17:40 #189339 by ubarose
Registration for Trashfest is open: Register Now

It would be greatly appreciated if people registered and paid as soon as possible so Jeff can get a headcount. Deadline for registration and payment if you want dinner on Sat is Nov. 5.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Saul Goodman

More
27 Oct 2014 09:28 #189367 by Legomancer
Uba and Jeff, I am definitely in. I have to wait a couple days for the money to be transferred to PAyPal, but once it's done I will register.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
27 Oct 2014 14:29 #189391 by Legomancer
BTW when I say I'm def in, I'm primarily talking Saturday. I'm there for certain on Sat, will have to see on other days. I've passed the announcement on to my other gaming cohorts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
28 Oct 2014 14:42 #189463 by Saul Goodman
Registered and reserved a hotel room. Looking forward to this!
I'll be leaving after work on Friday. Not sure whether train or bus but I'll likely be arriving in Hartford 9:30/10. Would it be possible to get a pickup though?
Also - since I'll be without a car will there be rides (like last year) between the hotel and lodge? I'll be staying at the Quality Inn if anyone else is staying there...

More
30 Oct 2014 11:09 #189566 by Legomancer
Okay, paid and will def be there for Saturday.

Really looking forward to it!

More
02 Nov 2014 21:19 #189741 by Gary Sax
Alright. Reading Starcraft rulebook this week so I'm ready. Anyone want to play anything else unusual I should prepare for?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds