October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC 2015

More
12 Aug 2015 22:26 #208408 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic WBC 2015
Al may have convinced me to go to WBC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2015 09:46 #208430 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic WBC 2015
Al:

I hope you and Shelly like the Jelly/Jam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
13 Aug 2015 11:54 #208439 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic WBC 2015
Host horror stories aside, I want to hear a recap of the TI3 tournament!

More
13 Aug 2015 12:19 - 13 Aug 2015 17:44 #208441 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic WBC 2015
Quick notes from my 2015 WBC experience:

It was fun playing a team game of Arena of the Planeswalkers against Al and Dan/Dutch, particularly since our team won (due to a mind control effect) the turn before they were about to triumph. Dan was positively irate at my blue shenanigans; this parallels the original MTG, of course, as it's always painful to have your attacking creatures unsummoned - particularly after they've been boosted with multiple power-enhancing effects. I'm still not sure who my winning partner was, though. ThirstyMan? Andyfromkuwait? (are they the same person?)

As a historical note, I've never fully recovered from the fact that, in the original Heroscope, my kids mostly enjoyed building magnificent landscapes with the terrain tiles, rather than actually playing the game. I own nearly every expansion, but I'm not sure that we played more than 10-12 full games over the six-year period when we were active 'scapers.

Thanks also to Dan/Al for teaching Away Missions. I've never been taught a game by the designer(s) before, which was a treat. I just placed an order for the game yesterday...

New games (to me) that I really enjoyed: Prussia 20 (both scenarios were excellent), Space Cadets: Away Missions (masochistic pleasure), Welcome to the Dungeon (clever filler).

Stuff that was fun, but I wouldn't purchase: Tank on Tank Eastfront (wargame equivalent of Heroscape), Arena of the Planeswalkers (good times, but Heroscape is behind me at this point).

Gaming highlights: Eldritch Horror (we cruised to a win somehow), Cheeky Monkey, Legend of the Moonsword (always epic and ridiculous), Bucket King, Middle-earth Quest (not sure my 'good' opponents agree), LOTR Fellowship deckbuilding (impossible mode), Prophecy (good to revisit after a long break), Zooloretto (classic), Thunder Alley (ditto).

Games that were mediocre, or sucked: Scopa (pitiful 'classic'), Sun Tzu (not my thing), Homeland (generic in every sense), Mogul (overlong filler), Eggs and Empires (yuck), Frontier Stations (weak VPG coop, their specialty).

Games in constant rotation in open gaming: Churchill, Triumph & Tragedy , Flick 'em Up, Codenames. I only played Codenames, but I liked it. I've ordered T&T, and now have plans to trade away Victory in Europe (unopened and unplayed).

I played tons of other games during my six-day visit. These were only the high and lowlights.

I'm looking forward to next year, for sure.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 17:44 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dutch

More
13 Aug 2015 13:41 #208445 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic WBC 2015
I love Scopa. But I think it's one of those games like Dominos or Mah Jong. You have to play it for money with people at least one generation older than you who mutter, curse and exclaim in a forgein language when they play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Dutch

More
13 Aug 2015 15:24 #208455 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic WBC 2015
It's interesting how many wargamers there actually are. They feel like such a tiny niche on, say, BGG. But at cons I hear wargames in rotation all the time.

Though to be fair, WBC is a wargamish thing to begin with.

More
13 Aug 2015 15:36 - 13 Aug 2015 15:37 #208456 by ubarose
This photo shows about HALF of the wargaming room. It was taken early on the first day. By later in the week it would be totally filled.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 15:37 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
13 Aug 2015 15:37 #208457 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic WBC 2015

wkover wrote:

Games that were mediocre, or sucked: Scopa (pitiful 'classic'), Sun Tzu (not my thing), Homeland (generic in every sense), Mogul (overlong filler), Eggs and Empires (yuck), Frontier Stations (weak VPG coop, their specialty).

I'll take responsibility for the Scopa failure. it's a great game but apparently, the art was too hard to decipher and count for our stalwart old farts. They couldn't grasp the number of anything. Also, we we went two full deals with no sweeps which really misrepresents the game poorly.

I'll agree on Homeland. I think there are some decent ideas there but it's billed a hidden team game and it fails that first hurdle.

More
13 Aug 2015 15:39 #208459 by Dutch
Replied by Dutch on topic WBC 2015
WBC is a direct descendant of the old, original AvalonCon, which exclusively featured tournaments of Avalon Hill wargames. It's morphed quite a bit over the years (first, when it introduced euro-games in competition, and then more recently with its embrace of open gaming), but you can still detect the grognards in its DNA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2015 15:52 #208460 by ubarose

jgriff wrote:
the art was too hard to decipher and count for our stalwart old farts.

Art?? It's a standard deck of cards with the 8, 9 and 10's yanked.

More
13 Aug 2015 19:24 #208478 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic WBC 2015

ubarose wrote:

jgriff wrote: the art was too hard to decipher and count for our stalwart old farts.

Art?? It's a standard deck of cards with the 8, 9 and 10's yanked.

Nuh uh. The one we played looked like this .

More
13 Aug 2015 19:47 #208479 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic WBC 2015
There are beautiful reproductions of old Italian decks out there. We played an old Sicilian deck but there were no numbers on the cards, so you had to count the objects but the real problem was that they couldn't easily tell the Jacks from the Kings. I don't know why, the kings had crowns. I prefer it over a standard card deck but it makes teaching it harder. And the Prime Scoring cheat sheet was in Italian, so that didn't help.

More
13 Aug 2015 21:39 - 15 Aug 2015 03:52 #208485 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic WBC 2015
Monday
High point - Struggle of Booze with 7 great Struggles players (Al, Uba, JGriff, Bobbytweeks, Malloc and Andy Joy). I drank Bulleit bourbon and played the Dutch. Some how I ended up way ahead after the first war, Uba was 2nd or 3rd and Al ended up way in last. I was beaten down during the second war and only 1 point ahead of Bobbytweeks Buccheri and 3 points ahead of Malloc Buccheri. But everyone at the table remembered the #1 commandment in our game group "Never Trust a Buccheri" so I was able to pull off the victory.

Low point - Wellington - I played the French North against GBubbs (England) the best Wellington player in our club and Pete Reese the 3 time Wellington champion (Spain). My teammate in the South was pretty new the game so we were completely destroyed in by 1813.

Tuesday
High points - Demoing Aerial Assault and had fun with some teenagers playing the game. Sold my first non-kick starter copy of the game. Eldridge Horror with Wkover. Gbubbs and Wilson was also excellent. I think that was the first time I'd won at the game.

Low points
The Host breakfast. Actually, it was better this year than last year. Most days the scrambled eggs were ok and I only had one day with sour milk.

Wednesday
High Point - Great Campaigns of the American Civil War - Battle Above the Cloud - I played a short scenario. It was real close game I lost on a near impossible die roll by my opponent (1 vs 6). Ed Beach showed off the the new Atlanta map. It looks great. I think it'll have a whole bunch of scenarios. The full campaign game will be about 90 day but they'll have a few shorter campaign games.

Fief I think I was the only person at the table who still likes the game. Malloc my husband died of plague so I married Bobbytweeks. With me and Bobbytweeks allied, I elected my bishop to cardinal and then Pope while me and Bobbytweeks armies dismantled one of the players at the table for the win.

Battle Star Galatica up until we Dutch (Human) shot Al (Cylon) and me Dutch, and Jay (Human) threw Uba (Cylon) in the Brig.

Low Point BSG - After that point we ended up having to deal with rules questions without Bernie and other crap for the next hour or so.

Thursday
High Point - Pulled off a quick 3 hour, 4 player victory in Ti3. Gbubbs was in the lead going into the last turn but I took his artifact planet and he couldn't take it back because I had a diplomat on the planet. I popped Bureaucracy and scored a another vp for win before anyone knew what hit them.
Also, the arrival of the beautifully painted set of Space Cadets - Away Missions

Low point - Flooding in the Ti3 room. I ended up with splash damage from tile fall from the ceiling.

Friday
High Point - Ti3 Final with seven players on the crazy two level map. Being the defending champion I had a big target on me. I played Sol. Malloc played the Mindnet, JBubbs and 4 other players were at the table. I jumped off to a quick 2 - 0 lead but then I started to stumble a little. On the 2nd to last turn, I was in a position to make up ground by taking Bureaucracy and scoring 2 objectives but somebody played an action card to prevented me from taking Bureaucracy. I forgot I had a spy leader that I could have scarified to kill the action card. Malloc ended up taking the M. Rex and scoring his secret objective and jumping ahead to 8 vps., the Turtles had 7 vps and I was tied with the Embers for 3rd with 6 vps. The turtles pulled the Bureaucracy card and ended the game giving Malloc the win, the Turtles 2nd and me tied for 3rd. The game finished in 5 1/2 hours.

There was so much awesomeness at WBC this year I almost forgot Fury of Dracula with Jay, Dogmatix and Al against Uba. Very fun but shortish game. I had fun playing Mina the bait for Drac.

Low point - Andy Thirsty-man was sick as a dog. And Army Pete, one of my room mates had drunk the Host's plague infested water and had to run to bathroom every 20 minutes during a game of Study of Emerald.

Saturday
High Point - The surprise arrival of Repoman and Fralish. Playing Runewars with Bernie, Sal and Jay. Playing Pax Porfiriana with Bernie, Sal, Jay and Repoman. Pax, The Duke and Planewalker were my 3 favorite new game to me at WBC this year.

Big game of Flick 'em up with everyone were great every night. But even better with the side bets with Jay.

Low Point - The best worst game of Cosmic Encounter. Lesson learned, 8 players is too much for CE. I still had fun but we packed it half way.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 03:52 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Gary Sax, wkover, ChristopherMD, Msample, engineer Al

More
13 Aug 2015 21:45 #208486 by Dutch
Replied by Dutch on topic WBC 2015
Now that I realize you actually suffered splash damage from the TI3 downpour, I feel guilty for laughing about it! I hope all the damage was confined to your person (wounds heal), and that none of your game components was wrecked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2015 23:47 #208490 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic WBC 2015
Nice, excited to hear more about the GCACW game. Need to buy a copy of the reprint of the first one before it goes out of print again.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds