October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

The F:AT Career Network

More
12 Dec 2014 23:06 - 12 Dec 2014 23:18 #192659 by Mr. White
I steward a DataWarehouse for UT System, but I come from a non-technical background.

I was 4th/5th grade teacher for 6 years, but came across the following program at the University of Texas:
www.utexas.edu/its/analyst-training/

(I needed to find something that paid better after we decided my wife would stay at home with the kids.)

Basically, after passing an aptitude test, they train you (paid) for six months to be a software developer. They're looking for folks with soft/people skills that they can train to be technical because as an analyst at UT you sorta wear a few other hats as well and usually have face time with clients.

Anyway, when I went through the program (8 years ago in Jan) they paid me more than I made when I worked in the classroom and all I did was train for 6 months. It helped me launch into a second career without having to go back to school/take on student loans.

It's a sweet deal if you're looking for something new.

CS majors and other technical folks also go into the program because it used to be required to work as a developer at UT.

I've still got strong ties with the program coordinator and managers so if anyone is interested in jumping into a new field (and willing to move to Austin), give it a shot and let me know.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2014 23:18 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2014 01:49 #192667 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: I steward a DataWarehouse for UT System, but I come from a non-technical background.

I was 4th/5th grade teacher for 6 years, but came across the following program at the University of Texas:
www.utexas.edu/its/analyst-training/

(I needed to find something that paid better after we decided my wife would stay at home with the kids.)

Basically, after passing an aptitude test, they train you (paid) for six months to be a software developer. They're looking for folks with soft/people skills that they can train to be technical because as an analyst at UT you sorta wear a few other hats as well and usually have face time with clients.

Anyway, when I went through the program (8 years ago in Jan) they paid me more than I made when I worked in the classroom and all I did was train for 6 months. It helped me launch into a second career without having to go back to school/take on student loans.

It's a sweet deal if you're looking for something new.

CS majors and other technical folks also go into the program because it used to be required to work as a developer at UT.

I've still got strong ties with the program coordinator and managers so if anyone is interested in jumping into a new field (and willing to move to Austin), give it a shot and let me know.

Interesting program, does it go into UX/UI at all?

More
13 Dec 2014 03:53 - 13 Dec 2014 03:59 #192669 by Grudunza
I'm a kids/family music entertainer. Since my wife died last year I've been hiring a lot of different people to do some of the graphic, illustration and animation work that she used to do. I've primarily been using the Freelancer website, but I'm always willing to work with anyone if your style goes well with my material (see my YouTube channel or website for examples of that... search "Eric Herman"). These are sporadic jobs and certainly wouldn't be steady or lucrative, but if that's the kind of thing you do, then I can possibly provide a side project here and there.

On the other side of that, I create a pretty wide variety of music, including orchestral pieces and other things that aren't really in the "kids" genre, and have written full-length plays and comedy sketches and such, so if for some reason you need music/scoring for something, or comedic scripting, let me know.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2014 03:59 by Grudunza.

More
13 Dec 2014 05:09 - 13 Dec 2014 05:12 #192670 by Dogmatix

ubarose wrote: I got laid off 16 months ago. I'm looking for someone to help me write my resume. Has anyone here ever worked with a resume writer that they can recommend ?

Lots of good resume advice above. That said, as far as resume writers go, yea, me. Was a period where I wrote upwards of 500 resumes a year across a 5-year stretch. These days, I write far fewer in favor of evaluating them (and then beating on my writers to unfuck what they've submitted); but I've put together a million of them over 15 years of federal proposal writing.

Lemme know...
Last edit: 13 Dec 2014 05:12 by Dogmatix.

More
13 Dec 2014 10:08 #192679 by DukeofChutney
I have to hand in my PhD thesis on the 23rd, then I'll be examined on it sometime in feb or march. Its on pollution management in rivers and i am generally trained as a hydrologist/environmental scientist. I then have to look for a job. I am willing to consider anywhere on earth so if any of you see any interesting links to environmental sector or water resource jobs send them to me.

More
13 Dec 2014 12:33 #192690 by metalface13

Grudunza wrote: I'm a kids/family music entertainer. Since my wife died last year I've been hiring a lot of different people to do some of the graphic, illustration and animation work that she used to do. I've primarily been using the Freelancer website, but I'm always willing to work with anyone if your style goes well with my material (see my YouTube channel or website for examples of that... search "Eric Herman"). These are sporadic jobs and certainly wouldn't be steady or lucrative, but if that's the kind of thing you do, then I can possibly provide a side project here and there.

On the other side of that, I create a pretty wide variety of music, including orchestral pieces and other things that aren't really in the "kids" genre, and have written full-length plays and comedy sketches and such, so if for some reason you need music/scoring for something, or comedic scripting, let me know.

I'm sorry for your loss Eric, I didn't hear about that. Check out my portfolio, it's currently at www.cargocollective.com/caseyrogers . I don't do animation, but I also know other designers and illustrators as well. Feel free to send me a PM any time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, OldHippy

More
13 Dec 2014 19:57 #192706 by Grudunza
Nice. I can see something in the Gold Bond or Avis styles working for something of mine.

More
13 Dec 2014 23:23 - 14 Dec 2014 02:06 #192716 by Mr. White
Grudunza, I'm sorry to hear this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Casey asked for some info here, and a few hit me up on PM, so a little more info on that training program.

It is 40hours a week for 6 months, You are paid the entire time. When I went through (about 8 years ago) I think the salary was 38K. The 6 months also serve as a trial. There are tasks you have to complete along the way and if overall your tasks (or challenges) run too late (a day or two over here and there is fine) you get a warning and if it continues, released. For each of these assignments you are assigned a 'trainee analyst' who is someone who previously made it through the program. They will assist you, but also serve to help evaluate your work, personality, etc. Some folks have been released for being jackasses. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you're hard to work with you won't make it.

The basic 6 month course is in mainframe programming doing batch jobs as well as creating websites. The languages you will learn are Natural and Python. If you make it through, then you are assigned somewhere on campus and your specific shop may use additional languages on top of what you learned. There will also be opportunity to specialize, so if say UX is your thing, you can look for projects in that area. I found I was better doing ETL work and messaging data, so I started specializing in DataWarehouses. Naturally, specializing, I make quite a bit more than most that remained as general Software Analysts. (I also moved out from under the University of Texas at Austin and to a System wide level organization - services data for all UT institutions across the state - still located in Austin though)

It's also very common for folks to leave after putting in a few years of work. An example, I know a ton of folks that went over to Map MyFitness during it's startup days, and then hit it when MMF was bought out by Under Armor. Austin's a good town to be in if you have any technical skills...

It's an unspoken contract, but the University would like for you to stick around for at least a few years since they invested in you. I really enjoy the culture (their hiring practice does a lot to weed out the douchebags), the work, and the benefits, so I'll be sticking around so long as we live in Texas.

If you have any other questions hit me a PM or here.

Edit: I failed to mention that your salary goes up after completion of the training. So what I quoted above is a what I got while learning a new trade...not doing any real work...better than student loans...and it was 8 years ago. I'd have to check what it is now.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2014 02:06 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Pugnax555

More
14 Dec 2014 08:51 - 14 Dec 2014 08:52 #192721 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: The F:AT Career Network
I'm a UI/UX full stack engineer for SailPoint, a software company here in Austin. They have been doing all kinds of hiring this year mostly in the web development area, but now they are looking for marketers, tech writers, sales engineers, sales, all kinds of positions.

ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH16/ats/careers/search...?org=SAILPOINT&cws=1

Most are for local here in Austin, but positions like sales, marketing, sale engineers, etc. can be global.

But if you're looking and seem like a good fit, I am always liking the referral bonuses!

My linkedin www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=11475543 , because in my industry it's all about a digital footprint and networking.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2014 08:52 by Chapel.

More
14 Dec 2014 11:02 #192725 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: The F:AT Career Network
I am the IS Liaison for an R&D Dept at a HUGE biotech company in southern California. I don't do the science, but I make sure the scientists can do their science and they do it to the regs when it comes to electronic data integrity. There's billions on the line, the incentives to cheat are material.

I don't have any sway whatsoever in hiring, though, sadly. Like I said, it's a big place. I am a "Level 6" employee and have never had a direct report.

What I can do is help you punch up résumés, cover letters, and slide decks for employers. I very much subscribe to the Tufte school of semantic styles and will edit your letter to the bone. Alternately, I could dress it up in yards of biz school bullshit if that's what the job needs.

More
14 Dec 2014 13:45 #192726 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Re: The F:AT Career Network
I work with stand-up, copy writing, a bit of translating (English-Danish), board game design, and recently I've started teaching drama at a high school. So unless you want to book me for a show (I do perform in English - especially about really geeky stuff) or if you want to try your luck on the Danish comedy scene I'm not of much use networking-wise.

But if you ever plan of working in Denmark, I'll be happy to tell you all you need to know about Danes.

More
14 Dec 2014 18:16 #192735 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Re: The F:AT Career Network

Mr. White wrote: If you have any other questions hit me a PM or here.

What's the aptitude test like? Do you need prior programming experience, or is it more of a "we want people who smart, and we'll teach them what they need to know" kind of thing?

More
14 Dec 2014 18:38 #192736 by Mr. White
Yes.

I didn't know anything at all about programming and never figured myself to be a computer person. My degree is in education.

The test itself is made up of three sections (if I recall): math, pattern recognition, and logic problems.

More
14 Dec 2014 20:32 #192741 by engelstein
I'm looking to hire in several different areas:

Programmers, specifically embedded firmware. Micros that go into devices like garage door openers or medical devices or things like that.

Project Manager, Technical: Head up a portfolio of our new product developments. Preferable someone with a technical background (either ME, EE, or software)

Quality: Looking for a solid quality director to keep manufacturing and our vendor base on the right track. Manage our quality team of 3 here in NJ, and six in Asia. Plus manage our internal ISO9000 system.

More
14 Dec 2014 20:54 #192745 by Cranberries

ubarose wrote: I got laid off 16 months ago. I'm looking for someone to help me write my resume. Has anyone here ever worked with a resume writer that they can recommend ?

My friend runs red rocket, she's smart and gets good reviews.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds